cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty timing a 1995 Chevy 454ci

OutofTime
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm helping my brother clean up a 1995 Gulfstream Sunsport that is built on top of a 1994 Chevy P30 Chassis. It comes with a Chevy 454 big block v8. For the life of me I can't get the thing to fire off. I've verified spark, fuel and air. According to the directions on the air cleaner the timing should be set to 4 degrees BTDC on the number 1 wire. I've tried timing to that and I get nothing. I've read that if you use the timing marks at the 5 o'clock position, use cylinder number 5. Tried that too and nothing.

I made the assumption the harmonic balancer has slipped so I tried timing it the old fashioned way by pointing the dizzy at cylinder number 1 while it's on the compression stroke before reaching TDC. Nothing. I'm pretty sure my wire order on the dizzy is correct and that the spark plugs aren't fouled out.

Anyone have any advice?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OutofTime
Explorer III
Explorer III

Hello all.  It's been awhile but I can finally put to rest why this 454 ran so poorly.  My brother and I are currently doing an engine swap for his RV and we finally had the chance to pull the intake manifold... broken and bent pushrods everywhere.  A lifter was out of it's hole as well.  I'm not sure if a pushrod escaped due to bad lash, or a cam lobe wiped, or a valve got stuck but I think one rod got loose then started banging around damaging others.  I'm pretty impressed it was even starting on command.

The 454 we are putting in has no such issues so I think as long as I put everything back together correctly the engine issue should  finally be put to rest.  I am filming the process of engine removal and installation if anyone would be interested in that.

View solution in original post

129 REPLIES 129

OutofTime
Explorer III
Explorer III
udidwht wrote:
OutofTime wrote:
Updates

After much sweating and swearing the water pump is off. Next step will be to pull the timing cover and check for a jumped tooth and/or sloppy chain.

There is a cross member underneath that can be removed for easier access to front of engine. This is the cross member to remove...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/what-did-you-do-to-your-old-rv-today-133779-444.html#post5713099

Once out it gives this access...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/what-did-you-do-to-your-old-rv-today-133779-443.html#post5712066

I pulled that crossmember at the very beginning so I could get clear access to the 5pm timing marks. I've also had the lower shroud dropped. Now I have the upper shroud off as well. A decent amount of real estate to get the timing cover off.

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
OutofTime wrote:
Updates

After much sweating and swearing the water pump is off. Next step will be to pull the timing cover and check for a jumped tooth and/or sloppy chain.

There is a cross member underneath that can be removed for easier access to front of engine. This is the cross member to remove...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/what-did-you-do-to-your-old-rv-today-133779-444.html#post5713099

Once out it gives this access...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/what-did-you-do-to-your-old-rv-today-133779-443.html#post5712066
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

OutofTime
Explorer III
Explorer III
Updates

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
There is a plethora of TBI info on the following site: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forumdisplay.php?10-GM-EFI-Systems

Found the following regarding fuel regulator spring identification...

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?3145-TBI-Fuel-Pumps-Specifications-and-Regulator-Springs!
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
the popping noise could be a worn camshaft exhaust lube very common would have to remove valve covers and check lift

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
OutofTime wrote:
I can check on this today. I have checked for vacuum leaks and did replace a few rotted out lines. I've also redone all the gaskets on the tbi, including the base plate gasket.

I have had success finding vacuum leaks by using a handheld propane torch that is not lit ( no fire ) and running the propane along any possible leak areas, RPMs will increase at a vacuum leak.

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
OutofTime wrote:
Updates

Got the new injectors in and it is running better. Spray pattern looks better too.

Finally got down to checking the time under computer advance after setting it to 4 BTDC and I found today its advancing 20 degrees. I think that is why it's popping when under computer advance. Is 20 degrees normal at idle? A possible X factor would be that there really isn't much water in the cooling system at the moment so the ECT probably isn't reading as closely as it should.

After rebuilding the distributor on my 1994 P-30 chassis 454 TBI at idle with the wire connected it will idle at 16. Idle RPM 800.

I use a bluetooth ALDL phone app and the following...

http://www.1320electronics.com/12pin_ALDL_BT_MK2.html
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

OutofTime
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can check on this today. I have checked for vacuum leaks and did replace a few rotted out lines. I've also redone all the gaskets on the tbi, including the base plate gasket.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Does the timing return to 4 degrees when you disconnect the tan wire?
What RPM is the engine running at?
20 degrees sounds about right with tan wire connected.
I do not remember after 6 pages whether you checked for vacuum leak.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

OutofTime
Explorer III
Explorer III
Updates

Got the new injectors in and it is running better. Spray pattern looks better too.

Finally got down to checking the time under computer advance after setting it to 4 BTDC and I found today its advancing 20 degrees. I think that is why it's popping when under computer advance. Is 20 degrees normal at idle? A possible X factor would be that there really isn't much water in the cooling system at the moment so the ECT probably isn't reading as closely as it should.

OutofTime
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven't had the tooling to check yet. I think I have a fuel pressure gauge somewhere but I need to find it again. I wasn't thinking lean because of the black smoke belching out but with much of that getting cleaned up by the TPS reset, now I'm wondering... First thing to sort maybe this weekend is the cooling system so I can run the engine longer to do more testing.

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
What was the fuel pressure at?

94-95 years was 26-32psi (preferably higher than 26psi)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

OutofTime
Explorer III
Explorer III
Indeed. At one point I did have the timing at TDC and the popping went away so.... but the rev issue was still there. That was pre messing with the TPS.

I can try to set it to 0 TDC now that it will rev and see what happens. I hope this weekend I'll have time to at least pull the water pump, but with 30 year old rusty bolts, that's a tall order.

At this point I can keep plugging away at it and fix it bit by bit. This also informs well for me as my housing plans include purchasing an RV eventually so that I can remove my current house and place a new one while still living on the property. I hope I don't wind up purchasing something as old as a '95 but you never know what your budget may wind up being.

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
I commend you on two fronts. One, it is becoming a rarer breed to try to fix things as opposed to calling in the cavalry. And your labor of love of doing it for a relative takes that to a new level. Second, I commend you on the way you handle input on the interweb. Not everyone is open to input despite asking for it. Good job on both fronts.

Short of pulling the timing chain cover and looking at the marks, there is one quick thing you could do just for giggles. It is obvious that the engine is firing early before the intake valve closes. Would you be willing to time the distributor (with the ECM connector removed) to the big indent in the timing marks instead of the mark you read to be 4? I don’t think that will make that much difference, but it’s worth a data point to see what happens when you reduce the advance on the initial timing. I have seen some reference material that indicates the big notch is the one to use. Keeping in mind your engine and the engine in the reference sources may be slightly different. If it does reduce the popping and allows the engine to rev more freely then you will at least know you are moving in the right direction.

I understand about the parts cannon logic, my perspective was to reduce the confounding factors in the problem solving.

Yeah, that’s a bit far for a play date, since we leave in 2 weeks for a 6 month trip to Alaska. Better stay here and focus on HER list to keep the peace.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

OutofTime
Explorer III
Explorer III
So after messing with the TPS, it will rev with advance connected. Still pops and such, but it will now rev.

Let also expand on what I mean by a slipped balancer. I have a '94 Mazda B3000 that when I first brought it back to life I could not get it to start when I set the balancer to 10 BTDC, which is Ford spec for a Vulcan 3.0 engine. Made sure I was on compression stroke, etc. When I finally timed it manually by putting something in the number 1 cylinder and checking tdc, then pointing the button at tower 1 on the hat, it ran. Once running I put a timing light on it and saw the balancer marks were not lining up.

What happened is the glue that holds the rubber ring of the balancer to the metal core had given up so the rubber ring was beginning to slid somewhat around the core. That is what I mean by "slipped". Failure in that way would not shear the woodruff key in the metal core of the balancer.

As to the timing marks next to the balancer, they are intact enough that I can read the numbers, so I am timing to the correct 4 mark. 4 is listed twice, but the BTDC marks are more numerous than ATDC so I've got the right one. It's the last peak before the big groove that is TDC.

I agree timing still could have jumped a tooth at the chain due to age and slop and that does need to be looked at. That will probably happen when I service the water pump since I'll have access at that time.

I also agree that I need to pop the valve covers and make sure I don't have a tight/loose valve(s) that are causing issues

Progress is being made. After getting it timed again at 4 BTDC and then doing some testing, I'm pretty sure the balancer has NOT slipped and that something else is causing the running issues. The PO mentioned he replaced the fuel pump. It very well could be he put the wrong one in. He wasn't very mechanically inclined and could have put a lower flow pump in that doesn't match up with the increased psi that is required for the 1994-1995 TBI setups. I need to check fuel pressures to verify that. If it's really been running lean all this time with a dodgy TPS it could have caused the issues I've seen.

I have a vacuum gauge on the way that should tell me quite a bit about the engine's health now that I have the engine running consistently

As far as loading the parts cannon goes, I have. This RV is not for me and will be a home for a relative for what I think will be a very long time given the relative's situation. For that reason I am more comfortable to load the cannon and go ahead and replace the 30 year old parts with OEM new parts as needed to make sure the service life of this engine will continue on for quite some time. If this was a project vehicle of mine I would be quite a bit more stingy.

You raise some excellent points, and I most certainly don't take offense. This engine platform is new to me, which is why I wound up posting here to tap the brain trust so I can learn more.

As to your offer of a consult, that would be a road trip for you I think. I'm south of the Capital and I see that Inverness is a bit north of Tampa. I'm totally open to a video call of some sort to swap knowledge though.