cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash price on fuel

somuch2see
Explorer
Explorer
I do not like to be misled by their big signs on the interstate advertising their prices, pull off, and the see a 5-6 cent increase on the pump. I can't read that little sign that says cash until I'm stopped and right beside the sign. I know that using a CC costs them a few cents but come on, does anyone really carry that much cash when they are traveling?
A happy man is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least.
32 REPLIES 32

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
When I lived in NJ, it was discount for cash, not extra charge for credit, that's how they get away with it..as a discount for cash, not a surcharge for credit....the semantics is a killer....I use Flying J for one reason, in and out, and a place to park and walk my dogs...no it's not the bone cheapest like it used to be, but I learned the hard way that getting in/out without detaching and such is worth it to us.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
This infuriates me when they charge for plastic. When we had our business the VISA rules stated we could not charge for the use of a card (pay the business use fees). That was back in 2014. Maybe things have changed, apparently so. I will not stop at a station that does that. Have you noticed it is mostly the middle east station owners that do this 😞 I have many times pulled to a pump, saw that they charge for plastic, got back in and drove down the street. If I am dangerously low I may put 5 bucks in but that is it.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
Stopped at a Gas Station that said on it's sign, cash and credit same price. Pulled in and started to pump when I noticed the price was higher. I asked the attendant and he said I was using a Credit Card. I said your sign says same price cash or credit, he said that's with our Brand Credit Card. So i pumped $2.00 and went to another Station.

Ken
95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know the feeling. However, the way I started thinking of this (even though it still eats at me) is my tires alone on my bounder are $300 each, and on my Toyota $150 each. My bounder gets terrible mpg (8-10), my Toyota much better but still. It's all luxurious. And although I always hate paying way more, even at a $.05 difference on 100 gallons is $5. On top of all the other expenses of RV'ing, as a gas mogul I think I just started trying to ignore it.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I never use cash for fuel. I never get a receipt. I rarely go to an FJ or any other branded truck stop unless it's out in the boonies. A few cents per gallon doesn't mean squat to me. I will pay for convenience and no crowds.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
I have used a Walmart Credit card for several years, because of the .05 discount. Now that they have discontinued that, I just look for the best price, and whether I can get in & out easily. I used a BP card before Walmart, for the same reason, and closed that card for the same reason. Just remember that if you carry over the balance, the interest will eat up a lot more than your discount.

Did you know that if you go into Walmart and get a Walmart gift card and load it with money you will get a DISCOUNT at the pumps using it?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP's question, YES, I do carry cash for the station that gives me the big discount. I will not have a Flying J card just to get a small discount on fuel that's 15-20 cents more a gallon than I can get down the road. I can replenish my cash at any ATM without cost (my bank pays the charges, ANYWHERE). Gas Buddy is your friend and Google Earth shows if you can get in and out easily. When I'm on an 11,500 mile trip a "few" cents a gallon means a very nice dinner out at a VERY nice restaurant and more.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thomas/NH wrote:
I never pay cash of gas... A few years ago my brother rented a RV out of Phoenix. He stopped for gas, paid the attendant with $100 bill and proceed on his way. A few miles down the road he was pulled over by the police and arrested for theft of service.

Apparently, the attendant pocketed the money and called the cops. My brother couldn't produce a receipt for the gas and it was his word (an out of towner) against a local. He had to post a $500 bond to get out jail and proceed on with the vacation. It was a tough break, but what else can you do in situation like that? He's from Vermont and where there's a lot of trust in your fellow man.

Perfect example of why you always get a receipt. Same thing when using a card.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use the Flying J Plus Card so we don't have any of those problems. We also use the truck lanes for easy and quick in and out. The Plus card offers 8 cents/gallon discount off the CASH price posted and it is a credit card. It also has the 'pay at the pump' feature. Pull in, swipe your card, enter your passcode, fill up and off you go..no surprises.....Dennis

RV Plus Card
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a Walmart Credit card for several years, because of the .05 discount. Now that they have discontinued that, I just look for the best price, and whether I can get in & out easily. I used a BP card before Walmart, for the same reason, and closed that card for the same reason. Just remember that if you carry over the balance, the interest will eat up a lot more than your discount.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the gas stations around here that charge different prices based on payment method consider debt cards same as cash.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
I know the station near us gives the cash price when using a debit card. I don't know if this is common.

5 or 6 cents per gallon is probably the percentage the credit card company charges, 2 - 3 percent.

But, convenience while traveling is far more important to me than even 10 cents a gallon difference. Which even if you fill up 100 gallons is only $10 on a $200 purchase. Much better than when diesel was around $4 a gallon.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
I never pay cash of gas... A few years ago my brother rented a RV out of Phoenix. He stopped for gas, paid the attendant with $100 bill and proceed on his way. A few miles down the road he was pulled over by the police and arrested for theft of service.

Apparently, the attendant pocketed the money and called the cops. My brother couldn't produce a receipt for the gas and it was his word (an out of towner) against a local. He had to post a $500 bond to get out jail and proceed on with the vacation. It was a tough break, but what else can you do in situation like that? He's from Vermont and where there's a lot of trust in your fellow man.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
USE GAS BUDDY APP or just realize the big sign is a cash price and add 5-6 cents to price
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the car, yes, I carry cash. For the RV I pay a premium compared to most other fuel stations and visit Pilot and Flying J. Yes, they are usually the highest fuel prices around but the Pilot Flying J card gives a small discount plus I get the cash price even when using a CC. On the rare occasion that I visit a regular gas station for the savings I just pay the non-discounted CC price. Fuel=life and it is the least of my concerns when it comes to the cost of RV ownership.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?