cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash Environment Control 3D Printed fix

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
Back in 2017 during our first trip out after winter, our dash air was stuck only heat. I had it checked and it turns out that there was a clamp of sorts that held a cable which opens/closes the flap to allow (or not) hot air in. Mine was broken in the heat position. There is a body shop in my town that works on pretty much anything and so I asked them to check on fixing it. They came back and said the part was $400 which I hesitatingly said to go ahead and do. It turned out that Fleetwood didn't have any in stock so I told them to just hold and we will revisit. I had them set it in the cold position for summer driving/camping.

Today, I was checking things in the RV and decided to have a look at that control. I am an avid 3d printer hobbyist and as I looked at the plastic case, I realized I could design and print something. It took me about 30 minutes to design what I wanted and about 20 minutes to 3d print the part which cost about 3 cents in plastic.

It was a success and so for a little bit of my time, maybe a total of an hour along with printing the part that cost me 3 cents in PLA plastic and 32 cents in screws, I saved about $399.65 fixing it myself!

If anybody thinks they could use this part, I can send you the STL file for you to print or for you to find someone to print....or I could print it for you as well...just PM me.

This is the unit:

This is the design I came up with:

This is the rear of that unit with my part dry fitted:

My part installed...note the crack on the original unit. Cheaply made and in my opinion not worth $400!

Installed and clamped in place with my 3D printed design:
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose
15 REPLIES 15

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice job!
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG