cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bouncy new shocks

Ev
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had the shocks replaced on our MH was getting a rough ride so I thought I would start there well the ride is still rough up front but now the whole rig is very bouncy over certain highways (like a bouncy house ??) I don’t know what kind of shocks the service station installed but it was a truck shop and to me the shocks seem heavy duty any thoughts about the bouncing up and down.
Thanks,
Ev
2002 Georgie Boy Landau 3402DS Ford V-10
12 REPLIES 12

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like the shocks are not doing their job, probably to light for your MH.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Shocks have a break-in period. Until they wear-in, the stiction can be brutal.
I once installed new struts on our Eldorado and thought I had ruined it - it road like a kids wagon! Two weeks later it rode like a.. well, Cadillac.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My thoughts… First, what shocks did you have installed? It surprises me that you let the truck stop install a set and do not know what they chose. Since you have a Ford chassis I assume the originals were Bilstiens. The replacement Bilstiens ) spec’d by Bilstien) are not the same as original (spec’d by Ford) but provide a better ride. Anyhow, what tires do you have, and have you set the pressures according to the tire chart? Using the GAWR is a good place to start if you don’t know your actual. I’ve found traveling with full fuel, full water provides a better ride. One thing that also adds to a better ride is to slow down.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
He could be talking porpoising?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

GIB2
Explorer
Explorer
Bouncy to me would make me think tire balance .You said tires were new possibly you lost a wheel weight. I wouldn't be over inflating max recommendation on side of tire. That shouldn't cause bounce but will ware center of tires.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Need also tire size and ply rating.
Do you have a tag axle?
Even 85 in front maybe too much.
If you have heavy weight behind the driving wheels, it can make the front light and cause bouncing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
What chassis?

What shocks did you just have installed?

If the "85psi recommended" is from the your GVWR plaque? If so, that PSI is based on that axle being loaded to its GAWR. As mentioned by others, this MAY have you way over-inflated. No way to know until you weigh it.

Do not be concerned about the PSI increase while driving. The tire engineers took that into consideration. Their pressure recommendations are "at current ambient temperature before driving".
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Ev
Explorer
Explorer
I haven’t weighed my RV recently but I run my front tires at 90psi recommended is 85psi I have a TPMS and generally the pressure gets up 96psi or so while on the road and my tires are new
2002 Georgie Boy Landau 3402DS Ford V-10

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was the service station experienced with heavy RVs? If recent ask them to fix it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
As enblethen mentioned....tire pressure really makes a difference.

Have you weighed your RV and set the tire pressure to the tire manufacturer's recommended pressure?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you weighed your rig?
What air pressure are you running?
What chassis is your rig on?
Tire pressure can make a big difference.
Proper loading tp balance the rig. After weighing rig, check to see how it compares to your rig's capacities.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gotta have stiffer shocks (maybe even adjustable coil-overs).