cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brake buddy

3Fivers51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Jayco Greyhawk and have been using the Brake Buddy Classic for my towed. I am having trouble with this unit as it keeps blowing fuses so I am taking it in for repair. I am however wondering what other RV'ers are using for their towed vehicles. I don't have a diesel and so I don't have air brakes so that will weed out all those possibilities. Any thoughts on what people are using, likes and dislikes as I may have to look to replace my unit
Thanks, Bill
6 REPLIES 6

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using a Ready Brake system. Other than the tow bar(normal hookup) there is one cable to hookup. No power, no setup(after the install) nothing to set in and hook to brake pedal(again after the install. Works for me! Cost is less than many others and if at all handy you can self install. Took less than an hour after good read of directions.

LEN

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
I never had a fuse blown by my BB but I seemed to have a lack of consistent power when using the toad DC plug. After I sent BB back to have it checked out with no issues found, they sent me the dedicated fuse line plug and I have not had an issue since. However, some time after that I also had to replace my toad battery and I think that also was contributing to the power issue. Although I have gone back and forth before I bought the BB and after as to another braking mechanism, I have nothing but good things to speak to and the techs are very deliberate and friendly when I have called about concerns.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
LadyRVer wrote:
I, too, had a dedicated power line for the BB power. BB sent all the needed parts for installation of the dedicated line to the battery. Ended the blown fuse problems.

Same here. BB's Kit is along these lines
But now, they send a METAL socket (which is actually essential) and the Fuse is now a covered ATO "blade" type. That Kit is the way to go. It isn't like you save any installation work by not doing it. The Breakaway Switch wiring has to piece the firewall anyway.

OK, my Editorial. We've always had my truck and DW's car to choose from as toads. Replaced one pair with another pair, still two to choose from. A Brake-in-a-Box makes sense. With only ONE toad, I'd opt for something built in. There've been times we got boxed in and you can't back a toad. Disconnecting that Box adds to the frustration. For us, it's OK on trips, since we usually go someplace for a week or so. The BB comes out, the Roadmaster Snowplow Frame comes off, and I don't have it to deal with again for awhile. Daily stops, needing to drive the toad? Something built in. Maybe ReadyBrute Elite...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, had a dedicated power line for the BB power. BB sent all the needed parts for installation of the dedicated line to the battery. Ended the blown fuse problems.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I blew out the compressor on my BB right away by using the socket in my vehicle.

BB repaired it, and I built a dedicated 15A socket and have had no problem since.

Usually, auto sockets have wire that is way too small to carry the current, regardless of the fuse size.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
When we had a Brake Buddy, we had numerous problems with operation. They insisted that I needed a dedicated 20 amp power source and sent me a fused kit to install directly to the battery power block. Are you using a "factory" power socket that came with your toad? If so that could be your problem. Our BB was shipped to the plant 7 times in about 5 years, the last time the repair lasted two weeks. Switched over to a Patriot at a show when they offered a $400 trade any for any other "Brake in a Box". The Patriot has gone in 3 times since 2011, recently for a software failure, twice for battery charging problems. We do full time so the braking system is used a lot.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog