cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blowing dust from campground road

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at a campground this weekend that has gravel and dirt roads. As I pulled out of my campsite I glanced in the driver side mirror and saw another camper waving his arms. I glanced in the passenger side mirror and I was stirring up a huge dust cloud with the exhaust. (I drive a diesel motorhome) I was not speeding, and in fact I was driving below the posted campground speed limit. My exhaust tip shoots straight out, not down. I let off the accelerator and the dust cloud got smaller, but I still had to get out of the campground and didn't expect anyone to offer to push me onto the road. When I accelerated again, the cloud starting again. I felt bad, but don't know what else I could have done. The sun had been hot all weekend and there was no rain.

Never had that happen before and just curious on thoughts.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog
26 REPLIES 26

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
And that is the reason I have never had one of those logo rubber mud flaps hanging from the back of the Motor Home as they just send the dust right back into the engine compartment. Compared our rig with a friends rig after a several week long camping trip. He had the logo hanging from the back of his rig and his engine compartment was very dirty compared to ours.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
! Maybe if the campground gets some people complaining about the dust, they'll stone the roads or pave them and the problem is solved.
Not quite that simple. Paving with asphalt costs around $50.00 a running foot, not counting prepping the base. That prep is at least another $10 per foot, meaning a park with 1 mile of interior roads is spending $300,000+ for that pavement. Then you have the issue of maintenance. With gravel, you throw down a couple shovels of road base and potholes are repaired. With an asphalt road, not so simple. Same issue if there is a need to dig up a water, sewer or electrical line, the repair of the road will likely exceed the costs of the repair of the line. In severe winter climes like we have in Montana, the roads take a beating.
We do add rock to our roads on a regular basis. It too is expensive,and is only temporary. As vehicle drive over the rock, it is forced into the ground and the fines rise to the surface. The only other treatments are either a calcium chloride spray or one of several vegetable oil treatments such as a soybean oil.
Our exerience, and we have tried them all, is they also only last about 1 season. The best treatment is environmentally unsound, which is waste motor oil. That stuff works great but is very messy and either highly frowned upon or outright illegal many places.
Unfortunately, by late in the season dust becomes more of an issue due to the fact that any treatment of a gravel roads decays over time. I wish there was a better way, but with 40,000 LB plus rigs driving over the roads every day and budgets that don't have the advantage of taxpayer input, parks with existing gravel roads are likely to stay that way.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the replies. My chassis is a side mount radiator, Spartan Mountain Master.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps your fellow camper thought something was wrong with your rig?

It is very considerate of you to ask and be concerned about how your footprint affects others and if you can do something about it.

Maybe there is, maybe not?

Good luck 😉

pusherpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I have he same problem with our 04 HR Imperial. Side radiator sucks air in the side and out the bottom creating a dust cloud. When the engine is cool the fan isn't running fast enough to create the cloud so I leave a CG before it warms up to that point. On the way in is another story. The fan is hydraulic and controlled by a wax valve that provides continuously variable fan speed depending on the water temp.
Ron

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if we could remove all the trees, all the dirt and all the animals that poop in the woods. Nature would be so much better. Leave the lights on all night so you can drown out the scary stars. Better leave the radio on too, birds make a terrible noise.

You forgot no kids, bicycles, golf carts, pets or campfires. :B

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Mine does the same and it can be obnoxious. It is a Freightliner issue and there is a OE modification available and many have been successful with their own design as well.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have spoken to the operators of a private campground that we stay at every year about practicing some sort of dust control , the crushed stone they use really makes a lot of dust when it has been dry weather for a week or so and added to the pollen it can get pretty bad so they have started wetting the main roads by using a water tank in a truck and It has been much better but as others have said it is camping things are going to get dirty but at times it can become a health issue for some people .Making dust as you leave a campground is not anyone fault it is part of the deal
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't it be nice if we could remove all the trees, all the dirt and all the animals that poop in the woods. Nature would be so much better. Leave the lights on all night so you can drown out the scary stars. Better leave the radio on too, birds make a terrible noise.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
It's not your fault. Don't feel bad. I think everyone at one time or another have driven a car or truck or camper down a dirt road and had another vehicle come the other way. It's a dust storm where you can't see anything for a while. Do you blame that driver? No, of course not. That's life! Maybe if the campground gets some people complaining about the dust, they'll stone the roads or pave them and the problem is solved.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it a side radiator Freightliner ? If so, common, known issue. They have a kit to address the dust storm, but it's pricey... you can fab one up yourself with sheet metal.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, who would have thought they'd get dusty camping!? Nothing you could've done and they would have to wash their rig sometime anyway. I don't worry about small things like that so if I was camping near you I would've waved goodbye and safe travels.