cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California License Req for Class A Motorhomes

We_retheRussos
Explorer
Explorer
This topic has probably been beaten to death but after everything I have read, I am fairly certain I am COMPLETELY confused.

So my wife and I want the largest MH we can get without having to get the non-commercial Class B license in California. According to the DMV site https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/cdl_htm/lic_chart
With our basic Class C license, we can drive ANY "house car" that is 40' or less.

So here is where the confusion/questions come in:
- If our MH is above 26,000 GVWR but less than 40', are we still ok with a Class C since the law states "ANY" housecar 40' or less?
- If other states require any type of CDL for a large MH, are we ok with our Class C if we're legal in CA (reciprocity) ?
- Can I assume that the MH's we are looking at that are marketed as "40 feet" but are actually 41.7 ft, for example, fall outside the Class C license and require us to get the Class B?

Thanks for the help. This will be our first MH and we will be full timing in it. We considered a 42" with a tag but my wife refuses to go through the licensing requirements (written and driving tests) in order to get the Class B...so I am thinking we'll need to find a nice 36-38 footer.
Planning on retiring and full-timing - check out our progress: http://www.weretherussos.com/
19 REPLIES 19

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
I wouldn't sweat it, most single rear axles are 40 ft. give or take a few inches. Tag axles come in when your at 42ft and over. So if you have a tag axle DP you are more then likely to be over 40 ft. and that is what the CHP would be looking for. Just my opinion take it for what it's worth.

Bad info! Have a friend with a 38' Country Coach, with a tag axle. Also a lot of 40' with tags.

When I registered my motorhome, DMV looked at the mfg. tag and put down 40'. I know it is a little longer than 40'. End of my story.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't sweat it, most single rear axles are 40 ft. give or take a few inches. Tag axles come in when your at 42ft and over. So if you have a tag axle DP you are more then likely to be over 40 ft. and that is what the CHP would be looking for. Just my opinion take it for what it's worth.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
vegasfoodguy wrote:
supercub wrote:
When I bought my 40E which is actually 40' 9", I stopped by the local CA Highway Patrol and asked them. There were two officers at the front desk, they both said, NO, didn't need a different license. A friend of mine, a few months later, told me, that I did. So I stopped by the Highway Patrol office again. Two different officers this time told me NO, didn't need anything. I questioned them a 3rd officer had come into the room, and they asked him, the answer still was No. Just as I was leaving one said, let me check with the commercial division at Chowchilla. Well, as it turn out, yes I did need a Non commercial Class C. When I went to take the written............it literally took them over an hour, which included several phone calls to Sacramento to figure out which test to give me. They said they had never given that test before. When I took the driving portion, the examiner told me he had never given a Non commercial Class B in his 25 plus years. So yes, there's confusion regarding this.......not only on here, but with the DMV and CHP. It's my understanding that about the only working group that typically need a non commerical class B are firemen. It is clearly written in the California vehicle code..........and YES, you need one if you're OVER 40'
Brian

Just because it's not mandatory, Doesn't mean you shouldn't get it. There is some very good information on the test. I have a Nevada Non commercial class "B", It's amazing how much you learn.

Terry.

The test in California includes a driving test. That means you have to have a vehicle that requires the license in order to take that test. I haven't tried it, but the examiner could probably turn you away if you showed up in a motorhome that was not of a size that required the license. Of course that assumes they have a tape measure and go check it or just take your word for it.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Okay guys, the question is not about whether you need the special license for a motorhome over 40' or not. The answer to that basic question is obvious that you do in California. The question is how do you measure the vehicle?

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

vegasfoodguy
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
When I bought my 40E which is actually 40' 9", I stopped by the local CA Highway Patrol and asked them. There were two officers at the front desk, they both said, NO, didn't need a different license. A friend of mine, a few months later, told me, that I did. So I stopped by the Highway Patrol office again. Two different officers this time told me NO, didn't need anything. I questioned them a 3rd officer had come into the room, and they asked him, the answer still was No. Just as I was leaving one said, let me check with the commercial division at Chowchilla. Well, as it turn out, yes I did need a Non commercial Class C. When I went to take the written............it literally took them over an hour, which included several phone calls to Sacramento to figure out which test to give me. They said they had never given that test before. When I took the driving portion, the examiner told me he had never given a Non commercial Class B in his 25 plus years. So yes, there's confusion regarding this.......not only on here, but with the DMV and CHP. It's my understanding that about the only working group that typically need a non commerical class B are firemen. It is clearly written in the California vehicle code..........and YES, you need one if you're OVER 40'
Brian

Just because it's not mandatory, Doesn't mean you shouldn't get it. There is some very good information on the test. I have a Nevada Non commercial class "B", It's amazing how much you learn.

