cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A 330 diesel won't shut off

papasmurf005
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Monaco with 330 Cummins that won't shut off. While the key is off engine runs, turn on lights or cruise engine shuts off. Alternator just replaced. Could this be ground problem or miss wired alternator. Also read about fuel pump solenoid cause problem?
20 REPLIES 20

Jack_Pine
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
Now Iam more interested to find out how a 7 pole trailer plug got wired to a diesel shut off solenoid and how that caused $15000 in damage.

Me too.
2004 F350 CC PSD 4*4
Keystone Hornet 2009 31RLDS
2001 Starcraft PU
Cabin in West Central Wisconsin

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Over the years there have been several time where my engine will be slow to stop running after turning the key off... several seconds delay. Today it decided to not shut off at all while I was refueling and then when I got home after a eight week trip...I guess that's better than not running. Had to disconnected the neg battery terminals and the engine disconnect switch to get it to stop after pulling the fuse for the signal from the key in the back run box did not stop it.

Isolated the problem to a bad diode on the Bird board which was back feeding alternator voltage even though the key was turned off. When the alternator voltage gets to 13.3 the Bird activates the big boy to start charging the house batteries too. With solder joints this big on the bird board it's fairly easy to replace the diodes yourself which is what I plan on doing. Hopefully we will hear back from him.

Today I got around to putting in the $3 MR750 diode in the Bird board that was back feeding power so my engine would not shut off...this fixed the problem. I think the OP has the same problem and have talked to him about it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Brett:

It was an F350, I think, maybe about 10 years old. It's a few years back and memory fades at my age!
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
I had a '78 VW Rabbit diesel that also developed the habit of burning the lube oil. It had well over 200,000 miles on it. If I got much over 60 mph it would start accelerating on its own. I would have to apply the brakes to bring it down below 40 mph and then it would stop burning lube oil and I could drive normally again.

The only way the work truck in the above post could have been stopped would have been to put it in gear (high gear if a stick) and with brake on hard let out on the clutch and hope that would do it. If an automatic, stand back so the pieces don't hit you. With my Duramax I can put an emergency air shut off on the engine if I so desire.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Detroit Diesel? when he said parked his work truck in the driveway I thought he meant like a 3/4 or one ton pick up type thing lol

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Frank,

Was this on a Detroit Diesel Two stroke or a more modern diesel?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Always be very leery of diesels that won't shut down. A neighbor had that issue with his work truck (owned by his employer). He got home, pulled into the driveway and switched off. It kept running, and got going faster and faster. He even disconnected the fuel pump, but to no avail. Eventually, there was a big bang and the crankshaft appeared outside the engine, in bits.

The diagnosis was that the engine had started using its lube oil for fuel and only stopped when it had burned enough of it to starve the bearings and break the crank.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Now Iam more interested to find out how a 7 pole trailer plug got wired to a diesel shut off solenoid and how that caused $15000 in damage.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP has a 04 Diplomat, very close to my 04 Dynasty electrically. Mine would not shut off because of a bad diode on the Bird board back feeding 12V to the solenoid in the injection pump. The Bird uses 13.3 Volts from the alternator to know when to start charging the house batteries. Interestingly my ABS light has come on and the OP has the same problem too. Hopefully the ABS issue goes away when I replace the diode on the Bird. I have a MR750 diode on order...$3.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
gatorcq wrote:
call cummins support.
All Class A Diesels engine are computer controlled PERIOD.
That being said, when you turn the key to off the computer then turns off a valve which is spring loaded. Thereby chocking the fuel off

Maybe you can enlighten me here.
I have a Ford type or standard solenoid back by the HEUI fuel pump, but also could be for the air compressor. Just trying to figure out, with what you're saying here and if this solenoid is what actually shuts off the fuel. If so and to work like you're saying, it would have to be a continuous duty type for holding the valve open when the engine is running. You can easily see it in some of these photos.
Cat engine pics
A better closeup of it here... Solenoid
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Roadpilot wrote:
We bought a new trailer for our MH. Had a Mobile Mechanic in Naples, FL. put in a connector to run it's lights and brakes. Arrived at our first destination and MH wouldn't turn off. tried everything including the mechanics switch in the engine compartment.

Then it occurred to me the only change lately was the trailer. Disconnected the plug and the engine stopped. The Mobile Mechanic had wired it such that the trailer battery for the brakes was driving the electronics in the bus. That cost me over $15K in blown stuff.

Who in Naples, so that I might not call him for anything ever?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am working with the OP off-line with a possible solution having had the same situation. His DP is in the shop so it will be Monday before we know more.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Roadpilot wrote:
We bought a new trailer for our MH. Had a Mobile Mechanic in Naples, FL. put in a connector to run it's lights and brakes. Arrived at our first destination and MH wouldn't turn off. tried everything including the mechanics switch in the engine compartment.

Then it occurred to me the only change lately was the trailer. Disconnected the plug and the engine stopped. The Mobile Mechanic had wired it such that the trailer battery for the brakes was driving the electronics in the bus. That cost me over $15K in blown stuff.

wow that's amazing. what stuff burned out? and what was the actual cause in the end .it all sounds very interesting if you would explain
thanks

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
call cummins support.
All Class A Diesels engine are computer controlled PERIOD.
That being said, when you turn the key to off the computer then turns off a valve which is spring loaded. Thereby chocking the fuel off
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog