cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connections, connections, connections ??????

w3ozwizard
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at what I need or feel I need to set up a class C I am planning and buying later this summer. When I had a motorhome years ago all I had to worry about hooking up to 12 volts was a CB radio to listen to the trucker chatter and find a campground I was looking for. Now days even in my car there are a lot of devices I need to connect to 12 volts like my GPS and cell phone. Now that I am planning on getting some things I feel I need or want for a motorhome like rear view cameras, GPS, CB radio, Cell phone, TPMS, GoPro camera to record the trip, and other thing. There are only so many cigarette lighter connections and I am sure if I plugged all of them in I would blow the fuse anyway. So here is my question? Is there a handy dandy device that you folks are getting that would be kind of like and extension cord that you can plug all these devices in with maybe just one connection ran to the cab or coach battery? I don’t need to have these devices turned off with the ignition switch but would need an off and on switch to cut the juice when I want to shut it all down. Any suggestions. Thanks.
2009 Four Winds Majestic 28A
13 REPLIES 13

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I put in a 300 watt inverter and a couple transfer switches to power all the existing outlets.
For small items I just plug in where and when I like same as at home.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
You ain't old.
You're just experienced. 🙂

w3ozwizard
Explorer
Explorer
An old fart like me is learning lot from all of you. I have several options now thanks.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
w3ozwizard wrote:
Someone suggested an inverter with USB ports on it. Sounds workable but is it home made or can I buy one like that somewhere. Do you have a link to one.

Not home made. It's hard to find an inverter these days without a USB port or three. 🙂

A quick Walmart search displayed a few dozen. Here's one similar to what we have now:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-180-Watt-Cup-Inverter/33837257

w3ozwizard wrote:
The multi-cigarette device looks like a good way to go as long as it does not exceed the capacity of the port on the MH. I am not sure if you all use CB anymore so maybe I will wait on that but if I need one, I will probably just wire it to the cab battery. Thanks guys you been a big help.

Someone else said that none of the devices you listed are big amp pullers. And I agree. You'll pop a fuse first.

If concerned, I'd probably cobble up a simple 5A inline fuse and load up the devices and find out. That seems a lot easier that fishing wires thru the firewall to the battery.

Microelectronics just don't suck the watts anymore. They can't - those that are designed to run on batteries are pretty parsimonious power pullers. 🙂

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
w3ozwizard wrote:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I was not aware that you could run power to the mini USB port on a GPS.

Not all GPS units will allow you to use the GPS if it is connected to a computer or a USB port. We have a Garmin NUVI 285W. If I connect a standard USB cable to it and then to a 12v USB port, the GPS displays an image of a computer like I have hooked it up to a computer. It will charge the GPS, but I can't use it as a GPS.

This may have changed with newer GPS units or even different NUVI units.

As to your original question. The newer E450 chassis have 2 12v outlets. Using a device like punomatic linked to gives you more. I installed a 12v USB connector similiar to this one so I can charge my smartphone without wasting one of the 2 12v outlets on the dash.

I have an old Galaxy CB (not used in MH) that can be hardwired or connected to a 12v outlet. The 12v wires to the CB has an anderson connector on it. In my Xterra the CB is hard wired, but I can disconnect the CB at the anderson connector and attached a 12v plug with anderson connector on the other end and use the CB in another vehicle not hard wired for it. Now with a smartphone, the CB is pretty useless for me on the road. Only use it for Off-road communications.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

w3ozwizard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the advice. I was not aware that you could run power to the mini USB port on a GPS. The manual seems to say it is only for connection to a computer to download software. But still if that is how most are doing it. Then what do you have at the other end of the USB cable? Someone suggested an inverter with USB ports on it. Sounds workable but is it home made or can I buy one like that somewhere. Do you have a link to one. The multi-cigarette device looks like a good way to go as long as it does not exceed the capacity of the port on the MH. I am not sure if you all use CB anymore so maybe I will wait on that but if I need one, I will probably just wire it to the cab battery. Thanks guys you been a big help.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
We got something like this (although this is a different brand) at Walmart. We plug in GPS, Rearview camera monitor, and iPhone without any problems. Our TPMS monitor unit has a battery that recharges from the 12V outlet, and then, per the directions, we unplug it and let it run off the rechargeable battery. It only requires recharging about every 30 days, so I think the current draw is infinitesimal.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Why not wait until you have MH and then know what you need ?

That is good advice indeed.

None of the devices you listed are really high draw devices; the CB would probably be the biggest consumer, and it might need a couple amps. (The simple one I have, currently in storage in my basement, has a 2A fuse in its power line.) Typical lighter/accessory plugs can supply around 10A; you should be able to run them all off of a single plug without blowing a fuse.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why not wait until you have MH and then know what you need ?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
w3ozwizard wrote:
USB is 5 volts good for computer devices but not good for things that require higher voltage or amperage. Thanks for suggestion.

You specifically listed GPS, cell phones, gopro cameras. I believe the TPMS monitor in my truck will power off of a USB as well. CB (old technology) needs 12v but most of the others do not. All of the new cars, trucks and RV's are converting over to USB ports for these items. What do you want to power? a toaster? LOL
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the items you listed (GPS, GoPro, Cell Phone) use USB to recharge. Hence the suggestion. I use a combination of a small 150 watt inverter with 2 AC plugs and a couple of USB ports.

For the backup camera, I installed a terminal block hanging off a 12V fused 5A power link under the seat. Then tapped the devices into that.

I hate wires so the hardest part for me is finding a way to run them, but hidden.

w3ozwizard
Explorer
Explorer
USB is 5 volts good for computer devices but not good for things that require higher voltage or amperage. Thanks for suggestion.

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
USB ports are the new way to connect your devices.
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd