cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrier Air V A/C replacement

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
What are my option for replacing our 13 year old Carrier Air V air conditioner?

I know Carrier no longer makes RV air conditioners.

The unit is tied into controlling the furnace.
The remote control controls the furnace operation as well as the air conditioner.

Thus we do not currently have a wall mounted thermostat for the furnace.
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513
12 REPLIES 12

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
golfknut wrote:
So fishing the wiring through the ceiling and down the wall to the new thermostat location was not a big deal for them?
And not an expensive project?

Well - - it may have been somewhat of a "big deal". Camping World charged me 1.65 hours of labor ($212.85) to install and wire the thermostat (which itself cost $58.99).
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a wall-mounted thermostat controlling furnace only, and I believe it has only two-wire control cable. I'm considering controlling the temperature of our non-ducted Coleman Mach (two knobs on the ceiling assembly) with a relay, and I'd need to run more wire and in the opposite direction than what's there. I believe I would run it surface mounted. This is one example of a conduit/molding to let you do that.

I might be able to get wire into the wall and up toward the ceiling, but the ceiling itself is "structural foam" so there's no void to run wire in. I might find a passage with OEM 120-VAC power to the A/C, but I'd guess at least the wall-to-A/C unit thermostat wiring would have to be across the ceiling surface.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
So fishing the wiring through the ceiling and down the wall to the new thermostat location was not a big deal for them?
And not an expensive project?

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
golfknut wrote:
sch911 & DouglasC,
Did you have an existing wall thermostat before the AC unit was replaced?

No. The Carrier had a remote battery operated control unit. Had to buy the new wall mounted thermostat for the new Dometic A/C. Camping World installed them both.
Doug

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 & DouglasC,
Did you have an existing wall thermostat before the AC unit was replaced?

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
This fall I replaced my Carrier Air V with a Dometic unit. Camping World did the job (at the time most A/Cs were on sale). As indicated in the previous post, the Dometic has a wall thermostat which also controls the furnace.
Doug

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
One of ours was switched out for a Dometic unit. The Dometic wall electronic thermostat also controls the furnace and heat pump.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
I did see that conversion kit mentioned in a post from many years ago but it uses the control box from the carrier unit. And I'm reluctant to use an electrical part from a 13 year old unit.

It would be an easy fix though.
I guess for the cost it could be used until the control box gave out.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a look at THIS
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
If you were closer, I could make you a deal. I have a 15k Carrier 5 sitting in storage. Not interested in shipping. Sorry
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

Do you still have your Carrier Mark V ? Where do you live ?

You're responding to a post that 7 years old and Byron hasn't been on here in years. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS