cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A-what year is it?

RAINEYTXX
Explorer
Explorer
So, as most of you probably know, a typical class A has a VIN or chassis number and the house portion of the motor home has a serial number assigned to it by your manufacturer.

What determines the year of a motorhome? Chassis or serial number. So, in this example your coach is a Forest River Georgetown and has a 2012 Ford VIN but was built say in late 2013 by Forest River. So, is your coach a 2012 (VIN) OR A 2013 (house portion) and who decides? If you purchased it as 2013 is it a 2013 or 2012 as indicated by the 10th digit of the Zaza VIN? What would you personally do if you bought it as a 2013 but either your bank or insurance company says it is 2012?

Thoughts?
2012 DRV Mobile Suites Atlanta 43'
2012 F-450
2016 Audi Q5
2011 Audi A8L
2004 Audi A4 6 speed sport package
34 REPLIES 34

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
bobkatmsu wrote:
My chassis was built in 2008 the motor home was built in 2009 the manufacturer did not title it until 2010. My registration and title say it is a 2010.

Manufacturers do NOT title any NEW vehicle. The Manufacturer supplies an MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) and the Local Government authority TITLES the vehicle. Same with Autos. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
JoeH wrote:
way2roll wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
rdhetrick wrote:
My coach (I bought it used 3 years ago) was built on an 05 chassis, the builder model year on their information was 2006. It has features and components from both their 2005 and 2006 model years which is also not uncommon. The title says 2005.

Not in Minnesota my chassis is 11 but title says it a 12

Mine either, any coach I ever owned (2 in MD and one in NC) was titled the year the house was built, not the chassis.

Not in Florida. We bought a used MH in 2000 from a dealer in Florida. It was previously titled in Indiana as a 1998, the year of the house build. But the VIN had it as a 1999. When I took it to the Florida DMV, they said they went by the VIN and titled it as a 1999. That made me happy as now teh value increased when it came time for resale.

Just because the DMV did not know what they were doing does NOT make it a fact. One glitch does not make one correct. Doug

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
rdhetrick wrote:
My coach (I bought it used 3 years ago) was built on an 05 chassis, the builder model year on their information was 2006. It has features and components from both their 2005 and 2006 model years which is also not uncommon. The title says 2005.

Mine either, any coach I ever owned (2 in MD and one in NC) was titled the year the house was built, not the chassis.

Not in Florida. We bought a used MH in 2000 from a dealer in Florida. It was previously titled in Indiana as a 1998, the year of the house build. But the VIN had it as a 1999. When I took it to the Florida DMV, they said they went by the VIN and titled it as a 1999. That made me happy as now teh value increased when it came time for resale.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The final manufacturer determines the model year for title purposes...

From the RVIA:

Split Model Years
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The way to figure out what year your coach is, is simple. If you're buying, it's an 07. If you're selling, it's an 08. :)....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
When a new owner takes his paperwork to the DMV for titling and registration, what should happen is the DMV should title the vehicle with the model year specified by the RV manufacturer. Sadly, it appears that not every DMV employee has “read the fine print in the contract,” or maybe they’re just obstinate. In cases where the DMV insists on titling the rig with the chassis model year, you can get help. Grab your phone and call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association at 703-620-6003 and ask for the Government Affairs Office. Hopefully your stalemate will be resolved in a hurry with their help.
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
My chassis was built in 2008 the motor home was built in 2009 the manufacturer did not title it until 2010. My registration and title say it is a 2010.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The MOTORHOME manufacturer determines the Year for registration. The CHASSIS is not involved at all in the determination. 35 years ago, they had 1982 model motorhomes on left over 1979 Dodge Class A chassis. A LOT of State and Local DMV and registration people also have no clue as to the correct way to determine model year. Doug

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Johno02 wrote:
Our coach has left over 04, 05, and 06 parts, a 04 chassis, and registered as an 05. That makes it over 10 years old, so we can't get into the resort RV parks that won't have anything over 10 yrs. So we volunteer and the NPS lets us stay for free. And state parks, and COE campgrounds.

Not to get off on a tangent but I think the 10 year rule is so parks can leverage it to keep out run down trashy looking units. I am sure yours is fine.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach has left over 04, 05, and 06 parts, a 04 chassis, and registered as an 05. That makes it over 10 years old, so we can't get into the resort RV parks that won't have anything over 10 yrs. So we volunteer and the NPS lets us stay for free. And state parks, and COE campgrounds.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
rr2254545 wrote:
rdhetrick wrote:

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buying a "NEW" motor home on a year old chassis means that the chassis has sat outside, unprotected, for a year. The tires have aged a year. The engine may not have been run for a year. The belts and hoses have aged a year. The chassis has probably started to rust and depending on whether or not the storage was in a field, various critters may have started nibbling on the wiring. I do not know of any RV manufacturer that stored unused Chassis inside their warehouse away from the elements.
But other than that, if the RV house is put on a year later, some salesman may be able to convince you that you just paid a lot of money for a "NEW" RV.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Any coach I ever had was based on the House year not the chassis year and they were all registered as such. Chassis is an incomplete vehicle, it doesn't become a MH until the house is built. That's usually a year later but I remember some years when sales were down and production slowed that the chassis were 2 or more years older. Coaches were still titled as the year the house was put on. Even orders for custom coaches take a long time and will have this discrepancy. They are still the year the coach was finished. This method not only makes sense, but is valuable to marketing and getting financing as well as fair market value. Everyone wins. No one wants to buy a brand new MH that's a year old, including the bank. It's the same in just about any industry, heck cars are putting out 2020 models now.