cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting 12 volt coach batteries to 6 volt

philandmargo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Tiffin Zephyr. It has 4 deep cycle 12 volt batteries that power the coach. The batteries need to be replaced. I have heard that using 6 volt batteries is a more efficient and economic system. Can my system be converted? If so, how would I proceed? Thanks, Phil
26 REPLIES 26

tiredkid
Explorer
Explorer
OnaQuest wrote:
BSDP Don wrote:
"philandmargo...."wildtoad" and "tiredkid" have the best answer. Even though four 6 volt batteries are typically what are now used by most, the 12 volts are fine if they served you well. Since you have to buy batteries anyhow, the cost of batteries will be a wash, but with the price of copper cable, you could spend quite a bit of money on new cables.
I understand that we are all just voicing our opinion, but that opinion should have some basis of fact.

Seems to me that one could re-use the interconnecting cables from the four parallel 12V batteries to interconnect the four series/parallel 6V batteries AND HAVE TWO CABLES LEFT OVER... Where's the big investment in new copper cables?

Because he needs 8 six volt batterys to make the same power as 4 12 volts(approx.)

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Onaquest is correct. If you had to buy new cables, you'd only need two for the series interconnects (if using four 6V). That said, if the 4 12V worked, I'd just keep using those.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"philandmargo...."wildtoad" and "tiredkid" have the best answer. Even though four 6 volt batteries are typically what are now used by most, the 12 volts are fine if they served you well. Since you have to buy batteries anyhow, the cost of batteries will be a wash, but with the price of copper cable, you could spend quite a bit of money on new cables.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
tiredkid wrote:
philandmargo wrote:
I have a 2000 Tiffin Zephyr. It has 4 deep cycle 12 volt batteries that power the coach. The batteries need to be replaced. I have heard that using 6 volt batteries is a more efficient and economic system. Can my system be converted?

Don't bother, reuse 4 new 12V deep cycle batterys.The cost and room and work involved does not outweigh any advantage to using Eight 6 volt batterys especially if your using 4DM size 12 volt

I doubt very seriously that the OP has (4) 4DM batteries installed. However, it would NOT take (8) eight GC-2 6Volt batteries to replace (4) four 12Volt batteries. It would only require four.

One would need to know what brand, size and type 12volt battery was being replaced/considered to make a definitive statement about which was best. My personal preference is the 6volt GC-2 setup.

tiredkid
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Have you ever run out of battery power? Have the batteries you have provided you with good service and lasted a good while? If the answers are (No, Yes) then leave well enough alone and replace them with like batteries.

yes agreed just as I posted earlier there is not one reason to change his existing set up. none

BIKERK9
Explorer
Explorer
Understanding connecting Batteries in Parallel and Series
DoggyDaddy
2008 Damon Outlaw 37', WH-24, 8.1 GMC
Class A Toy Hauler
DoggyDaddy CommunityProfile

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
You first wire two 6 volt batteries at a time in series (neg - to pos +) and now you have created two 12 volt battery banks that must be wired in parallel (neg - to neg - & pos + to pos +) before connecting them to your rig's DC system. Using the same length and diameter of wire throughout makes the set-up more balanced.

Whether you use 12 volt or 6 volt, it still boils down to total amphours, there are pros and cons to either set-up. We purchased our current pair of Interstate GC2 6 volt batteries from Samsclub and they have been providing reliable service over the past 4 years. We are utilizing a smart charging converter that keeps them healthy and strong, we try not to discharge them below 50% SOC, keep them clean and monitor fluid levels, although they rarely exhibit corrosion or require distilled water.

We were planning on adding a second set of golf cart batteries, but have not needed to since replacing all our incandescent lighting to LEDs. We run our onboard audio/video equipment throughout the day even when we're camping off the power grid, most times consuming a small portion of available amphours which is quickly restored via generator and Iota IQ4 the next morning while making breakfast.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you ever run out of battery power? Have the batteries you have provided you with good service and lasted a good while? If the answers are (No, Yes) then leave well enough alone and replace them with like batteries.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

tiredkid
Explorer
Explorer
philandmargo wrote:
I have a 2000 Tiffin Zephyr. It has 4 deep cycle 12 volt batteries that power the coach. The batteries need to be replaced. I have heard that using 6 volt batteries is a more efficient and economic system. Can my system be converted? If so, how would I proceed? Thanks, Phil

Don't bother, reuse 4 new 12V deep cycle batterys.The cost and room and work involved does not outweigh any advantage to using Eight 6 volt batterys
especially if your using 4DM size 12 volt

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend going with six, 6 volt golf car batteries. Each pair of batteries must be wired in series, then you wire all the pairs together. If you have not done this before, I would recommend having it done by someone who is familiar with the process.

If you want the most maintenance free installation, go with AGM batteries. They are pricey, however. If you can easily get to the tops of the batteries to check/replenish water, standard lead/acid golf car batteries are great.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
philandmargo wrote:

This will help you understand what it takes to switch from 12 volt to 6 volt. 12 volt side of life

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Phil,

So long as there is room for twin six volts, yes it can. How many batteries do you have now? Make sure any change is wired in a balanced manner.

A well designed battery bank will work well what ever voltage is used. I.e. 2 volt are the best--but you need room for six of them. 12 volt is my preference because I use a medium sized inverter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.