cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buy from dealer or private seller

soozcna
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to buy a newer model class A . We have never bought from a private seller, only dealers. Need some opinions on experiences of buying from Private seller. Which is best, dealer or private? Thanks!
35 REPLIES 35

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another consideration/tactic that works well when buying from a dealer...

Find what you are looking for and walk in ready to make the deal on the last day of the month. The larger the dealer the better this works. Explain to the sales manager that you are: A. ready, willing and able to do a deal that day and B. reasonably certain he has already made his nut for the month and that any unit they sell before the close of business will generate cash straight from the corporate office. In most cases they will move heaven and earth to get you closed by the end of the business day.

I have used this technique three times {once buying my lightly used coach from La Mesa RV, once when buying a new Indian motorcycle that was the last 2017 in their 84,000 square foot facility and most recently when I bought my 2019 Honda Ridgeline last July31st}.

In all three transactions the sales manager admitted I was correct and that yes, he was seriously motivated to make a deal that day. When I bought the bike and the Honda I was prepared to pay cash and told them so but with a Fico score of 840 they were very excited about financing me in-house as that probably added another $500 to their bottom line. I returned in 48 hours and paid off both loans incurring 2 days of interest expense to save hundreds.

Salesmen aren't the only ones out there who can be devious.

:W

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I sold one of my Classic Cars and the buyer insisted on paying cash because he didn't feel safe with a wire transfer. Ok with me. When he got here with the cash we went directly to MY bank to make the deposit. They knew me so it was no big deal but they did verify that all cash was legit. No paperwork to fill out since it s the BANK that issues the red flag on cash transactions.
When I bought one RV. I paid cash and was with the buyer when he paid off the loan and I got the title. He had to pay almost $10K more than I gave him to get out from under his coach. I doubt that would have happened at a dealer but this buyer had already purchased another RV and he had no room for two.
Every deal is different but if you feel comfortable with the seller, I feel the best deals are going to be with a private seller.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:
Off topic but pertains to Pvt purchase via Cash. all cash Bank transactions withdrawals or deposits 10,000 or more are reported to the feds by Bank regulation and part of homeland security and of course watching for Drug transactions.
If Purchasing with a dealer unfortunately I disagree with cash being King. Cash is not king anymore unless it's some mom and pop operation. Much like a Car dealer (never say your cash to a car dealer until the deal is done) Dealers can make money off the financing and may take that into consideration on their "deal" dealers can get better rates than you and then equal or better the rates you can get at the same lender while they get the difference. A legit dealer will lower the price counting on that income to make it up , you win with a lower OTD price and the same financing rate you would get on your own. Just some food for thought if your a Dealer purchaser

I need to remember that and for making all my future drug deals in lots of $9999.99....lol
You're right about dealers and financing and for them not wanting to hear that cash word, any longer. Check book in the doorway, as I mentioned is just for showing seriousness in making a downpayment and for no matter how you pay.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Off topic but pertains to Pvt purchase via Cash. all cash Bank transactions withdrawals or deposits 10,000 or more are reported to the feds by Bank regulation and part of homeland security and of course watching for Drug transactions.
If Purchasing with a dealer unfortunately I disagree with cash being King. Cash is not king anymore unless it's some mom and pop operation. Much like a Car dealer (never say your cash to a car dealer until the deal is done) Dealers can make money off the financing and may take that into consideration on their "deal" dealers can get better rates than you and then equal or better the rates you can get at the same lender while they get the difference. A legit dealer will lower the price counting on that income to make it up , you win with a lower OTD price and the same financing rate you would get on your own. Just some food for thought if your a Dealer purchaser
Bill

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Cash talks & BS walks. Be surprised what a deal can be made when you โ€œshow them the cashโ€.

With a dealer, the best deals can be made, standing in the doorway with checkbook and pen in hand, while on your way out the door.
Again, the best way to buy all around, is from a consignment dealer and for going back and forth with the seller.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
swamphouse wrote:
In my experience is with many private party sellers is they want cash only. Wonโ€™t take a check or a cashiers check or even go to bank with you, cash only. So when I recently bought a Motorhome from a private party the seller insisted on Cash. Wouldnโ€™t even follow me to my Bank to receive a Bank Check. So I had to pre-order that much Cash and fill out forms for the bank and government of what I was going to do with that much cash.
In the future if Iโ€™m trying to buy a RV or car for more than $ 10K and the seller wonโ€™t take a cashiers check No deal. Dealers will always take a check, even a personal check is no problem. Iโ€™m not carrying around big bundles of cash anymore for private sellers

A little off topic here, but it shouldn't be anyone's freaking business, with what you intend to do with your own money and these freaking banks are starting to get to me with their always BS. Just the other day, I deposited a nice size check and even though I've been with then forever, they still said, my money was not available for withdrawal for awhile. We're not talking personal check here, but form one of the largest corps in American.
Having said all that, most sellers will take a cashier's check and the last time, I was given a bunch of cash for a sale, I had one hell've time counting it and for doing so about 4 times.

