cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel Puser Brakes

Twilite_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
We traded in our gasser for a larger diesel pusher. Hubby wanted one... He says that when he steps on the brakes that he really has to push hard to slow it down. Is this "normal" for a diesel pusher or is this a problem? He also says that because of this he doesn't think I should try to drive it. Thank for the help.
DH - George USA Retired
DW - Twila
Sydney The Wonder Dog - Miniature Australian Shepherd
2015 Solei 38R
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport
18 REPLIES 18

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
It may simply be perception. Your "larger" coach will take more distance to stop even with good brakes than your car. Laws of physics. It takes more distance to stop a 49,000 pound rig than a 4600 pound car....but, I think he just wants to have all the fun....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

aztortuga
Explorer
Explorer
Recommend that you have the brakes checked out to be sure that they are adjusted correctly. New from the factory mine were not, so it is a distinct possibility and one easily corrected. Air brakes "feel" different than hydraulic brakes but not enough to be any problem. If he feels the brakes are not adequate -- have them checked.

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
I will add that if I put my foot on the brake pedal like I used to on my old rv, it required a great deal of effort. Once I adjusted where my foot was on the brake pedal for braking, it requires much less effort or at least seems that way. It is different, but as others have said, if I stood on my brakes (good foot position or not) everything in back would very rapidly be everything if front! If in doubt, have it checked at a truck repair. Or have another rv owner test them for feel. Good luck!

Bruce_Brown
If I remember correctly - and I could be wrong, you need to break in your brakes. Go to an open parking lot and do a few hard stops. Don't be afraid to smell a little brake pad. This helps "break the glaze" and set your pads.

Try it, you have nothing to lose.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

JeepBus
Explorer
Explorer
yrusoslo wrote:
they might be out of adjustment

I agree. If the brakes are not adjusted correctly they will not be as effective. Get them checked as soon as you can. As others have said, if they are working correctly they will have no problems stopping your RV.
2004 Discovery 39L

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Twilite Lady,
You have a PM.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Twilite_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for all the info. He's in Ft Sill right now, due home this weekend. I'll have him read all your replies before we take off next week for TX. And he probably wants to do all the driving. Maybe he'll let me move it in the campground 😉
DH - George USA Retired
DW - Twila
Sydney The Wonder Dog - Miniature Australian Shepherd
2015 Solei 38R
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
If I stood on my brakes in the Horizon, my toad would be my new hood ornament.
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years 🙂

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Use your exhaust brake engine brake) to slow down. Use the brakes to stop. I drive our DP with no problem. Maybe he wants all the fun! LOL
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Give him time.
I think he is enjoying the ride so much he doesn't want to share....
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
On my rig, also Freightliner chassis, the air brakes were VERY effective. Stand on that pedal hard enough and all our stuff would wind up against the windshield.

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the local DMV office and pick up a CDL. book and read it especially the brake portion and you will be a much safer driver.

Do your brake check often.

Pogoil.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Ask DH how many OTR rigs have a lady driver. Many trucking companies now want to have team drivers that are husband and wife. I suggest he simply wants to do all the driving.

As others have said air brakes are different not harder to use. By the way even on a gasser with anti lock brakes you do not want to pump them. FTL chassis probably has anti lock brakes also. Our does.

Twilite Lady wrote:
We traded in our gasser for a larger diesel pusher. Hubby wanted one... He says that when he steps on the brakes that he really has to push hard to slow it down. Is this "normal" for a diesel pusher or is this a problem? He also says that because of this he doesn't think I should try to drive it. Thank for the help.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Not likely except it did happen to me. Had an oil leak on the driver side wheel bearing that lubricated the brake pad. Could stand on the brakes and it would hardly stop.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler