cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct TV Winnegard power inserter

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had winnegard sat dishes on my last three coaches. All had multiple LNB's. My new Winnegard has a single but larger lnb. When I hooked it up I could not get a signal because I needed to plug in a power inserter. From what I read the dish needs more power but I am not sure what type of power inserter I need or how to connect it. Anybody dealt with this new winnegard?
12 REPLIES 12

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I seemed to recall that the Trav'ler WILL find the satellites even without the PI installed. IIRC, the mount powers the LNB during the search routine and then switches over to the PI once the search is completed.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And you may need to change other settings for the TV.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Traveler SWM Set Up

In your Direct TV Set Up menu, you will have an option for a SWM dish. If your receiver was previously set up for an older, non SWM dish, you need to change the set up.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for confirming that. I am going to review it al today and remove the face plate to see what is back there. One last question. I am using a receiver that worked on my last traveler with the settings for that triple lnb. Is it possible I need to change anything in my setting to make the connection with this new single lnb Traveler? With respect to Camping World-I think you are right in this case. In the past they had a great guy who did TV stuff and he was the best around. Unfortunately he moved to California so it so depends on which tech you get which I guess is true with many things. When I do some of this myself I do feel more comfortable with what I learn and this forum is absolutely the best with so many helpful smart people.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like Winnebago mounted the power inserter and the splitter behind a panel (I would want to know where they are and how to reach them for future reference).

I would call Winnebago and ask them which of those connections are from the splitter since those feed your receivers. From my experience I would not trust anyone at Camping World to figure it out.

If the power inserter was not connected, your dish would not find the birds and you would get a message on the Traveler control box 'No LNB voltage' since, as noted, the inserter sends voltage to the LNB.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the explanation. So I think I have one behind the paneling in the compartment. I need to figure out where it is attached in terms of the baseplates. On one baseplate I have two outlets called satellite antenna and two called satellite dish. Generally people don't seem to distinguish between the two. I think I will hook to anything that says dish first and go from there. My matrix seems to be working so the connection to TV's is good. The dish seems to have found the sats. I show no satellites acquired on my receiver so it must be the connection from wherever the power inserter is attached. It would appear the tech didn't hook to the proper outlet.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can't address how your rig is wired/setup but the basics may help. SWM receivers do not supply DC to the LNBs, instead the power inserter supplies the power.

So the basic SWM connections: The single dish coax cable goes to the dish controller (if so equipped) input. The dish controller coax output goes to the power inserter dish input. The other power inserter coax goes to the SWM splitter. The other splitter coax connections connect to the receivers (or if DTV Genie the reciever and the Genie Clients). No splitter required for one receiver.

There can be a lot of variations in rigs. The power inserter supplies DC upstream to the LNBs and sends the sat signals downstream.

So you must have a power inserter and it connects/plugs into AC.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. It is new and came from the factory installed. I did the walk through today. Very unsatisfactory. Lucky I have had a bunch of motorhomes and new what I was looking for. I brought a receiver so we could hook up the receiver and verify that the satellite worked. We were inside when we started so I asked that they hook up the receiver and show me how they do it as this has the matrix and my others did not. Jus a simple switch. So they got a tech who made some coax cables and attached them to the outputs at the back of the cabinet next to the output for portable dish. There are four possible male ends in that wall plate. In front of it there is another wall plate with two more connections. The tech was having trouble getting a signal on the front TV but the bedroom worked and the receiver menu was visible. (still inside so no sat signal). He finally concluded the matrix box was bad and ordered a replacement. I thought he was confused so when I got home I first ran the dish up and successfully located all three satellites. I am in a good clear shot. I then tried a couple of the other hdmi cables and found one that worked on the front and rear tv. Still menus. I then checked signal and the screen showed neither tuner with satellite acquired. I then ran a test and it said plug in power inserter. Every plug I could find was plugged in. Two came from behind the panel. One is for the satellite controller. The other is something else. Perhaps the power inserter. Is the power inserter perhaps connected behind the panel to the face plate? I have so many options-6 where it is marked in from satellite antenna. Two face plates. Winnebago 38Q 2016. Maybe some knows which might be the proper connect. I am hoping to connect two receivers so I will have one for the bedroom. I am very confused as I thought I knew how these things worked and now I have this power inserter message. I guessed without power it would not find the satellite.Now I am thinking it found them but lacks the power to send it to my receiver. Ok, I will stop with exposing my ignorance. Thanks for your help. It was pretty bad at camping world today and I like them and have had some good work. I am keeping it for a week to play with it and then it goes back to get a few add ons and the Sat working if I haven't done so before then. By the way, I love the coach.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Bill. OP said 'new' Traveler so it should have come with a control box, power inserter (black gizmo), splitter, coax and control cable. Plus IIRC (not in coach now) there is a small power supply for the control box.

Did you self install or was it done by someone else?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this is a Winegard Trav'ler SK-SWM3 then it came with the correct power inserter and it just needs to be plugged in. We need details!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
What dish? SK-SWM? then,yes, you need a power supply. You can buy them on Ebay, Amazon, or any number of online retailers. Model P121R1-03

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's Winegard, and you can find a PI on ebay, amazon.. etc.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman