cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carbon Monoxide Detector

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
The carbon monoxide detector on my newly purchased motor home expired in 2009. I want to replace it.

Is there a difference between a regular carbon monoxide detector and one used in an RV?

The one in the motor home now is a Costar Model 9RV. It states:

"Single Station Carbon Monoxide Alarm. Also suitable for use in Recreational Vehicles"

It is the round shape that looks the same as the smoke alarm rather than one installed lower in the motor home. It was installed in the ceiling.

Could I just buy a round carbon monoxide detector from Home Depot and install it?
18 REPLIES 18

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
So much mis information. People should really check what the pros suggest is the best placement for carbon monoxide detectors

While selling a second home we had in CA, I didn't know were to put it so as I am want to do, I checked the County Building Code and the NBC. Neither called out a specific height.

The mounting instruction only stated "Not To Be Mounted On The Ceiling".

I called my CREIA mentor and asked him, he suggested above a door frame as they are least obtrusive there.

So much for the experts.

In as much as most building codes are based on the requirements of Insurance Underwriters and I could not find anything in their recommendations, I followed my mentors suggestion.

By the way, the one in my rig is nearly at floor level.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Kidde combo smoke and carbon monoxide detector from Home Depot as recommended by some of you in response to my inquiry. Will install it tonight

It is a 10 year, no change of battery, type which was also recommended by members on this forum.

Thank you. Problem solved, I hope.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
The floor level detector is for propane, which is heavier than air. A combo smoke/CO detector is a good way to go.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I believe you have provided enough information to let me make a decision.

It was originally installed on the ceiling so I assume it is the place for it. There is also a detector at floor level. I believe I also have a smoke detector - but will have to check.

Thanks again.

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
All of the ones I have used, say to replace after ten years as the sensor has a estimated life span.

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
I work for a alarm and fire service company. ITI, Ademco, and others say mount it at the average head height of the person occupying the building. The GE Intelogic tech say CO2 is just about the same as normal air. Read the cut sheet that comes with the unit as I have gotten contradicting information from my tech people that supply me the products.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Feel free to check my statements, but CO is slightly lighter than air and will freely mix with air, so it isn't a huge deal to mount the CO sensor high or low.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
The Kidde P3010B and P3010K are the ones I put in my rig.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is needed is a dual chamber detector that will detect CO and smoke from a slow smoldering fire such as may start in a R/V because of electrical fires and fast burning smokeless fires.

After a lot of research and talking to Kidde, they assured me that this one would work in a home and also A RV,there is no difference.

This is what I found.
A Kidde KN-COSM-XTR-BA Nighthawk
That seemed to be best suited for this kind of application.

Like This

They now can be bought at Home Depot, also At Amazon.

Home Depot

Amazon

I suggest you read all the info and make your decision on this but I replaced the ones in my Class C with this one.They are rated for 10 years
and most are only rated for 5,If your RV is older than 5 years old and they haven't been changed they are most likely no good. Mine needed to be replaced so this was a good deal for me, I had a hard wired one and I chucked it for the battery powered ones, they can be checked before each trip by pushing the test button in the center of the unit.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, donn0128 and pauldub......best answers!

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Don't believe any of us, read the installation instructions that come with the CO detector.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
So much mis information. People should really check what the pros suggest is the best placement for carbon monoxide detectors

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
rwgeiser wrote:
Carbon monoxide is lighter than air, propane is heavier than air. Carbon monoxide rises, propane settles.

In other words, don't install the CO detector near the floor.

rwgeiser
Explorer
Explorer
Carbon monoxide is lighter than air, propane is heavier than air. Carbon monoxide rises, propane settles.
Ron & Del
2003 Fleetwood, Storm 30H
P32 Chassis
Part-Timer, Retired