cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake Issue

Seabass69
Explorer
Explorer
2004 HR scepter, the front brakes like to lock up hard if you have to use ter brakes very hard. dry ground or wet they will lock and slide quickly.... any ideas on what to look at first? Maybe just as simple as new pads on rotors on the front?

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seabass69 wrote:
Ray,IN wrote:
Check for water in tanks, if water is allowed to remain in tanks it can get into the braking system, which gets expensive to repair.
When was the air dryer filter last replaced?

I bought it 2021 and replaced it then, may need to again.. thanks

For trucks with air brakes the dryer filter must be replaced annually, but for our infrequent MH use every 5 years is adequate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you โ€” ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

Seabass69
Explorer
Explorer
oldave wrote:
Many/most brake systems have a proportioning valve that regulates the pressure front to back. I can't say for sure you have one but you probably do.
Your symptom sounds like the rear brakes are not getting their share of air pressure IMHO.
Google & see what they look like.

thanks

Seabass69
Explorer
Explorer
Stim wrote:
Could be a defective relay valve not releasing or operating slowly. ??
Maybe a kinked air hose. ??
With MH stopped, press hard on brake peddle then release and listen for the air to exhaust. Is it instant or time release?
I've worked on hundreds of air brakes on semi's but got out of it before disc came out so I'm guessing a lot.
It should have standard generic air brake parts available at large truck parts stores.

it sounds normal to me but I will look into that, thanks

Seabass69
Explorer
Explorer
Ray,IN wrote:
Check for water in tanks, if water is allowed to remain in tanks it can get into the braking system, which gets expensive to repair.

I bought it 2021 and replaced it then, may need to again.. thanks

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Many/most brake systems have a proportioning valve that regulates the pressure front to back. I can't say for sure you have one but you probably do.
Your symptom sounds like the rear brakes are not getting their share of air pressure IMHO.
Google & see what they look like.

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you โ€” ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
Could be a defective relay valve not releasing or operating slowly. ??
Maybe a kinked air hose. ??
With MH stopped, press hard on brake peddle then release and listen for the air to exhaust. Is it instant or time release?
I've worked on hundreds of air brakes on semi's but got out of it before disc came out so I'm guessing a lot.
It should have standard generic air brake parts available at large truck parts stores.

Seabass69
Explorer
Explorer
oldave wrote:
Are you sure it's disc? My 03 Monaco has drum brakes all around & yours is a Monaco too.

it is disk, air pod on the caliper itself

Seabass69
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Need make sure that the air gets drained from tank. Caliper pistons could be rusted.
How long has it been sitting?

it doesnt sit much, just a little over the winter but this problem was there last year

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure it's disc? My 03 Monaco has drum brakes all around & yours is a Monaco too.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Need make sure that the air gets drained from tank. Caliper pistons could be rusted.
How long has it been sitting?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
And, if floating caliper disk brakes, check that the pins (that the caliper floats on) are clean and lubed.

Pretty easy for dirt, rust, etc to not allow the "lazy pad" to pull away from the disk.

Since it is "air brakes for sure", no worries about changing brake fluid.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would check with your local NAPA

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow