cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chassis Battery Maintenance - 2007 HR Vacationer XL

X12AEsq
Explorer
Explorer
This is a new to us coach, and I'm still learning all the vagaries. I have an original manual, but of course, factory support is mostly unavailable given the company's history. My Vacationer has two Interstate 31-MHD CCA950 batteries wired in parallel as the chassis batteries. I've been hooked to shore power for six months. I had thought that somehow would translate into maintaining the charge in the chassis batteries, but clearly that was wrong, since I needed a jump to start the engine this morning. I have seen (and used, on light trucks) new, computer controlled, charging systems that monitor the battery and deliver either a charge or enough to maintain a charge, depending on the state of the battery. Would such a device be a way to keep idle batteries ready? What might I do to allow the coach to sit for some months at a time not being run but still keep the chassis batteries in good shape?
9 REPLIES 9

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
You can hook your maintainer to one battery or the other. I hooked mine up with the positive lead on one battery and the negative lead on the other battery. Does it make a difference in charging? I can't say for sure but I had no problems with my batteries in the 4 years we owned the RV. Some will say that .75 A is not enough but mine spent most of the time with the green light on.
Randy

X12AEsq
Explorer
Explorer
randallb wrote:
We owned an 08 Vacationer XL and the fix to your problem is around $20.00. I used a Battery Tender Jr, .75A maintainer.

Did you leave the batteries wired in parallel and connect the charger across both of them them as a unit? I suppose since the batteries are in parallel, it doesn't matter if you connect the charger to the positive and negative pole of a single battery or positive of one and negative of the other?

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on the battery tender (or battery minder) - intelligent battery chargers that will not boil your battery dry (like a trickle charger will do).

most coaches do not charge the engine batteries when on shore power
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

RVWithTito
Explorer
Explorer
kdk wrote:
As said previously mentioned your chassis batteries are probably not charged while on shore power and parasitic loads are draining them. Google LSL products and take a look at the Amp-L-Start or the Trik-L-Start. The amp-l-start is a little more heavy duty but either will do the job. Very simple install and excellent customer service. After initial install it will take a couple of days for the chassis batteries to charge up but after that they will always stay fully charged as long as you are plugged into shore power and your inverter is functioning properly.
I installed the trik-l-start 6 yrs ago and have never had a problem again.
Blessings; kdk

Correct. Batteries drop a little each day. So a trickle charge on the chassis batteries is the best bet. I use a Battery Tender during the winter. Now if you're house is connected to shore power already, you can probably plug the trickle charger in from inside your RV and run the wires to your battery.

For yor house batteries, you should find out if the built in charger is a multi-stage charger. Multi-stage chargers will drop down to a trickle charge when the battery is fully charged. Single stage chargers can overcharge and damage your battery bank. There are upgrade kits available if you have a older charger. I upgraded mine (Here's a video)
2007 Four Winds 31F Class C; Ford E450 Chassis; 250 Watts Solar;

RV Solar, Towing, DIY and Tips on my website RVwithTito.com
Watch My Video Tips at YouTube/RVWithTito

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
We owned an 08 Vacationer XL and the fix to your problem is around $20.00. I used a Battery Tender Jr, .75A maintainer. Your choice of manufacturer may be different. Install the charging head in the LR storage/electrical compartment and run the wires across to your battery compartment. They are long enough. When you know you will be sitting for an extended period of time plug the maintainer in to the 20A pedestal plug using an extension cord. I had 2 on my XL. One for the chassis batteries and one for the coach batteries. When we would come home off a trip I would back in to the shop, turn off the battery disconnects and plug in the maintainers. When we were on shore power (traveling) I only plugged in the chassis maintainer. We never had a dead or low battery whether on the road or in storage and maintainers will extend the life of your batteries. Slower longer time period charges are easier on a battery than short high amperage charges.
Randy

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
As said previously mentioned your chassis batteries are probably not charged while on shore power and parasitic loads are draining them. Google LSL products and take a look at the Amp-L-Start or the Trik-L-Start. The amp-l-start is a little more heavy duty but either will do the job. Very simple install and excellent customer service. After initial install it will take a couple of days for the chassis batteries to charge up but after that they will always stay fully charged as long as you are plugged into shore power and your inverter is functioning properly.
I installed the trik-l-start 6 yrs ago and have never had a problem again.
Blessings; kdk
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

X12AEsq
Explorer
Explorer
Mark and Bully, thanks for the wisdom. I'll plead guilty to not having called Monaco on this particular problem, probably should have from the get go. In the meantime, I'll investigate those nice new trickle chargers. Does the fact that there are two batteries in parallel change what would be needed in such a charger? Would one sold for consumer use be able to charge both at the same time, given they're in parallel, or would I just burn it out?

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
You need a trickle charger..do a google, widely available and cheap, and easy to install..As far as support..Monaco/HR support is alive and well...if you call them with your coach #, you can get any support/data you need...I do not believe your model charges chassis batteries while on shore power..
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
X12AEsq, there should be full Holiday Rambler support, have you called them?

First, find out if your inverter charges the chassis batteries along with the house batteries. If they do, you might just need new chassis batteries as they only last about 4 yrs. If they are not charged by the inverter system, what you mentioned about adding a charger sounds good.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins