supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I have

TV flat screen
Receiver/surround sound box
Blue Ray
Direct TV receiver
Switch/selector box (for selecting cable, sat, ant etc)

Everything is up and running using the Sat dish, which is a Traveler HD Sat Dish. The surround sound works.
I have a coax from the sat dish going thru a SWM direct tv convertor, then out to the direct tv receiver. HDMI cable out from the Direct TV Receiver box down to the surround sound box. HDMI cable out from the blue ray to the surround sound box..........and an HDMI cable out from the reciever to the TV........this all works.
My problem is........I've by passed my selector box, I need to figure out how to get a sat signal from the Direct TV Receiver box to the selector box.
The selector box already has a coax from the rear bedroom TV. down from the roof antenna, and from the shore power cable. so it's all wired properly, just no sat signal to it.
Seems like I need to run a cable from the direct tv receiver box to the selector box.....trouble is, there's no coax out on the sat receiver..........confused??? I know I am. Thanks
Brian
13 REPLIES 13

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP has a SWM dish, hence single coax. A splitter can be used to connect multiple receivers.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dennyR
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't the Traveler dish have multiple outputs. I think mine had 4 and we used two. Each TV has its own input.
2000 Newmar Dutchstar DP
2004 Road King
1994 Jeep Wrangler

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not to worry, wa8yxm, he's all set with the system up and running.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do agree Bill knows his business... What outputs do you have on the SAT receiver.

HDMI You need a modulator, cost is a bit steep (IE: 100+)
A/V (red/white/yellow) You need a modulator, cost is closer to 25

You can get modulators at most better TV stores including Best Buy and Radio Shack but you may have problems finding an HDMI type

Coax connector marked TO-TV,, modulator is built into receiver and all you need do is hook it up,, alas, these are becomming hen's teeth (Hard to find, hens' do not have teeth).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry I was late getting back to you on you question. What some might not understand it that some of the Winegard Video Control centers had input connections available for the various coax connections plus the red/white/yellow connection for something like a DVD and it has it's own built-in RF modulator. You just select the output channel (3 or 4) and power it on and it works great. Glad you took a look and found the easiest option.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info, got it all up and running. Ran RCA cable the red, white, yellow from the Direct TV receiver over to the the selector box. TV in the bedroom works great. Thanks again.
Brian

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my case there is an annoying audio delay between the receiver HDMI and composite/modulator/coax outputs for 2 TVs. Since the sound for both TVs can be heard this isn't the best option but the delay is not the same for all receivers.

I'm considering a HDMI splitter, HDMI to composite cable and modulator/coax to second TV. Another option is to run a long HDMI cable to the second TV. From what I've read a powered HDMI splitter will be required.

Or use a splitter from the dish and a second receiver for the rear TV.

The only other option is for a wireless Genie setup for a SWM setup.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to do the same as super cub, the Direct TV receiver has no co-axe cable (RG) out put to hook to the multiswitching unit. (wine guard entertainment select) We must update the whole system to new digital TVs and HDMI cables. using a King carry out and a flex unit and Receiver on each TV. and eliminate the old co-axe cables and switching unit.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
supercub.....Once you go to HDMI, you can pretty much junk the Winegard selector box.

I did what Bill stated, but maybe I can explain it differently. Your DirecTv box has two outputs. They really don't want you watching more than one TV with it, but you can.

The HDMI connection goes to your main TV. The RCA plugs (red & white = audio and yellow = video) on the rear of the DirecTV box can be used at the same tome as the HDMI cable on the front TV. Radio Shack and probably Best Buy sell an RF Modulator that takes those red, white and yellow RCA jacks and converts them to coax cable. The modulator requires 110 volts to operate it...just plug it in.

Disconnect the rear TV coax from the WInegard switchbox and connect it to the RF modulator. You can now watch both TV's at the same time, but they'll have to be the same show.

The front TV with the HDMI cable will be in High Def. The rear TV will be in Standard Def, but will have a good picture.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I was just thinking, which can be dangerous in my situation. I have red yellow white RCA connections on the selector box and the Direct TV Receiver box. If I connect these two boxes via the RCA connections (red, white, Yellow) will this work? Thanks
Brian

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Dave at Sats2Go in Houston TX set ours up. I'll try to explain what he said he did: In the front, he installed a "splitter" aka diplexer with a cable to the selector box. In the back by the TV he installed another "splitter" aka diplexer. To access cable or satellite I use the "input" button on the DirecTV remote. You need to make sure the diplexer types carry power. If you are ever in the Houston area, call Dave at Sats2Go. He's the RV satellite "guru" His work is fast, professional and fair priced.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Bill knows what he is talking about.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go out and grab an RF Modulator. This will allow you to use the receivers red/white/yellow output (Composite) and convert it to coax output. They cost less than $40 and you will be able to feed this to your selector box. This output will be in SD and not HD but that's your only option unless you want to add HD wiring (new HDMI cabling) or a wireless HDMI transmitter.