cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

changed out Norcold to Amish cooling unit

SeaDog_BRR
Explorer
Explorer
My Norcold 6182 quit cooling the fridge box and I found yellow powder by the burner so it was time for a change. I ordered a Norcold replacement form Arcticold and after 17 days with no response to my emails and no cooling unit, I cancelled the order and went with RV Cooling warehouse and David Force. I purchased an Amish new mfg unit which was shipped the day after ordering.

After removing all the screws I still couldn't get the unit out of the cabinet and found that the rails it was mounted on were about 1/16" below the cabinet face frame I lifted the front of the fridge with a bar and the unit slid out. I did this by myself but would recommend using help I did have someone help me re-install the unit. Swap out was straight forward and the instructions provided by David Force were easy to understand and follow. I did have to reposition the gas valve about 1/4" to the side so that the unit didn't touch it.

I did a fourteen hour test run with the unit outside the cabinet and the fridge controls bypassed and got -18F at the freezer bolts and 22.8 on the plastic sides of the cold food compartment. Overall I think it was a good test. I have test to load it with food and dest boon docking.

Total cost with shipping 700.00 and has a 5 year warranty. The one from Arcticold (Norcold) was 580.00 free shipping and lifetime warranty but if you can't get the unit free shipping and lifetime warranty are not worth much.
Greg aka SeaDog Ret Navy
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS TT
96 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ W/SO (selling)
06 F350 6.0, Harley Ultra Classic ๐Ÿ™‚ 64 corvette ๐Ÿ™‚
10 REPLIES 10

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Had the Norcold 1200-LRIM cooling unit in our 2000 coach replaced with the Amish built unit in 2012 and are really pleased wirh it. Cost $1,410 intalled. They're a great unit....
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I would say an hour is optimistic. With 2 guys that have done hundreds before, maybe. Doing it yourself I'd set aside the better part of a day until you're done screwing around with it and cleaning up. At least that was my experience. I'm very happy with it, though. I got lucky and found a refurb'd cooling unit from Nordic on Ebay for $240 shipped. I also installed some circulating fans in the fridge - they made a big difference.

EDIT - like everything else, since I've done it before I could do it again in half the time....
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ToadHaul wrote:
Speaking of refrigerators...I know that RV fridges need to have space for air circulation. How about the freezer compartment? I'm thinking that I can stuff the freezer since there are no fins up there that would need air circulation. Am I right? I really want to take as much frozen meat with me as I like to buy locally raised products...I know that they are humanely raised and slaughtered. Thanks!
๐Ÿ˜‰

The freezer does not need the air space. BUT, on current RV freezers, the back wall is where the coils are. So, if you buy Ice Cream in square rectangular boxes and place the Box against the rear wall, the ice cream will get harder. Doug

ToadHaul
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of refrigerators...I know that RV fridges need to have space for air circulation. How about the freezer compartment? I'm thinking that I can stuff the freezer since there are no fins up there that would need air circulation. Am I right? I really want to take as much frozen meat with me as I like to buy locally raised products...I know that they are humanely raised and slaughtered. Thanks!
๐Ÿ˜‰

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
If I ever have problems, this is the way I'm going. http://www.rvrefrigerator.net/ Have already talked to him and read reviews. I've already installed the ARP control unit, which I highly recommend, alo9ng with a fire extinguisher..........which I bought from Mac the Fire Guy........lots of info on his website.
Brian

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
2chiefsRus wrote:
We had our installed in Shipshewana where they make them. JR did a great job. If I recall correctly, it only took about an hour but JR wanted us to stay a couple more hours just so he could verify it was working correctly. Ours was replaced under our extended warranty. Don't recall the cost for installation.

For one or two hours of shop time, I'll have them do it. I can spend that long just trying to understand the instructions. (Yeah, I know, real men don't read the instructions!)

Bill

Be sure to double check because my memory isn't what it could be.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
2chiefsRus wrote:
We had our installed in Shipshewana where they make them. JR did a great job. If I recall correctly, it only took about an hour but JR wanted us to stay a couple more hours just so he could verify it was working correctly. Ours was replaced under our extended warranty. Don't recall the cost for installation.

For one or two hours of shop time, I'll have them do it. I can spend that long just trying to understand the instructions. (Yeah, I know, real men don't read the instructions!)

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
SeaDog

Did you do this while on the road, or at home where you had all of your tools? I ask this because for us, home is in Alaska and the MH stays in the States. Ours is still working but I think it should be colder and was built in 2005 so I'm getting a little more nervous about it all of the time.

The Amish units are built someplace back around Indiana I believe. We'll be over that way in a year or two so I was thinking of changing it out when we don't have to pay shipping. The question is whether I do it myself with the limited tools I carry in the MH or have someone else do it? If a shop with experience installing Amish units did it, how many hours of shop time would you think it will take?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
from post on here you made a great choice.