cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CLASS A vs. CLASS C

George2012
Explorer
Explorer
We are debating whether to buy a Class A or a Class C and are having trouble finding comparisons of the two to help with the decision. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
19 REPLIES 19

edstep
Explorer
Explorer
The overall view while driving is a plus but the storage is what sold me on the Class A

Geaux_Tigers
Explorer
Explorer
Like most people on this forum, we have a Class A. Years ago we camped in a Prowler self contained trailer but back in 2006 when we were trying to decide what type of RV we wanted to return to camping with, we looked at 5th wheelers, Class C MHs, and Class A MHs. We decided on the Class A because the cargo capacity and towing capacity of the Class A was much better than the C. I wanted to use the RV to go to car shows and also for fishing weekends so towing capacity was important to me. In 2006 the Super C's were just coming out and since we could only afford a used unit we didn't look at them. Another thing I like about the Class A is if the front bumper goes through the space you are driving through, the rest of the unit will follow. On a Class C or with a trailer, you have to always remember that the box behind you is a foot wider on both sides than the front bumper. Good luck with your decision

------ Jim
Jim & Debbie
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer XL, 34PDD Diesel Pusher
6.7L-340HP Cummins, Allison 6-Speed
'74 VW Beetle

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to keep in mind the drivetrain and suspension components for a Class A come from the same used in Commercial Truck fleets. They are designed for up to a million miles of trouble free commercial service. Reliabilty is built in.

Once again, the fallacy of a 'Million Mile tale". There's not one A gasser or most diesel's that are built in such a way.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Tell us more about your intended use; where, how many nights per year, do you like full service CG or boondocking etc.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

cjalphonso
Explorer
Explorer
I chose class A over class C for multiple reasons:
1. When I go camping I like to see outside. Class C always felt very closed in because of the lack of windows especially on the front end.

2. When backing into a site, you can actually slide open the window and look straight down the side for a clear view in lieu of relying only on mirrors. Very important for overhead limbs etc.

3. Because of the large front window, similar to mirrors, it feels much bigger in size.

4. Class C's are much more prone to leaking, especially in the cab-over.

5. Driving and A is like looking out of a picture window. Driving a C feels like your in a cave with tunnel vision.

6. Class C's are almost at weight capacity for the frame out of the box. Class A's can handle much more weight.

7. Class A's tanks are usually much larger, see item 6 ๐Ÿ™‚

To me a class C really shines when it comes to large families. You can fit a lot more people in a C than you can in an A.

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
No exterior view in a C class, especially for the passengers. I love the big window in my A class, also the driver is crammed in a cockpit on a van chassis, storage is limited too.
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

Giselle
Explorer
Explorer
George2012 wrote:
We are debating whether to buy a Class A or a Class C and are having trouble finding comparisons of the two to help with the decision. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

The biggest problem with class C is the leg space or rtaher the over all spce. For long legged people, please avoid it. Howveer, calss A is perfect for condition and for all sizes. The adjustable setas amkes the difference, so any person small or long can drive it. Class A go with Class A (just like me);)

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Storage on the A was a big plus for me.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned both and found out Class A steers better than a Class C and you sit higher therefore you can see better when driving a Class A. More room for bottom storage in a Class A.

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
This is from an 8 year owner of a Kodiak based super C. Why did I choose this over a Class A?
Let me count the ways. Yes, the Super C and lower end Aโ€™s have similar house appointments all from the same makers and many living area floor plans are similar. For us the Super C had an oven, a big deal with the person I travel with. The seats up front are used as storage when stopped but the area above is not lost as it is a large entertainment center with two large storage cabinets and a full width pull out drawer for more storage or a 7โ€™ long bed with the pad provided. The doghouse on a Super C is almost not there with no shortage of leg room and easy access to the house. At 12ft tall there is 160 cu/ft of basement storage. And did I mention the driver and passenger doors for easy in and out? Then for some of us there is a large advantage to a Super C based on a commercial truck chassis due to its design and intended use. The truck is used as a box truck, small passenger tour bus, flat bed tow truck and a few dozen other applications. It is used, abused; beat up, flogged, ridden hard and put away wet by employees who have no respect for the vehicle. Now, if I use the rig as if I was the owner and cared about its care and feeding the truck will outlive me. Then some of us like the driving position of a truck cockpit which is not much different from my full size van in steering wheel and peddle position over the Lazy Boy chair in the corner of a family room with picture window feel ahead of the front wheels. Unlike in a regular Class C legroom is there for people up to 6โ€™10โ€ with another foot of room between the back of the seat and the slide. Finally, all of the pieces which go around or move are up front under a clam shell hood where all fluids and filters are easy to see and change without removing a panel under the bed or the closet. Oh yes, did I mention cooling of the engine, transmission and turbo inlet air temperature? All cooling radiators are up in the cool air in front of the large heat generating pieces of metal rather than the last thing in the rig way behind the hot metal out of the fresh cooling air. The dash air on its lowest temperature setting with the fan on low was too cool for my wife as we climbed out of the Colorado River eastbound on I-40 when the outside air showed 104. And the water temp gage actually moved two needle widths to the right on the long climb out. Get in, turn it on and drive. Itโ€™s as complicated as an anvil with few systems to monitor and maintain. Itโ€™s a truck, nothing fancy. Also let me add one other difference to consider. Try driving west for a few hours on a hot summer day with the sun in your eyes and a huge expanse of glass allowing the interior to heat up. On my Super C the sun rarely gets to the side windows and almost never shines through the windshield until the end of the day when we are at our destination. The large front overhang is not visible to me above the windshield and does not interfere with seeing out to drive. And since we do not sight see from inside the rig the lack of Class A glass is not an issue. Just another thought, do you know how little it costs and how easy it is to replace a truck windshield? Factor that difference into your future expense with a Class A. I get the motor, she gets the home and we are both happy.
Again, your mileage may differ and be happy whichever way you go.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 2 Cs, 2 As and also a B. I don't want another C because 90% of them are going to leak in the cabover sooner or later. Look on the C forum and see how many have leak problems. There are a few exceptions but they are the minority.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

RudysWorld
Explorer
Explorer
You could probably get better feedback if you would give some information about how you intend to use your motorhome. I personnally went with Class A because I felt I could get much more living and storage space for not a lot difference in cost. I have a lower end gas Class A. Manufacturers now have a crossover motorhome which is a combination of Class A & C. You might check into those also. Good Luck!
Rudy - 8 year old long haired dachshund
2011 Georgetown 350TS

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Class A for me provides better wide view of highway & surrounding scenery while driving and the ease of access to other areas of coach for wife while traveling.

Other than that can't think any other reasons I prefer the class "A".

Best of luck with your choice and enjoy safe travels...
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
You're posting in the Class A section of the Forums, so you're going to get pretty biased opinions towards Class A. I, too, prefer Class A, obviously since I bought a Class A, for the reasons stated above me. Ultimately, you will have to decide which is best for your application. You need to spend a lot of time looking at all options on both types of RVs. In fact, don't rule out a pull-behind or a 5th wheel until you decide for yourself AFTER looking at all of them and considering the pros and cons as they relate to YOUR preferred method of travel. Go to RV shows. Go to sales lots. Look around online. Look at friends' RVs. Talk to them. Rent both a Class A and a Class C and drive them around on trips if you haven't made your decision yet. You are going to spend a lot of money on whatever you buy so you'd better be happy with your purchase!!

Good Luck!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------