cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coach Batteries

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
The coach batteries in my motorhome are starting to show their age (6 years old) (accelerated because I once accidentally drained them to dead-zero) and I need a couple replacements. The current ones are a no-name (Harris) cheapo Group 27 lead-acid battery with a reserve capacity of 160 minutes at 25 amps (which actually isn't bad and translates to an AH rating of about 67 AH, plus or minus). We don't boondock and use the batteries only for lights, fans, etc., at night when power isn't available for some reason. We don't even have an inverter, so that's not an issue. I check the water level and clean the terminals every six months.

Therefore, I think all I need are basic lead-acid batteries. I certainly don't need AGM and unless I'm missing something, I don't even need gel. My first instinct was Wal-Mart, but those don't get very good reviews. Some other options are DieHard ($91 for 135 RC), Duracell ($99 for 90AH @ rate not specified), Duralast ($95 for 180 RC), and so on. Comparisons among such alternatives are hard because it seems like no one rates batteries using the same parameters and/or don't publish the full specs. G-r-r-r. For my purposes, though, maybe it doesn't matter anyway and I'm just being pointy-headed.

Anyway, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone wants to chime in. Otherwise, I'll just go with whatever impulse strikes me at the moment. Thoughts?

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1
20 REPLIES 20

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
I will agree with you Skip. Don't buy A Walmart battery. My wife worked there for over ten years so naturally when the battery went bad in her car we bought one there. It barely made it three years. Just stick with a good name brand and you'll be fine.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
A pair of group 27 twelve volts is only about 160 amp-hours in total.

usersmanual wrote:

seeing the unit comes with 2 27RV series its prudent to replace with such- going to two 6 volts may save some money he will also lose RC amps
a pair of good 27RV will have about 320 amps- 2 6volts to get one twelve will be around 220 amps RC
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
As others have suggested, if you are getting two batteries, it's usually the most cost effective to get a pair of 6V golf cart batteries (provided you have sufficient height in your battery compartment).

seeing the unit comes with 2 27RV series its prudent to replace with such- going to two 6 volts may save some money he will also lose RC amps
a pair of good 27RV will have about 320 amps- 2 6volts to get one twelve will be around 220 amps RC

Group 27 will have an AH rating ranging from 90 to 105 according to manufacturers claims. 6V Golf carts range from 200 to 240 AH

A pair of 27s in parallel will give 180 to 210 AH. A pair of GCs as above, 200 to 240

Reserve Cranking Amps aren't really of consideration in deep cycle application. Amp Hours is what you are looking for.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Skip the batteries you mentioned will work just fine.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
As others have suggested, if you are getting two batteries, it's usually the most cost effective to get a pair of 6V golf cart batteries (provided you have sufficient height in your battery compartment).

MrWizard
chassis may have come off the ford, or other mfg plant in 2011
but the RV was built on that chassis, in the latter half of 2012 to be a 2013 model

there is a difference between chassis year and Model year
the batteries were put in after the 'coach' was built

the coach/house batteries were installed in 2012, 4yrs old max

none of this really matters (except for future reference when looking for chassis/engine/transmission service) if the batteries need replacing, they need replacing

vehicle service ( not RV appliances ) goes by chassis year, shocks suspension engine chassis electrical etc.. its all listed/related to 'Chassis' year
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kaz wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Not sure how you have six-year-old batteries in the 2013 motorhome? For your usage I would go back with a single AGM battery and forget about it for six or eight years. Yes, I know you said no AGMs but once you've had them you'll never go back to the regular lead acid batteries.

Thanks, but since you don't intend to influence my judgment and don't advocate that I do what you just said, I'll ignore it. ๐Ÿ™‚ (That was a joke)

It's a 2013 model-year, which we bought in 2012, and which was manufactured in 2011, with components at least that old, maybe more. Therefore, the batteries are at least 5, maybe 6 (or more), years old.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Skip

Typically, at least for trailers but I suspect also for motorhomes, the batteries are installed by the dealer. Certainly I would not expect the house batteries to be the same age as the chassis, nor for a manufacturer to keep them sitting around for months before installation.

To be a 2013 model year, it could not have completed manufacture any earlier than sometime in 2012 per federal law. A vehicle maker may change their model years at any point in the year, but the numbering comes from the vehicle year that spans January 1st. (In other words, if they change over in March, then the vehicles made from March through December get the next year's model year, while those made in January and February get the current year's model year.)

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone. The suggestion that I quit fretting over it is exactly right. I'll head to Costco (or the local auto parts store) and get one with the best warranty, rating, and/or price.

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Not sure how you have six-year-old batteries in the 2013 motorhome? For your usage I would go back with a single AGM battery and forget about it for six or eight years. Yes, I know you said no AGMs but once you've had them you'll never go back to the regular lead acid batteries.

Thanks, but since you don't intend to influence my judgment and don't advocate that I do what you just said, I'll ignore it. ๐Ÿ™‚ (That was a joke)

It's a 2013 model-year, which we bought in 2012, and which was manufactured in 2011, with components at least that old, maybe more. Therefore, the batteries are at least 5, maybe 6 (or more), years old.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Kaz wrote:
The coach batteries in my motorhome are starting to show their age (6 years old) (accelerated because I once accidentally drained them to dead-zero) and I need a couple replacements. The current ones are a no-name (Harris) cheapo Group 27 lead-acid battery with a reserve capacity of 160 minutes at 25 amps (which actually isn't bad and translates to an AH rating of about 67 AH, plus or minus). We don't boondock and use the batteries only for lights, fans, etc., at night when power isn't available for some reason. We don't even have an inverter, so that's not an issue. I check the water level and clean the terminals every six months.

Therefore, I think all I need are basic lead-acid batteries. I certainly don't need AGM and unless I'm missing something, I don't even need gel. My first instinct was Wal-Mart, but those don't get very good reviews. Some other options are DieHard ($91 for 135 RC), Duracell ($99 for 90AH @ rate not specified), Duralast ($95 for 180 RC), and so on. Comparisons among such alternatives are hard because it seems like no one rates batteries using the same parameters and/or don't publish the full specs. G-r-r-r. For my purposes, though, maybe it doesn't matter anyway and I'm just being pointy-headed.

Anyway, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone wants to chime in. Otherwise, I'll just go with whatever impulse strikes me at the moment. Thoughts?

Skip

Don't complicate your RV life for no good reason.just go to Costco(as suggested earler) and buy two 27RV batterys and be happy

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
You are much better off getting 2 6V golf cart batteries. Both Costco and Sams carry them at a very good price.

AGM have their place which is where they might wind up on a 45ยฐ angle ! Yes, you need to water flooded cell batteries. Yes you should clean the outside at least once a year. Doing that maintenance will save you a lot of money.

It is also difficult to find true deep cycle AGM batteries.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Since you are comparing cost.... Costco has group 27 deep cycle.