cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter choice

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to replace my converter so I can have one with a battery charger in it. I know nothing about them except that I've found a Progressive 9100 series that I can get the Wizard for AGM batteries. Is that going to be my only choice or do any of you recommend something better? Thanks in advance, Jerry
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis
10 REPLIES 10

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I, also, went with 4g wire and a PD4655. It was a drop-in replacement.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Jer&Ger wrote:
Thanks guys, I think I'm going with the progressive 9200/60. That should take care of me for quite a while. Jerry

Good choice. You may consider increasing the size of the wire between the converter and the battery for best charging. I replaced my old #8 AWG wire with #4 when I replaced my Parallax with a PD9260.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, I think I'm going with the progressive 9200/60. That should take care of me for quite a while. Jerry

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Jer&Ger wrote:
I'm looking to replace my converter so I can have one with a battery charger in it. I know nothing about them except that I've found a Progressive 9100 series that I can get the Wizard for AGM batteries. Is that going to be my only choice or do any of you recommend something better? Thanks in advance, Jerry

The main difference between the Progressive 9100 & 9200 series converters is the 9200 has a "built in Wizard" & the 9100 lists the Wizard as an option.

I believe any modern convertor on the market today with a charging system, built in or add-on is ok for AGM batteries. The reason being is none of them have a true "equalization" charge function, which apparently, some AGM manufacturers indicate in their instructions to avoid "equalization"

I agree & disagree with smkettner:
"this just is not true. PD and IOTA will charge every bit as good as a portable battery charger and usually better"

The difference being the PD and IOTA deliver 3-4 stage charging. A regular battery charger does not, but a portable "SMART CHARGER" does everything needed to maintain a Lead Acid deep cycle. Battery equalization charging takes place above 14.4 up to 16.0 volts & the Wizard delivers only 14.4 in either Boost or Equalization mode.

Lead acid batteries require an occasional "equalization" charge in order to reach full capacity & life expectancy. The very best & easiest way to accomplish that is with a good "SMART CHARGER". It takes all the guess work out of properly maintaining an RV Deep Cycle battery.

I camp off-grid always & have an old Magnetek Converter (junk). I have a Champion generator & charge my 2-6 volt batteries with my Smart Charger, not through the converter which delivers at most 13.2 volts, or about 5-amps at best.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
rjxj wrote:
if you want to be off grid most of the time you probably find that a converter wont do it all.
This just is not true. PD and IOTA will charge every bit as good as a portable battery charger and usually better.

To the OP,
AGM is not that different from a wet cell for charging profile. About 60 amp PD or IOTA will serve you well charging that Optima. You do need the wizard (PD) or IQ controller (IOTA) to have them function as you expect. Built-in or pendent is fine.

www.bestconverter.com

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know all the PD chargers are good with AGMs. I run one on my Lifeline AGMs.

BTW, when you go to replace your Optima there are AGMs out there that have much more capability for the same volume. If you are on a non AGM budget, a couple of 6 volt wet cell golf cart batteries will give you great service if you have room for them.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I mainly camp off grid & my main concern is that I have an Optima AGM battery that I was worried about being charged at the wrong voltage for it. The charge wizard with the 9100 series says it is made just for AGM batteries, the 9200 series doesn't say anything about AGM's. I just came across the IOTA DLS-55/IQ4 12 VOLT 55 AMP 4 STAGE AUTOMATIC SMART BATTERY CHARGER / POWER SUPPLY that says it will do AGM's too. Jerry

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
All converters are also battery chargers, some are better chargers than others. Older converters such as the Magnetek/Parallax series are fixed voltage. Not high enough to charge very fast but high enough to boil the battery fluid.

Modern converters are 3 or 4 stage that start at a high voltage to charge the battery fast, then reduce the voltage to maintain the battery without boiling away the fluid.

The Progressive 9100 series is a modern converter and has been replaced with the 9200 series that has the wizard built in. It is one of the best.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
How are you going to camp? They are converters first and battery chargers second. If you are plugged into shore power all the time most will work but if you want to be off grid most of the time you probably find that a converter wont do it all. Avoid WFCO unless you are truly dedicated to spending good money to promote world friendship. ๐Ÿ™‚

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That would be an excellent choice.