Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crack in fiberglass next to slide

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
[img][/img]

I am looking at buying a class A motorhome and it has a crack in the fiberglass next to the corner of a slide. Is that a cause for concern ? Is it a fairly common problem?
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990
14 REPLIES 14

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
Had that problem on 2013 Tiffin and Tiffin took care of it last year it’s a know problem

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something is flexing for that to happen. Yes it can be fixed but it will happen again unless you find where it’s flexing (probably a broken weld on the aluminum frame), and find exactly where is a job in itself. Leave this RV to someone who wants a project!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Not Cheap to fix, but fixing a repair that will last can be done.
You cut out the filon about 3 foot square and then weld on a flat aluminum support plate where the wall is weak and then glue a new Filon back on fiberglas and finish and paint. probably about $3000 to do. Doug

Bruce_Brown
That looks bad.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for fixing the photo

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Like this:
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is your image:

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brandon327 wrote:
[img][/img]

I am looking at buying a class A motorhome and it has a crack in the fiberglass next to the corner of a slide. Is that a cause for concern ? Is it a fairly common problem?

Try going HERE for posting your picture. Drag, drop or search for your photo and put it in the box. Cut and paste the link into your post and your picture will show up. Sizing and everything is automatically done for you. Thanks to one of our mods for putting that tidbit together for us. Be sure to hit Ctrl D and save that page for future reference....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it a crack in the fiberglass or just a crack in the Gel coat? If it is just the Gel coat. Not much problem. But if the Glass itself is cracked. that is all the way through.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Brandon327 wrote:
Thanks for the reply’s. I am going to avoid it like the cornavirus. I don’t need to buy problems.

Good choice. My last MH (a 2001 37' Residency) developed a crack in the corner of the bedroom slide opening. I suspect it was caused by the frame under the wall twisting/drooping. It was a nice MH but we're much happier now with a different (quality) MH and I no longer worry what might happen next.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply’s. I am going to avoid it like the cornavirus. I don’t need to buy problems.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be. I can not see your image. fiber glass can be high dollar if you can not fix your self. Also is it stress /damage from being hit.

If stress you going to have hidden repairs to correct it.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Stress cracks. A friend had that problem, had it fixed, but it returned. I would avoid that coach.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep looking IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad