cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

broken ground on 50 amp cord

Mikeborny
Explorer
Explorer
when I removed my 50 amp cord from my Progressive EMS surge protector to put the cord back in the storage bay, the ground came off the cord. I am not able to have it replaced before my next trip this weekend and was able to put it back into the cord after taking it out of the progressive unit. Once I was back in my storage bay, I reattached the Progressive unit and plugged back in to keep the batteries charged. The coach shows it is on a float charge, but I am concerned about any potential issues I may have before I can get it replaced. I do not plan on disconnecting the Progressive unit until I can replace the 50 amp plug.
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390bh-40
hauling 2 Berners,3 kids
11 REPLIES 11

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
those male 50 amp cord caps are a royal pain in the ass to get everything lined up and into the proper position so they fit into the slots. but unless you want to replace the whole cord from the TS your pretty much stuck with this option.
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you saying the ground pin came off the Motor Home's plug?

Replace the plug, Just get a new plug and replace it

There are 4 wires in the cord (cut it off with a hacksaw if you have to)
Green is the Safety Ground
White goes to the flat pin opposite the ground
Red and Black, or black and black to one or the other side flat pins, Does not matter which one is red and which one is black.

It's that easy, do not forget to clamp the cord and seal the cord to the plug body (Goop). Tighten all screws well, Inspect for stray wires (Also called short circuits) I like Power Pull, some do not. Make sure the plug you buy fits if you need to poke it into a small chamber.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
The RV 50 amp plug is a very popular configuration. any electrical supply or hardware store will have them without the handle. Using it with a loose ground is a bad idea. Get it replaced soon.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
Do what 10forty2 said!
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Mikeborny wrote:
any good recommendations for replacement connectors that will fit through the opening in the storage bay? It looks like the replacement heads online that have handles may not fit through the opening.

My old TT had the handle cut off so it would fit through the hole.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
It's not too hard to replace the plug yourself. You can get the plugs at WalMart. The ones with the handle would fit through the access hole in my power bay....not sure about yours, but I would think it should. Buy one and try it before you wire it. If it doesn't fit, then return it. If you don't feel comfortable doing the job yourself, then get an electrician to put it on for you. Doesn't have to be an RV tech, unless you just want to go that route. In either case, I would HIGHLY suggest that you don't try to just stick the blade back into the plug and into the outlet.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Have had similar circumstances actually on the day I wanted to leave. Mobile RV techs are wonderfull. I'd be calling one to see about getting it fixed before departure. Of course if you are only going to boon dock for a couple of days it could wait.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Can it not be dissembled and reattached?
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Mikeborny
Explorer
Explorer
any good recommendations for replacement connectors that will fit through the opening in the storage bay? It looks like the replacement heads online that have handles may not fit through the opening.
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390bh-40
hauling 2 Berners,3 kids

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be sure you have this ground connected if you are using shore power. This is where your RV frame ground comes from...

This can produce a shock hazard standing on the earth ground and touching metal parts of the RV...

What might just be a tingle to you could be really bad for children or small animals...

Just saying...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS