cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core of Engineers camping

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have decided to try some camping in the COE camp grounds. My problem seems to be, my motor home may be too long. at 38'11". Most of the camp grounds I have checked have a 36' limit.
If I fudge a little and attempt to reserve a site, will they ask me to leave when I arrive? What does everyone else do? Surely people with larger coaches have enjoyed the COE campgrounds.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows
20 REPLIES 20

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Several of you gave me some excellent advice. I will stop looking at web sites and make more phone calls and thanks jeanbo1, I need to place an Amazon order, I'll add the book. Thanks to Teacher's Pet fr the link. I was using Reserve America which may not be the best info available.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Several of you gave me some excellent advice. I will stop looking at web sites and make more phone calls and thanks jeanbo1, I need to place an Amazon order, I'll add the book. Thanks to Teacher's Pet fr the link. I was using Reserve America which may not be the best info available.

jeanbo1
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a book on Amazon for the COE campgrounds, Camping With the Corps of Engineers: The Complete Guide to Campgrounds Built and Operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Wright Guides) Paperback – June 15, 2015

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We have also stayed at Corps parks with our 40' motorhome and Jeep and many times had excess room. I think you need to find a different park. Also, some Corp parks have multiple campgrounds so just look up another. Some are geared for rustic camping - tents and smaller RVs; some for bigger RVs with full hookups.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just FYI - it's Corps of Engineers.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very often the restrictions are made for liability reason.
They don't want no-skills drivers of 40' coaches to start fooling around and making danger U-turns on narrow and crowded passages.
I have been camping my 40' on campground with 30' restrictions.
But that was campground I am familiar with for 20 years and I went there mid-week what gave me time to maneuver without worry about blocking the crowds.

darbyjudy
Explorer
Explorer
I have used COE campgrounds in Alabama, TN and GA for many years and I have a 37 ft MH. I have never had any problems and dthe sites are large enough.
2004 Gulf Stream 36 ft Sun Voyager triple slide
Workhorse W22 8.1
2004 Saturn VUE w/stowmaster towbar
Two Ole Pharts & One Little CocaPoo named Cuddles

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy wrote:
I have decided to try some camping in the COE camp grounds. My problem seems to be, my motor home may be too long. at 38'11". Most of the camp grounds I have checked have a 36' limit.
If I fudge a little and attempt to reserve a site, will they ask me to leave when I arrive? What does everyone else do? Surely people with larger coaches have enjoyed the COE campgrounds.

Maybe if you post the campgrounds you are considering, someone here might be able to give you more feedback on that specific campground.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
The only ACOE that we have seen where your size would be a problem are the ones that are dry camping. These are typically smaller and maybe half a dozen sites.
Just looked at our ACOE CG book and don't see a size limit as a general rule.
Some of the smaller ones listed do show size limits.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
I have stayed at probably 20 COE campgrounds in the Southeast in the last couple of years and never had a problem finding a site for my 40 footer. My advice is to call the actual campground and get the specifics because the website is not always correct. Now some of the roads can be narrow and overhanging branches bear watching.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Check the COE Campgrounds at Recreation.gov. Click on the camp site number on the map and it will give you, a photo, the site length and hookups.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

GTN_and_Catz
Explorer
Explorer
I've found Google Earth to be very useful when looking at some COE sites and trying to identify a specific camping site. If there's not too much tree cover, you can get a pretty good idea if the camping site is a short or long pull-through or has enough room to back in, etc.

We frequent COE parks and haven't run into any issues with our 36' and we usually have either a tow dolly or the jeep toad. But those may just be the ones in our part of the world.
Gene
2003 36' Rexhall RexAir
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Demco Kar Kaddy SS
Blue Ox Aventa II
2 Ragdolls
1 Tabby

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at several USACE parks we're over 53' and usually don't unhook the TV. Most have been west of Mississippi but not all.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes its not the individual site length but narrow interior roads, sharp turns and limited room to either back into a site or pull out of.

I you want to give it a shot do you home work beyond picking a park and camp site. Use the available satellite or birds eye aerial view of the camp ground. Check the interior roads, turns and such. Give the prospective camp ground a call. Many times the contact station and phones are manned by work-campers who will understand what you are asking.

90% of my outings are government facilities and even with my 30' home on wheels I check new park out as much as possible. A pull thru site is no guarantee either if your rig can't make the turn to avoid the drainage ditches, trees, site markers, boulders and such on both sides of the road.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53