cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you carry a spare tire for your Class C?

Camping_Woody
Explorer
Explorer
I carry an 8 ton hydraulic jack and a large 4-way lug wrench with me. However, does everyone carry a spare tire? I have found many new ones don't come with one.

My new MH does not have one coming with it and there is no provision for mounting it under chassis. We don't like how the bumper mount would look, so we aren't going that route.

I can jack it up, but without a spare, I'm just waiting for the road service vehicle and they carry their own I assume. One the other hand, I have never had a flat tire on any RV I've owned.

Input/thoughts?
27 REPLIES 27

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
OldRadios wrote:
Ditto. Have same rig and spare location. Not at the mercy of tow service prices if I get a flat. Also added a compressor.

That's a great compressor you're carrying along ... obviously a 120V AC one so it has plenty of power and capacity to air up your RV's tires. We pack along a full 120V AC power compressor too - only it's a tankless one so it's smaller and lighter.

I assume you can power the compressor along the side of the road using your built-in generator?

Yes, If we're not plugged in I just run the generator. At 150 PSI and the six gallon tank it only takes a couple of minutes to fill a tire or to go through all of them. Had a 12 volt for my old B and that took what seemed like forever to just check and top four tires off.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
OldRadios wrote:
Ditto. Have same rig and spare location. Not at the mercy of tow service prices if I get a flat. Also added a compressor.

That's a great compressor you're carrying along ... obviously a 120V AC one so it has plenty of power and capacity to air up your RV's tires. We pack along a full 120V AC power compressor too - only it's a tankless one so it's smaller and lighter.

I assume you can power the compressor along the side of the road using your built-in generator?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Rovin__Bones
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my Class C used. It came with a 20 ton bottle jack, 4-way tire iron, and a spare tire on a bumper mount. When I had new tires installed, I also included the spare. I will not do without a spare under any circumstance.
1983 24' Midas Freeport. Chevy 350 mated to a TH400 transmission on a GM G30 chassis and a spiffy Onan 4kw genset.

!*NEW Blog page*!
Rovin' Bones

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
If you have road service the other option is to just carry an unmounted tire so you're not forced to buy one at a premium price when they come to change it. Won't take up any less space though, just less weight.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tho I've never had a flat on our RVs over the many years, the '00 Ford/Four Winds had a spare. I ensured it was properly inflated when I'd do tire checks.
As the E450 lugs should be torqued to 145 ft/lbs, I carried an inexpensive torque wrench, extensions and a deep well socket. Though you are _not supposed_ to use a torque wrench for general ratchet work, this was the only application for this wrench.
I also carry a 12 ton bottle jack, a small compressor & a tire plug kit if I get a nail or screw - anything that can be repaired, I'll do it on the road and be on our way.

The new '16 Chevy/Sunseeker does not have a spare. I've fretted over this issue, yet haven't done anything about it. We have a trip coming up to Glacier & Wyoming this summer, so I should get a spare & build a storage rack for it.
As the unit is 24' long, there's little available storage space, so the only logical locations are the hitch mount (easiest) or build a storage rack behind the fuel tank.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
The rear bumper may not be the best choice,although some RVs have them.
Mine is mounted inside my large rear storage compartment,bolted to a frame that is welded to the frame rails.

2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
My RV came with a spare and a jack. I have added metal valve extenders for each of the two configurations the spare might be used on the back axel, a breaker bar and a torque wrench. I do have a call for help plan (Coach Net) but like having everything I need. Just in case. I am thinking about putting the spare on the front to free up some room.
John
26.5' LD MB on a E450

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't drive off without a spare. Our MH came with a bumper mounted spare. It interfered with our 4 bike hitch mounted bike rack, so I moved the spare under the queen bed.

We have AAA roadside assistance. They will cover mounting my spare onto the MH. They won't cover mounting a tire onto a wheel and then mounting it onto the MH. So we always have a mounted spare.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do have a spare but now that we have been talking about them I have no idea if I have a jack, I will have to look into this. I do have roadside assistance and as long as I am off the road I would be okay with waiting awhile as I do have everything with me that I need. I would not starve and I have a bathroom so not a huge problem.

I know many guys that carry the liquid tire repair to inject into tires. I always thought this was a bad idea but a lot of expedition people have started to carry a can or two with them. I am thinking of doing this but have not convinced myself yet.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Yes,

Kind of like a seat-belt, ya hope that you never need it, but you're glad to have it if you do. We had the dealer add it in for free as part of the deal. He also gave us the spare tier carrier as part of the deal.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/spare_tire/index.html

I'd never try and change it myself, but we have AAA Plus RV, and I'll let them take care of it.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Camping_Woody
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
You can get more leverage using a 24" (or longer) breaker bar. Just be sure to have the proper size socket and any extension or adapter that might be needed.

I left out that I also carry a 24 inch breaker bar, deep well socket, and a truck tire-capable compressor. I also carry a can of penetrating oil for those stubborn buts.

We have always been very self-sufficient, but this no-spare situation feels like a departure from our normal comfort zone.

It's not one dealer or brand, either. Most don't have one included. I just heard back that I can get one and the mount for $750 installed. Wow.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Camping Woody wrote:
I carry an 8 ton hydraulic jack and a large 4-way lug wrench with me.

You can get more leverage using a 24" (or longer) breaker bar. Just be sure to have the proper size socket and any extension or adapter that might be needed.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our E450 Class C came with a spare mounted up underneath in the rear ... the same place as where most pickup trucks carry it. I can't imagine having any vehicle without a spare along and to me it's really strange - and unacceptable - that a new Class C motorhome would be sold without one.

In addition to a spare, a jack, wood blocks for the jack to rest on, and a large lug wench ... we also carry along a compressor capable of inflating full size truck tires, a couple of tire inflation canisters, and a commercial grade kit for repairing puncture tire holes without having to remove the tire from the rim.

We travel in the Western U.S. in places where there is no cell service. It's not our style to travel assuming being always able to reach road service, however if we could reach our road service we would probably use it - especially for flats in the rear duals.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
We always carry a spare. On our Alaska trip we broke a steel band on a rear inside tire...went bald on one side. Found that out on Labor Day Weekend while staying at Talkeetna. Put on the spare and went looking for a replacement after the holiday. Finally found one at a Costco in Anchorage.

We feel a lot more secure knowing that we can be mostly self sufficient when traveling.