cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you carry a spare tire for your Class C?

Camping_Woody
Explorer
Explorer
I carry an 8 ton hydraulic jack and a large 4-way lug wrench with me. However, does everyone carry a spare tire? I have found many new ones don't come with one.

My new MH does not have one coming with it and there is no provision for mounting it under chassis. We don't like how the bumper mount would look, so we aren't going that route.

I can jack it up, but without a spare, I'm just waiting for the road service vehicle and they carry their own I assume. One the other hand, I have never had a flat tire on any RV I've owned.

Input/thoughts?
27 REPLIES 27

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I found out while shopping for a Class C most dealers are ordering them without a spare tire. Some dealers will lie and tell you the RV manufacturers don't offer them, but that's bull. The Class C I purchased did have a spare from factory. I don't carry a jack since I plan on using roadside assistance in the event I get a flat.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Travelin2 wrote:
Self sufficiency is a must.

There Ya Go!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

shawdowboss
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 6 ton jack, lug wrench and spare tire (rubber only). With the 19.5 truck tires and high torque required on the lugs, I'll wait for a truck service. With the spare rubber, they can field remount if needed. The wheels run with balancing sand, so balancing isn't required.

I have a custom tire mount on my bumper. That securly holds the tire.

The rubber only saves a lot of lbs on the steel rim and easier to handle. I also dont care if the tire guy has a tire or not. It'll get me down the road to a place to buy new tire(s).
2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a spare, and include it with tire rotations, though it's typically the oldest tire. My experience is that roadside is a provider, not a tire shop. They would have to pick one up, adding time, and complexity if its late, and would likely include their markup. If I buy it myself, I get fresh stock and a good price, and budget for it as well.

We carry a small bottle Jack and lug wrenches but have made good use of roadside. Also the lug tool for the simulator/ cover with chocks, gas can, air compressor, flares, flashing lights, and a reflective triangle.

The tire sits under the rear of the coach, but I'm wondering if I should lock it...
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
Self sufficiency is a must.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder what your OCCC is? Did your RV manufacturer not provide one to save some weight? We carry a spare.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I carry have carried a spare wheel since 2008 and never used it. I bought a new one with the last set of new tires. I did practise putting it on the front but have never tested myself changing a rear one. We often travel and camp in remote areas.

The spare has been mounted on the bumper. When I got a hitch installed I asked for it to be welded to the bumper to increase the support for the spare.

I've needed a spare on other vehicles a few times in my life, most notably while driving to Yellowknife. Twice had a blowout on our popup. The second time both wheels were dead (at Lake Louise), resulting in a trip to Calgary and back with new wheels. The simultaneous failures were probably due to a tire shop selling me tires with insufficient weight rating.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The rear bumper may not be the best choice,although some RVs have them.
Mine is mounted inside my large rear storage compartment,bolted to a frame that is welded to the frame rails.

Another way to go is mounting the spare using the receiver.

Here are some examples

Or you can mount it underneath

Like Baja Man did
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absolutely. For me a spare is a must!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 RV did not come with a spare. I went through the hassle of finding the correct wheel rim and tire, had it mounted, and store it in my exterior storage bay. I just don't want to deal with what would ensue if I called for roadside assistance without one.
Does every RV roadside assistance service provider come prepared to remove the old tire from the rim and remount a new tire? How can they be prepared with the correct tire? I know whatever they do it ends up costing a bundle.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if you have a roof rack, buy a spare tire no rim, have a vinyl bag made for it, and your good, most times it takes a lot of muscle to get the nuts off. let a pro do it, and most places won,t have a tire ready to go. if they do it,ll cost a bunch.

Camping_Woody
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have access to look right now, but it is a 2017 Ford E-450 chassis.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is your tire size a common one? (mine is 16.5 so is hard to find in stock). If it is, then not having a spare isn't as important.

However, having the jack and lug wrench is always a good idea. The jack can be used for other problems, and you might have to remove the tire to access the brakes, etc.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)