cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cb and antennas

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
what radio and antenna combos do folks use if any? Have a class B+ winnebago so need to get a recommendation for an antenna for it. Radio will be a no brainer cobra or something from the local truck cb shop. Just like to know what others are using. No cell phones wont work for us would like to monitor the roadways for 1, easier to just pick up mic and talk for 2.

Thanks Hank
17 REPLIES 17

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Md_06Unltd wrote:
I have a Cobra 75WXST in my Jeep and just purchased another one to put in my (new to me) Class C, Its a great little unit with all the controls in the microphone Cobra 75WXST - Amazon.

I plan on adding a 4ft Firestick to the side of the coach right behind the drivers door.

One caveat, though. You need to purchase a 12v amplified speaker to hear it really well, the microphone speaker is kinda small.

I have the same radio. It's also the one in eric1514's installation pics.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
Kit Carson wrote:
eric1514, that is a nice looking install. I did not know the doghouse just popped off like that. That is interesting. Thanks for posting the pics.

There's a little clip at the bottom center near the carpet that you push and that allows the front piece to slide up and then off. There are several iterations of the front piece that all fit the same way. The one I have is not the original. I found it on eBay. I like it 'cuz it has lots of cup holders.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
eric1514, that is a nice looking install. I did not know the doghouse just popped off like that. That is interesting. Thanks for posting the pics.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
My install:

Control unit behind doghouse.

Handset.

NGP Antenna Mount

Pretty much the most useless mod I've done.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Md_06Unltd
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Cobra 75WXST in my Jeep and just purchased another one to put in my (new to me) Class C, Its a great little unit with all the controls in the microphone Cobra 75WXST - Amazon.

I plan on adding a 4ft Firestick to the side of the coach right behind the drivers door.

One caveat, though. You need to purchase a 12v amplified speaker to hear it really well, the microphone speaker is kinda small.
2010 K-Z 16C Hybrid
2007 Four Winds Majestic 23A
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2006 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
2008 Jeep Commander
1966 M416

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Back during the "Breaker, breaker" days, 4 of us guys were headed for a golf vacation in Wisconsin in two cars. We both had CBs and were talking the usual stuff. Going through Chicago at night, I called the guys several cars in front of us to warn them that there was a "Smokey" behind them. When the Smokey turned off the road, I told my buddies, ending with "good night, Mr. Smokey". That was followed by "Good night, Mr. blue and white Ford." Who knew Smokeys had their ears on? ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
Good ideas on CB radios . We plan to put one on our Jayco class C next spring just for road safety. Have many safe travels, denny and my wee blonde Ida

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
DaHose wrote:
I bought a dual band HAM and will get my license very soon.

That lets me reach out really far with repeaters and in a life/death situation any frequency is fair game from CB to private band, FRS and GMRS gear. Cover all your bases = good.

Jose

After you get that license you'll know that a ham rig can receive FRS and GMRS but not transmit on those frequencies.

CB is off band, and AM. So you can't do anything there.

I am a big fan of using my ham rig to monitor FRS when others in the group are using it - sometimes you can hear them when others cannot due to the better receiving antenna.

You'll still need a separate CB no matter what.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
As posted by another, I used a NGP antenna on my motorhome and mounted it to the ladder in back and ran the coax along the frame rails. Seldom use the CB but often use my handi-talky on 2 meters. Unless traveling with someone I will monitor the simplex freq. Happy travels to you.....KE5VLE
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Used mine last two trips,was able to find out about accidents ahead. Always have it for traffic tie ups,or for severe weather warnigs on it.

NC-Hawk
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small 'Hustler' magnetic mount antenna stuck to my hood. Receives/transmits great forward & aft.

I use it for when I'm bored, or for when I need to know what lane I should be in during a traffic backup. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
We sometimes have 2 or 3 friends going down the road in separate rigs camping, then
they really pay off. Other than that, we seldom use it.

Brian

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
jdog, I know and its a shame. I have seen many rv's with open cabinets and other things dragging and people cant be told. There was a fire some years ago because a guy was dragging a towed vehicle that had had a blowout and as a result the wheel was sparking and caused a fire in a national forrest (which he was fined for starting!). Anyhow when asked why he didn't respond to other drivers he said "he thought they were mad because he was so slow and not letting them pass!" Yes these are antiques but still very useful, and sometime quite entertaining to listen to.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a dual band HAM and will get my license very soon.

That lets me reach out really far with repeaters and in a life/death situation any frequency is fair game from CB to private band, FRS and GMRS gear. Cover all your bases = good.

Jose