cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

C as primary vehicle

AbdRahim
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use a Class C as a primary vehicle? I know it sounds crazy at 8 mpg, but I was curious. would prefer a C to my truck and trailer but it is difficult to afford insurance, maintainence, fuel, and payments on 2 trucks.
12 REPLIES 12

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
AbdRahim wrote:
Anyone use a Class C as a primary vehicle? I know it sounds crazy at 8 mpg, but I was curious. would prefer a C to my truck and trailer but it is difficult to afford insurance, maintainence, fuel, and payments on 2 trucks.

My dad used to commute in a small C back in the 70s. Not too far and it was only about 19 feet long. at 10 mpg or so the fuel economy wasn't much worse than many cars. We only had two cars. A Pinto wagon and the RV.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends on the logistics of the commute..distance, parking, climate, urban density etc. Under some conditions it could work.

L0KI
Explorer
Explorer
25 ft 1979 dodge class c triple e
She old shes loud and she is my daily driver. Drive from campsite to my shop were i get picked up for work. Shoppings easy just have to go during none rush hr times. Costco and wallyfarts are good for parking most times.
The gas how ever can be a pain. But meh its only 69cent a liter.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I used a 22' Class C as a daily driver, for close to 10 years.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 25 ft winniw and it is our vehicle for five months as a snow bird. That has been the last five years. You can compare tit to a crew cap full box pickup. Streets are hardly a problem. Parking cN be a problem until you learn to be proactive.
If you need to go to town every few days, that can be a hassle.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've gathered by reading and watching people, here is sort of what I've found out:

Roadtrek 170 -- Easy use for a daily driver... all but parking garages.

RT 190 -- similar.

144" Sprinter van -- doable.

Longer Sprinter vans -- doable, but will take up more than one spot, so stick the back end over a curb if possible.

A very short "C" like a Phoenix Cruiser 2100? Doable in length, width can be an issue.

A short "C" like a 23-25 foot model? No clue. Some people say it is very difficult for day to day chores, others manage to do it.

Longer models -- can be quite difficult, especially in urban areas with no free parking, even in the back 40 of lots.

It really depends on where you are. For example, downtown Austin, a longer van can be too much. However, smaller places that always have room at strip malls even on a busy Saturday afternoon, a 30-footer that takes two parking spaces at the far end might be doable.

If I had my ideal setup, I'd go with a 24-25 foot "C" which by itself is good enough to park almost anywhere and can tow 7500-10,000 pounds (some "C" models I've seen can handle this.) From there, an enclosed cargo trailer and a Jeep Wrangler. Depending on where I am going, I can just take the MH, stuff the Jeep in the trailer and take both, or take one or the other, depending on the occasion.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I full time in my class C. I do have a car, but it stays behind at a friends home when ever I leave the city.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
THIS was my wife's vehicle to the store and hauling our children around for 6 years.

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
We fulltime without a towed car so our motorhome is our only vehicle. It works fine for us but we have a pretty small motorhome.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

rtriple777
Explorer
Explorer
During the winter we will be only using our class c,we dont want to tow our car to Florida from New York
Rick and Dawn-2011 jayco eagle 351rlts

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We did once for a few weeks out of necessity. When we bought our Motorhome we were out of town visiting family. My in-laws agreed to drive our minivan home when they came to visit a few weeks later so we could all drive home together in the Motorhome.

Our Xterra broke down the day after we got home with the Motorhome. It was too darn hot to fix the Xterra so we just drove the Motorhome for a few weeks. It worked out well, but I wouldn't want to do it long term. Ours is a 32' Class C. If it were a small C it might not have been as big a hassle.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
There are many who use their Class Cs when full-timing. Some of those, do not tow a daily driver, instead using their C as necessary.