cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel Pusher Air Filter change

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering how to really know when to change an air filter on a CAT engine.

I have the vacuum gauge that is supposed to give you the info but how reliable are they?

The filter for my engine is a large canister that has to be changed out but its more awkward to do than hard.

I can remove the lower hose and visibly see it but that doesn't tell me anything!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992
13 REPLIES 13

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Be aware that the air filter minder registers TOTAL RESTRICTION IN THE AIR SYSTEM.

Also, totally agree, that if the filter is removed, it is ALWAYS thrown away, never cleaned. Way too easy to break a pleat and cause a dusted engine (read that $10-20k).

Hi Brett
I have a F550 service body that had engine failure (6.4L). Dealer sharpened a pencil to re engine @ $19,100. We did it internally but long block was still about $12K. I'm guessing any motorhome needing an engine might be $30,000 and up & I can't imagine that being a DIY job.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that the air filter minder registers TOTAL RESTRICTION IN THE AIR SYSTEM.

So, yes, it monitors the filter, but any other restriction also raises the restriction. A common example is that chassis makers ship the bare chassis with a long, flexible hose which the coach maker attaches to the side of the coach. I have seen a number of these where cutting out 4' of that flex hose helps with restriction but removing the large loop the air must travel through.

When you do install a new filter, the first time you stop after a couple of wide open throttle at high RPM (any gear-- does not need to be fast road speed), record the air filter minder reading. This is your baseline. If high, look at what (other than the filter) may be causing it.

I totally agree, that if you don't drive many miles, or in very dusty conditions and every three year change gives you trouble-free operation.

Also, totally agree, that if the filter is removed, it is ALWAYS thrown away, never cleaned. Way too easy to break a pleat and cause a dusted engine (read that $10-20k).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
larry cad wrote:
Several years ago, I realized my vacuum gage would show a clogged filter right after I would change the filter and put on a new one. I replaced the gage and got the same result. A couple of years ago I changed the filter and modified the intake to accept the next larger one. Gage hasn't acted up since. I suspect the factory specified the wrong one. BTW, I get slightly better fuel mileage since. Not much, but enough to make me happy I made the change.

We did the same thing. A smart guy we camped with suggested it, he was right. :B

🙂
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
After having an air filter collapse because it got wet on the freeway,poor placement of the air intake on my Tradewinds 7390, and had pieces of filter possibly get into the engine,I change it every 12-18 months, no matter what.
I can tell you from recent experience what a rebuilt Cat 3126B will cost you when it gets a dusted cylinder form several causes and one was the air filter.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
Like others, I trust the gauge, but go three years max even if the gauge still shows it's good.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Bruce_Brown
larry cad wrote:
Several years ago, I realized my vacuum gage would show a clogged filter right after I would change the filter and put on a new one. I replaced the gage and got the same result. A couple of years ago I changed the filter and modified the intake to accept the next larger one. Gage hasn't acted up since. I suspect the factory specified the wrong one. BTW, I get slightly better fuel mileage since. Not much, but enough to make me happy I made the change.

We did the same thing. A smart guy we camped with suggested it, he was right. :B
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
The absolute WORSE thing you can do to a diesel pusher air cleaner is to vacuum or blow it out with compressed air. You're taking a HUGE chance of moving the dust the filter captured to a place where it will be ingested and destroy your engine.

I give little or no value to the Air Minders. To me, they're totally useless. For the average guy doing 7500 miles a year, three years is a good change interval. We run between 10K - 15K a year and I change my filter every two years. My coach always performs well and I like keeping it that way. On one occasion, I bought two air cleaners because I got a good deal. This not a good idea, if you leave one setting for two years. Buy a fresh one when you're ready to change it out.

If yo own an expensive diesel pusher, don't cheapen out on maintenance.

I thought it obvious to first remove it before cleaning and not when it's really dirty and clogged and past due for replacement.
Can't say about the air minders and just thought they were a functional part of maintenance. Have one on the hydraulic fluid filter, as well and it hasn't moved off the green.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
The absolute WORSE thing you can do to a diesel pusher air cleaner is to vacuum or blow it out with compressed air. You're taking a HUGE chance of moving the dust the filter captured to a place where it will be ingested and destroy your engine.

I give little or no value to the Air Minders. To me, they're totally useless. For the average guy doing 7500 miles a year, three years is a good change interval. We run between 10K - 15K a year and I change my filter every two years. My coach always performs well and I like keeping it that way. On one occasion, I bought two air cleaners because I got a good deal. This not a good idea, if you leave one setting for two years. Buy a fresh one when you're ready to change it out.

If yo own an expensive diesel pusher, don't cheapen out on maintenance.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
I was wondering how to really know when to change an air filter on a CAT engine.

I have the vacuum gauge that is supposed to give you the info but how reliable are they?

The filter for my engine is a large canister that has to be changed out but its more awkward to do than hard.

I can remove the lower hose and visibly see it but that doesn't tell me anything!

Last time I saw mine, it looked like new, but have been on a very dusty road since then for quite a few miles. My plan is to just use a shop vac on it and maybe blow some air through it, as well.
Gauge still says it's good to go, so.....
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Air filters are replaced for TWO reasons:

1. Restriction, as indicated by air filter minder reading.

2. Age. Made of paper and resin, they deteriorate. Three years is a reasonable "safe life".

And, the air filter minder needs to be tested annually. Pull off the rubber hose that goes from intake to filter minder and suck on it. The filter minder should peg at max restriction and hold that reading until you push the release button. Truly a 1 minute operation.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I rely on the vacuum gauge.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi