cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cold weather with enclosed heated tanks

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
We are buying a Sunseeker C with enclosed tanks and dump valves, heated when the furnace is on. Also, it has 12v tank heater pads. This is all new to me, the first rv we have owned that didn't have exposed tanks and dump valves. So what are the lower temperature limitations, assuming we have power to the tank heaters?

Driving through the day, with tank heaters on, what temperature will be okay? Same question for camping at night, with the furnace on, and heaters if need be? This would not be long term, unless we got bogged down due to bad weather. This would be during a winter trip heading to a snowbird spot. Thanks.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
8 REPLIES 8

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use water bed heaters with Thermal weatherproof tape on the underside of the tanks. They never get too hot or won't burn the tank if empty. We merely just keep the tanks above freezing (if needed).
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
My RV has a slightly different configuration with both the 12 volt heaters (usually on joints and elbows) and the tank heaters on 120 volt power. I have left mine plugged in and unwinterized on a couple of years with no issues. Temps here usually include a half dozen or so days below zero with MOST of the time lows in the teens.

When using only the 12 volt system which is turned on and off manually, while towing we've towed in temps into the teens and still had no issues dumping tanks.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks for the tips.
Sounds like I should be okay in the teens if I use the available heat.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Also, never (EVER) run the tank heat pads with the tanks empty.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Harvard,

If it is the venerable v-10 it will start at -30 C. But I would far rather do as you did and plug in the block heater.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a night in Jackpot Nevada last December 28th and it went to -30C (-22F) and the only problem we had was the water line from the fresh water tank to the water pump froze up. Turns out there was no harm done but in the future we will take additional precautions as this line runs along an outside wall in the bedroom.

Our black and grey tanks (+ gate valves) are heated by the furnace (and engine heat while in transit), no heating pads. 2004 Triple E Regency 28 foot.

On edit, I should mention that we also had the vehicle block heater plugged in all night and I am glad we did as I am unsure if it would have started in the morning at ambient temperature (Ford E450).

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Turn them on as temperature go below freezing. If not plugged in or running the house battery may drain quickly.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Snowman,

I've tested my system to -27 C (-16.6 f). I found out that the dash heater would prevent the furnace from running and then I'd have freezing issues. So I replaced the return air grill on the furnace with a fan. On my rv that circulates warm "living space" air under the cabinets and pushes some air along the furnace duct work. I chose to use a dual window fan unit which is controlled by a mechanical thermostat that lives beside the water pump next to the outdoor wall of the RV.

The fan unit draws just 23 watts and works better than a 1500 watt fan based heater which I tried using inside the cabinet.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.