cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carefree Eclipse Awning will not operate

djlind
Explorer
Explorer
Motor replaced last fall. It has worked properly all season. While prepping for a departure in a couple days I see that neither the inside nor outside switch will activate the motor. I confirmed the power switch is on, and it shows the red light. I checked the fuse in the front electrical panel. It is a CB type (I'm not an electrical guy, I assume that means circuit breaker). My meter shows continuity across the pins of the fuse and 12.6 volts across the fuse socket. Is there another lockout, or another fuse somewhere I need to check?

Thanks!
Doug & Sandy with Uli and Max (German Shorthaired Pointers)
'08 Holiday Rambler Vacationer XL
340HP Cummins w/Allison 2100 Trans
'07 Dodge Dakota as toad
6 REPLIES 6

djlind
Explorer
Explorer
Some digging showed that there is no control box for this unit. There is just a relay behind the switch panel. I climbed up on top and tested the two exposed terminals. I measured +- 12V when the extend/retract switch is pressed, so there is power to the motor housing. At this point I figure it is either a failed motor or a wire came off at the motor. Sadly, I can't get the plastic motor housing off without breaking something because it is tight against the coach wall and is hiding the screws. Blah...
'07 Dodge Dakota as toad

br549
Explorer
Explorer
djlind wrote:
Tearing apart the motor cover is doable, but taping the control box seems like a simple first test. Where is that control box normally hidden, and what does it look like?

Thanks,

Not sure on your unit. On our Phaeton, it is behind a panel of switchesin the cabinet over the drivers wheel.
Gerry & Louise
2007 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

djlind
Explorer
Explorer
Tearing apart the motor cover is doable, but taping the control box seems like a simple first test. Where is that control box normally hidden, and what does it look like?

Thanks,
'07 Dodge Dakota as toad

br549
Explorer
Explorer
I had intermittant operation of our awning. After checking the connections, etc I tapped the control box with the handle of a screwdriver and it operated. Seemed to be a problematic relay. You might try that, good luck.
Gerry & Louise
2007 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

mytime
Explorer
Explorer
djlind wrote:
Motor replaced last fall. It has worked properly all season. While prepping for a departure in a couple days I see that neither the inside nor outside switch will activate the motor. I confirmed the power switch is on, and it shows the red light. I checked the fuse in the front electrical panel. It is a CB type (I'm not an electrical guy, I assume that means circuit breaker). My meter shows continuity across the pins of the fuse and 12.6 volts across the fuse socket. Is there another lockout, or another fuse somewhere I need to check?
Thanks!
On top of the Motor there is a couple of pins that you can connect a jumper wire or possibly check for power, you can jumper to any 12v source and see if the motor is working. I have a fuse in the cabinet inside for mine., but checking directly at the motor is the best way. Marvin
2007 Country Coach, Allure 470, 42',ISL Cummins 400, TV- 2011 Chevy Silverado, Blackhawk and Brakemaster.

Vacationer_XL
Explorer
Explorer
Usually when my awning stops working it means the chassis batteries are dead. Funny I have the same unit as yours.
2008 Vactioner XL 340 Cummins