cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brake for Toad?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought an Itasca 29 ft. Sprint, 2003 and will tow a 2700 lb. Chevy Sonic. I'm at least going to start without having braking on the Sonic. It will be well under the 3000 lb. Illinois limit. It seems this will save around $1500 and most feel it will not be a safety issue. Just wondering if anyone has had experience towing with and without braking on the toad?
Jayco-noslide
13 REPLIES 13

Liltippy
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Liltippy wrote:
+1 for ReadyBrute Elite. Towbar and brake all in one for around $1k. Very reliable, effective and makes you legal. Mine works well towing a Chevy HHR

Try making an insurance claim after an accident and see what your insurance company says when they learn you did NOT have a braking system.

Y'know, we see this statement a LOT about this issue, and it has frequently been challenged, with no results.
Well, now, here is YOUR chance:
The challenge is, show the insurance policy language which gives the insurance company the right to deny a claim for lack of towed vehicle braking.
The second part of the challenge is to show where any insurance company has ever denied such a claim.
Yes, it is undeniable that towed vehicle braking IS a good idea. However, keep in mind that the companies that manufacture such units are notorious for claiming that TRAILER braking laws apply, when they actually don't. In fact, many (if not most) states have no law requiring brakes on a towed MOTOR VEHICLE. Some states DO have braking performance laws, such as Montana (MCA 61-9-312), which requires that any "combination of vehicles" must be able to stop within 40 feet on a clean dry hard level surface, from 20 MPH (this is a nearly exact mirror of the FMVSS rules).
Also keep in mind that at 60 MPH you will travel 150 to 200 feet before your foot even hits the brake pedal! THEN you have your stopping distance to contend with!
Literally millions of miles have been traveled by RVs with a vehicle in tow, with no trouble at all. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of towed vehicles on the road right now without braking systems.
Again, yes, a braking system is a GOOD IDEA. IF it works as advertised. I have yet to read of ANY testing performed by an independent testing laboratory.

I stand corrected. I would agree it is still a good idea to have a braking system. Also, great we have a choice and not a mandate from federal government. We all can make the choice that works for each individual.
2011 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2007 HHR Toad with ReadyBrute Elite towbar and brake

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Liltippy wrote:
+1 for ReadyBrute Elite. Towbar and brake all in one for around $1k. Very reliable, effective and makes you legal. Mine works well towing a Chevy HHR

Try making an insurance claim after an accident and see what your insurance company says when they learn you did NOT have a braking system.

Y'know, we see this statement a LOT about this issue, and it has frequently been challenged, with no results.
Well, now, here is YOUR chance:
The challenge is, show the insurance policy language which gives the insurance company the right to deny a claim for lack of towed vehicle braking.
The second part of the challenge is to show where any insurance company has ever denied such a claim.
Yes, it is undeniable that towed vehicle braking IS a good idea. However, keep in mind that the companies that manufacture such units are notorious for claiming that TRAILER braking laws apply, when they actually don't. In fact, many (if not most) states have no law requiring brakes on a towed MOTOR VEHICLE. Some states DO have braking performance laws, such as Montana (MCA 61-9-312), which requires that any "combination of vehicles" must be able to stop within 40 feet on a clean dry hard level surface, from 20 MPH (this is a nearly exact mirror of the FMVSS rules).
Also keep in mind that at 60 MPH you will travel 150 to 200 feet before your foot even hits the brake pedal! THEN you have your stopping distance to contend with!
Literally millions of miles have been traveled by RVs with a vehicle in tow, with no trouble at all. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of towed vehicles on the road right now without braking systems.
Again, yes, a braking system is a GOOD IDEA. IF it works as advertised. I have yet to read of ANY testing performed by an independent testing laboratory.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Liltippy wrote:

wait till the lawyer for the person you hit reads your operating manual for your RV that says to use a braking system and you don't have it.
bumpy

Liltippy
Explorer
Explorer

2011 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2007 HHR Toad with ReadyBrute Elite towbar and brake

Horse_Doctor
Explorer
Explorer
I have a brake buddy and this is the fourth toad I have used it on. It is very easy to swap when you change dinghys.
Michael and Mona Greenlee + TJ the wonder dog
2003 Bigfoot 29G
2012 F150 STX 4x4 toad

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
If you hit somebody you will wish you had an auxiliary break system. It will be your fault. See what happens if you go into Canada without a break system. Too many idiots are out there with out a breaking system. Another thing is that you will wear out your motorhome breaks faster and more often. Pay now or pay later!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Just bought an Itasca 29 ft. Sprint, 2003 and will tow a 2700 lb. Chevy Sonic. I'm at least going to start without having braking on the Sonic. It will be well under the 3000 lb. Illinois limit. It seems this will save around $1500 and most feel it will not be a safety issue. Just wondering if anyone has had experience towing with and without braking on the toad?

I would always use a braking system with a breakaway feature.
who is this "most" who feel it will not be a safety issue.
bumpy

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 Coachmen 24' class C and a 2004 Suzuky Grand Vitara 4X4, I have also towed my 88 Montero 4X4 with and with out brakes, today I would not tow either with out an auxiliary brake system, there have been a number of instances where an idiot has made me stop or slow down both on the interste and in town, having the toad brakes alowed me to stop or slow down in a shorter distance.

You have opened a can of worms with this posting, there are those that use brakes and there are those that do not, I will say that it is up to the individual and how comfortable they are with theire set ups.

Maybe you can one day, borrow one unit that is self contained from a fried and test your units and so determin if you want to have one or not.

navegator

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Brake Buddy. Has been used on several of our toads and different MH's.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I currently use the ReadyBrake and have been happy with the product. I previously had a BuddyBrake but found it cumbersome. Before I used a supplemental brake I DID have my toad disconnect due to a faulty weld and pull away from the motorhome. Luckily I was on a wide back road and there was no damage to anyone else. The welding shop picked up the cost of the repair, which included putting the whole front plastic back on the Saturn. The toad still has the scars of that encounter. I now hook up the brake whenever I tow, even short distances. JMHO

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
If you get the NSA ReadyBrute Elite or Blue OX Aladdin/AutoStop towbars you have already saved $1500 and have a fully functional toad brake system.
...most feel it will not be a safety issue...
Famous last words.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, I won't tow a car without an auxiliary brake due to liability/emergency stopping reasons. I second the Ready Brake. It is the one I have, and the only one I recommend.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed a 4,000 pound Jeep Cherokee with and without a brake. If you're handy, Ready Brake is an economical solution. I don't know if you've had the car on scales, but it will weigh more than the manufacturer specified weight. With or without brakes, make sure you don't exceed the gross combined vehicle weight rating for the motorhome chassis.