cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coach Batteries

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like I will be replacing my coach batteries in the near future, they (only have 2) aren't holding a charge very long, this happened a few months ago & I found they were low on water & the cable hookups needed cleaning very bad, I fixed this problem, but now they are not holding the charge again for more than a few weeks & I do have the 12 volt switch in the off position when at home.

What batteries should I be looking to buy, we only use the RV about 6 months of the year & that only for 3 or 4 days at a time.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo
21 REPLIES 21

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let's hope OP returns.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What batteries do you have now...

My recommendation is most always the same G-2's or L-16's depending on several things.

WHY
Group 24 MARINE/deep cycle or MARINE/rv.. abot 75 AH each you can use perhaps 25% before damage (Fast aging) Sets in)
Group 27, 29 and 31 just under 100, over 100 and 120-130 respectively.

GC-2 Pairs are DEEP CYCLE Golf Car batteries. you can safely use HALF the power before rapid aging sets in.. and that's 1/2 of 220 Amp hours give or take 10.
The L-16 is nearly tx that (Also used in six volt pairs)

Watts (amp hours time volts) per pound is nearly identical across all lead acid batteries. Flooded wet, Maintenance Free and AGM.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
You can get golf cart batteries Inerstate GC-2 (6v) at Costco for under $100 probably the same price at Sams Club. They will need water AT LEAST once a month. Use distilled water only.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Solar is the easy way to charge batteries and keep them charged during RV hibernation.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
cheapest you can find and disconnect the negative battery cable when not in use. Ensure you charge them up a few days worth before you disconnect them. They are not going to last 4 or 5 days without charging them. Higher end battery will last a longer but not 4/5 days without a charge if being used.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your maintenance habits don't improve, get AGMs. No water, no corrosion. Yes, more money, but well worth it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Open ended question ,,,,

do you boon dock?
What was there before?
Do you have an on board inverter and use high draw appliances?
Do you have solar?
What converter do you have? WFCO, Progressive. etc
Do you use a generator?
Are you plugged in all the time?
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh