cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential lube

captpar
Explorer
Explorer
How often do change the oil in your differential ? I am changing mine again tomorrow,but talking to truck owners at work,they say I'm wasting my money and time ,since they only change about once every 5 or six years . They said to just periodically check the level. What do you all do. I am changing it again tomorrow regardless. I talking about DPs
10 REPLIES 10

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pressure and shear, between the gears and bearing will wear out oil. Most have a lot, of sulfur, as a anti wear agent.
We had ours changed. last year, I think. It was dirty. I had started noticing, a little noise, from the differential.
It was at about 25,000 miles.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Changed mine at 50K for gas Ford RV's. It was horrible looking, which doesn't mean much but I'm glad I changed it anyway.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I buy a used vehicle, truck, car, motorcycle or MH, I change all fluids. When I bought the 2005 MH about two years ago I changed all of the fluids - antifreeze, leveler hydraulic oil, front hub oil, rear end and engine oils to include those in the generator. I like to know what's in there and that it's good. I'll probably never change the rear end oil again. The filters and belts got changed also.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
For motorhomes, Meritor Technical info shows change oil at 1 year or 50,000 miles for dino oil or Synthetic oil at a 3year interval - 250,000 miles... It also lists the approved oils, and some favorite brands are not included..
Meritor Rear Axle Lubrication
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
The post about synethic confuses me. Since there is nothing to cause the oil to break down as there is in the engine, I would think the only reason to change it would be shavings. Synethic wouldn't help with that.

I've owned a lot of vehicles for a lot of years and have never changed the diff fluid. I just ensure it's topped off if I notice a leak.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
sjholt wrote:
If you just have to change it- go synethic and then forget about it.

Yup. Costs a lot more but good for the life of the coach.

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
If you just have to change it- go synethic and then forget about it.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Check your owners manual under Maintenance Schedules!

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Check the level when you buy it. Check it again after about a month. Change it at about 100,000
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I think my manual says 100,000 miles.