cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cummins ISL Wrist Pin

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a '05 coach with a 400HP ISL engine. I understand that the '05 & '06 years may have a problem with wrist pins. Has anyone here experienced problems with their ISL ?
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?
8 REPLIES 8

roundown8366
Explorer
Explorer
Correction from Dean: mileage was 28,000 (twenty eight thousand miles).

Dean

roundown8366
Explorer
Explorer
As stated check the engine serial number. The warranty on the engine was was for five years.

My ISL blew (I mean really blew, a hole about 18x12 inches in the block) at 28,00 miles, with no warning and about one month before the warranty expired. Cummins covered the cost. The bill was about $30,000.

Personally, I would run from the sale as fast as possible.

Dean

falconman
Explorer
Explorer
You can't go by just model years, check the engine serial number. We looked at an 07 Monaco that was within the recall range. The Cummins "fix" was to install a different valve cover with a pressure sensor and a light on the dash. It's purpose to inform you that your engine was failing. How big of failure depends how soon you got it stopped. I'm sure not all engines in that range were defective and failed, but we chose not.to take a chance. We found an 05 outside the range and are quite happy.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
If you're looking at an "05" coach, it could quite possibly have an "04" chassis under it as this is quite common with most RV mfr.

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
46543077 to 46603939 should be the correct serial numbers as posted by ScottG. It did involve the 05 and 06 model years. Between October 17,2005 and April 18, 2006.
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmctoyman wrote:
I'm looking at a '05 coach with a 400HP ISL engine. I understand that the '05 & '06 years may have a problem with wrist pins. Has anyone here experienced problems with their ISL ?

I would get the engine serial number and you can find out when it was manufactured.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Don, I think your thinking of the #53 (or was it 52?) block issue. The wrist pin problem was later:
The following information is submitted in accordance with the National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration's reporting regulations, 49 CFR Part 5 73.6.
Cummins Inc. (Cummins) has decided that there is a potential safety-related defect with
respect to connecting rods in ISL CM850 diesel engines manufactured by Cummins and
installed as original equipment in those motor vehicles identified below.
1. Product identification and customer channels.
This defect involves Cummins ISL CMS5O diesel engines produced for recreational
vehicle applications between October 17,2005 and April 18, 2006. There are 2159
engines in the subject population that we intend to campaign.
All ISL CM850 engines in the subject population are covered by this recall. The ISL
CM850 recreational vehicle ESNs eligible for this campaign range from 46543077 to
46603939. A complete listing of the subject populations by vehicle manufacturer is
attached in Appendix A.
2. Identification of the item: Connecting Rod
Engine Make: Cummins
Model: ISL CM850
Part Number: 3971 393
Function: Transmit energy from the piston to the crankshaft
3. Estimated extent of defect population.
Cummins estimates that approximately 3 3% of the subject population of engines could
experience a connecting rod failure. Cummins will pursue a 100% recall on all engines
in the subject population.
Cummins notes that the Company has voluntarily decided to conduct this recall.
Cummins Inc.
500 Jackson Street
Columbl~sI,N 47201 LISA
Phone 18123775000
cummins.com
07E-033
(4 pages)
4. Description of defect.
The connecting rod contains a machining defect in the wrist pin bushing of the rod that
could cause a seizure of the piston pin, which if allowed to progress, can lead to engine
failure with the possibility of the rod rupturing the block cavity, oil and debris on the
roadway and vehicle crash.
5. Chronology of events.
Over the later months of 2006, Cummins received reports of ISL CM850 engine failures
of recreational vehicles in the field. The failures were occurring on ISL CM850 engines
built after October 1 7, 2005.
In response to these reports, Cummins Service Engineering and Cummins Product
Engineering investigated the failures and coordinated problem solving activities. On
May 11, 2007, these activities led to a management decision to conduct a safety
campaign on ISL CM850 recreational vehicle engines built between October 17,2005
and April 18,2006.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
That problem was with 99-02 or so. By 2005 the Cummins was extremely reliable.