Cash talks & BS walks. Be surprised what a deal can be made when you โ€œshow them the cashโ€.

swamphouse
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience is with many private party sellers is they want cash only. Wonโ€™t take a check or a cashiers check or even go to bank with you, cash only. So when I recently bought a Motorhome from a private party the seller insisted on Cash. Wouldnโ€™t even follow me to my Bank to receive a Bank Check. So I had to pre-order that much Cash and fill out forms for the bank and government of what I was going to do with that much cash.
In the future if Iโ€™m trying to buy a RV or car for more than $ 10K and the seller wonโ€™t take a cashiers check No deal. Dealers will always take a check, even a personal check is no problem. Iโ€™m not carrying around big bundles of cash anymore for private sellers

warrenjo46
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2003 DP from a dealer. That was after a couple of months of shopping on line at dealers and private party. Looked at several private party coaches and found one we liked but decided to take a look at one at a dealer. It had six new tires and six new batteries. We were able to negotiate a reasonable price and the dealer did a few minor repairs after the sale. All in all I am happy with the deal.

The point is look at the deal you get whether at a dealer or a private party.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Mohave County, so weโ€™re right there with you. Taxes are under $500 a year on a 1800 sq ft home on a half acre.
FIL has a very large wind turbine that gives him money back as well.
One bonus for Az vehicle registration fees, is if you are in a certain tax bracket, the vast majority of the VLT, and any large purchase taxes are deductible, and you get most of the money back.
Iโ€™ll take that any day, along with dirt cheap fuel, food, propane, and entertainment. Let us not forget no tax on our SS ๐Ÿ™‚
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
"And FYI, if you live in the County, sales tax is only around %5.4, there is no smog on your vehicle, and insurance and registration are cheaper."

Our home is about 200 yards north of the Pima {Tucson} Pinal county line. With Pinal being the large in area smallish in population county that it is we have no, zip, nada smog testing on any vehicles registered in Pinal county. You do have to sign a statement that you are not commuting for employment or education into Pima county... which is no problem for this old retired guy. :B

Our property taxes are lower than most Arizona counties, utilities are far lower not to mention insurance, be it vehicular or property. The non profit electrical co-op that supplies our electricity even sends us a check once a year equal to the profit they made divided by the number of customers they have, it usually runs around $68. Not many places where you encounter that sort of perk.

:C

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Sorry Doug. You are incorrect. In Arizona, there is no tax when you register a privately bought vehicle, be it a motorcycle, or a million dollar motorhome

Yes, registration is expensive....As Desert Captain mentioned, but no, no sales tax

Well you did not read and understand my post. I STATED there is no sales tax. What I posted is HOW Arizona GETS its money. People like you have no comprehension of how insidious the Gov is. Just because they state no sales tax and they think how much better Arizona is. THEY GET THEIR POUND OF FLESH---ALWAYS. They just call it something else and some people have no clue. It still come out of YOUR pocket. And goes to the Government. Doug

PS, Texas has NO state income tax. BUT, Texans pay a higher property tax, but not as bad as a State Income tax.
And what I listed is straight from your State website

Well Doug, if that was your intention, then my statement had nothing to do with my lack of reading comprehension, but your lack of clarity.

The issue was brought up about sales tax, not registration fees, which you so eloquently copied from the Az MVD website.

EVERY State gets their money one way or another, some more than others.

I will gladly pay the slightly inflated registration fees to have our beautiful roads, low gas prices, open air, beautiful parks, and low property taxes.

And oh, so sorry, but, once again, there is NO tax on ANY private party transaction.

And FYI, if you live in the County, sales tax is only around %5.4, there is no smog on your vehicle, and insurance and registration are cheaper.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
soozcna wrote:
We are looking to buy a newer model class A . We have never bought from a private seller, only dealers. Need some opinions on experiences of buying from Private seller. Which is best, dealer or private? Thanks!

Consignment dealer has been my best experience, with both wanting to get rid of it and at the same time, making the dealer take a certain amount of responsibility for it.
Don't have to deal with the emotions of the seller either.
Next best, is for private seller.
Dealer, only when he has what you want in the right condition at the right price, but to be avoided if can be.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Sorry Doug. You are incorrect. In Arizona, there is no tax when you register a privately bought vehicle, be it a motorcycle, or a million dollar motorhome

Yes, registration is expensive....As Desert Captain mentioned, but no, no sales tax

Well you did not read and understand my post. I STATED there is no sales tax. What I posted is HOW Arizona GETS its money. People like you have no comprehension of how insidious the Gov is. Just because they state no sales tax and they think how much better Arizona is. THEY GET THEIR POUND OF FLESH---ALWAYS. They just call it something else and some people have no clue. It still come out of YOUR pocket. And goes to the Government. Doug

PS, Texas has NO state income tax. BUT, Texans pay a higher property tax, but not as bad as a State Income tax.
And what I listed is straight from your State website

Do you pay sales tax buying car private seller in Arizona?

Yes, you will pay tax on the purchase of the used car.

However, you do not pay tax to the private owner at the time of the sale. You pay tax to the DMV when you transfer the title and register the vehicle. "

Registration fees and sales tax are two totally different fees. When I bought my neighbors 1995 LTD for $2,500 sales tax {if purchased from a dealer vs a private party} would have been $200. I registered it for $26. When I bought my 2017 Rzr for $8,400 the tax would have been $672 but I registered it for less than $100.

Registration fees in Arizona, like many states, are based upon the value of the vehicle sold along with other factors like the vehicle classification. Every state has differing tax laws... Some have no state income or sales tax but get you with higher property taxes, some don't tax retirement income but one way or the other some states have definite advantages, especially for us folks of the retired persuasion.

:C