Terry.
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Bob&AnnaMarie wrote:
We'retheRussos wrote:
This topic has probably been beaten to death but after everything I have read, I am fairly certain I am COMPLETELY confused.

Over the years I have learned that questions like this on forums like this get tons of opinions and few facts. You seriously need to go directly to the CA DVM and get their opinion on the rule. Unfortunately, you cannot get them to sign some paper to document their information. But, that is the only source that I would trust.

That's my opinion.
Bob

I would never trust DMV with a question like this. CHP would be the authority on it, however, the California vehicle code is online and it's pretty clear on this issue.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my 40E which is actually 40' 9", I stopped by the local CA Highway Patrol and asked them. There were two officers at the front desk, they both said, NO, didn't need a different license. A friend of mine, a few months later, told me, that I did. So I stopped by the Highway Patrol office again. Two different officers this time told me NO, didn't need anything. I questioned them a 3rd officer had come into the room, and they asked him, the answer still was No. Just as I was leaving one said, let me check with the commercial division at Chowchilla. Well, as it turn out, yes I did need a Non commercial Class B. When I went to take the written............it literally took them over an hour, which included several phone calls to Sacramento to figure out which test to give me. They said they had never given that test before. When I took the driving portion, the examiner told me he had never given a Non commercial Class B in his 25 plus years. So yes, there's confusion regarding this.......not only on here, but with the DMV and CHP. It's my understanding that about the only working group that typically need a non commerical class B are firemen. It is clearly written in the California vehicle code..........and YES, you need one if you're OVER 40'
Brian

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
There is something not being spoken about in this tread, and that is insurance. Some Companies will not insure a rig over 40', check with yours first and verify it. Also no one will measure the rig, there are enough brochures and specs online that will tell them it is over 40'.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
You "Probably" will never have a problem. It is difficult for a cop to drive past a motorhome and have "Probable Cause" to pull it over and measure it's length.

However if you are ever in a serious accident, the attorneys can have probable cause or just measure your RV anyway, and if you do not have the correct drivers license, it will not help your case, even if you should not be held responsible. If for no other reason, stay below 40' overall length to avoid a complication in the event of a lawsuit.

The "Cops" can not measure your RV length unless they have a valid reason to detain you while it is being done. However accident investigators will take measurements and weights of vehicles as part of their investigation. The results might not be in your favor if you are overloaded, and over length.

California also has a license requirement for residents that if towing something over 15,000 GVWR, you have to have an endorsement. Probably a great idea to have the towing public read a booklet and learn something about the huge vehicles they are towing.

Also several vehicles have air brakes, even in the 36' to 39' range. You would want to educate yourself about air brakes if you have them. Maintenance, drain the air tank procedures, change the air compressor oil intervals, ect. Just one more thing to learn about.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
The easy guide to what you need is on this page CA DMV Commercial/Non-Commercial Info Page, scroll down until you come to the "How to apply for a noncommercial driver license" Section. It will tell what is required and what is needed. A heads up on the Medical. In California there are now 2 different medicals you can take, one that is good only in California, and one that is good in all 50 states. Make sure you ask when you make your appointment, you want the one good for all 50 states.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

Bob_AnnaMarie
Explorer
Explorer
We'retheRussos wrote:

Over the years I have learned that questions like this on forums like this get tons of opinions and few facts. You seriously need to go directly to the CA DVM and get their opinion on the rule. Unfortunately, you cannot get them to sign some paper to document their information. But, that is the only source that I would trust.

That's my opinion.
Bob
03 Beaver Patriot
14 Honda CRV

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I had a motor home that was a model 40E........meaning 40 feet. However that actually length via the specs was 40' 9" per the CA law, I was required to obtain a Non commercial class B license.
Brian

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
My two cents....you mention going full time...whether you get a 40' or larger, get a tag axle. Better ride, better performance and better stability. Also, if you go larger than 40', make sure the tag can be lifted.

Also, if you're really going full time, you might want to consider changing your state of residency. We were in California when I decided to retire, which I put six months out. We began transferring our residency to South Dakota. By the time I retired AND purchased our current coach, we were residents of SD even though we still owned our California residence. South Dakota has no licensing requirements like California, no income tax and only a 3% sales tax. EVERY State will recognize and accept your DL from your residency state. Something to consider.....

Finally, from someone who went from a 40' to a 45' for full timing, the extra 5', CCC, towing capacity, generator size etc. was worth the extra price. YMMV....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Also just to note, the description I gave you applies to vehicle length as it applies to drivers license requirements. When you measure for vehicle length as it applies to being on roads that are restricted to vehicles that are 40 foot max, (I'm going from memory here and haven't looked it up recently) then mirrors and ladders still don't count, but things like a bike rack or any type of cargo hanging off the vehicle does count. So you could potentially be legal to drive without the special license, but not legal to drive on roads like Highway 1 that have a 40 foot max vehicle length restriction.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4