cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel puller class A

racechaser
Explorer
Explorer
I currently looking at a 2006 Tiffin Allegro 37DB that says it has an upgraded front end diesel engine.Anyone have any experience with a class A diesel puller ?
2003 F-250 PSD with Hypertech Power Tuning
2010 Jayco Eagle
Twin Honda 2000's generators
9 REPLIES 9

Bill_Carry
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1994 Class A, P-30 with a 6.5 turbo diesel. Bought it new. About five years ago at around 175,000 miles we replaced the engine with an AMG P400 and rebuilt the transmission. Did this as 'preventative' measure to minimize the chances of a serious and expensive breakdown in the middle of nowhere (getting a bit old for major problems on the road). Now have 230,000 miles on the rig. Also rebuilt the front end a while back to correct some wandering, etc. Plan to keep this thing until either it dies or we do. We owned four class As prior to this with Dodge 440 and GM 454 engines. Those all got about 7.5 miles per gallon. The diesel gets 11.5 to 12 MPG. Some noise at idle and low speeds, but can't tell the difference at highway speeds. Would surely do this again, am very happy with the experience.
1994 Georgie Boy Swinger
6.5 TD Chevy P-30

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Factory option and Dale sums it up fairly well. Price what the same gas rig is going for and see if the price difference is worth it now... for most it was not in 2006-7. I'm a diesel fan but a FRED does not give you many of the advantages of a DP... air ride suspension, air brakes, and usually a better overall quality with greater towing capacity and greater CCC.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I was reading your other post as well, - are you saying this was originally a 37DB gasser and was converted to a diesel? or it was a factory option. The 37-QDB was diesel, but the prior 37DB I think was always gas.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Tiffin Open Road (FRED) coach was a nice set up but never really caught on. Tiffin dropped the model when they started their Red line of rear engine diesels around 2010 or so. The house side was pretty much the same as their gas powered models they offered but the diesel power train had a higher initial cost. The gain of the front diesel over gas is better fuel mileage and enough of an increase to make up for the fuel cost difference with gasoline. Towing was still limited to 5K Lbs. Great engine/transmission set up that will easily outlive the house side but the rest of the chassis was nearly identical with the gas chassis available at the time so the overall gain wasn't enough for most potential buyers to get past the initial increased cost.

If the coach you're looking at is priced right for the general sub-class and a test drive is satisfactory concerning performance and such associated with a front engine no real reason to walk away.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

racechaser
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you I will check it out.
2003 F-250 PSD with Hypertech Power Tuning
2010 Jayco Eagle
Twin Honda 2000's generators

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Neither of the 2 responses after are helpful in any way. Please visit the Tiffin Forum. Yes, a FR Engine Diesel is call FRED.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
aka: FRED ๐Ÿ™‚

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
The ugly has to be the fact that the engine is in front. If you must have a front engine then get a gasser.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to post the question to the ultimate Tiffin forum. No BS here, they will tell you exactly what you are considering and the good, bad and ugly (if there is any).
Tiffin forum
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?