cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you leave plugged into shore power...?

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
I read recently that one should not leave the MH plugged in when not in use. We're on our 5th MH and have always left them plugged in when not in use. If, for no other reason, to keep batteries charged. What do you do?
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
24 REPLIES 24

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
"I read recently that one should not leave the MH plugged in when not in use"

Where did you read this?
What are their credentials?
What were their reasons?

I read it in in one of the Winnebago Operator's Manuals. Credentials ?? Their reason ??. My opinion: They made that statement likely as directed by the company legal firm. Someone above mentioned possibility of fire (mice etc.) The lawyers were likely aware of such possibilities and wanted to reduce potential damage (to Winnebago).

My RV has been plugged in since 2006 when purchased NEW
CG AC Power, Generator or at my RV Pad at S&B
Hasn't been an issue in 13 yrs
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Our's is plugged in all the time at home, we check battery water and condition Quarterly.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Safari that has been plugged in 7/24, 365 since I took delivery in 2003. Never a problem. I check the batteries every2/3 weeks.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I read recently that one should not leave the MH plugged in when not in use"

Where did you read this?
What are their credentials?
What were their reasons?

My RV has been plugged in since 2006 when purchased NEW
CG AC Power, Generator or at my RV Pad at S&B
Hasn't been an issue in 13 yrs
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
dalenoel wrote:
Keep it plugged in but check batteries monthly

As long as you're not boiling all the water out of your batteries, leaving it plugged in will not harm it.
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Always plugged in at home when parked. Keeps house batteries charged and powers the separate charger used for my chassis batteries. Been doing it for decades without any issues. In Florida you never know when a storm will threaten and you have to leave or use the coach when/if the power fails.

This is how my MH sits while not in use - and I fill the gas tank at the end of every trip - don't know when the urge may strike and I'm ready whenever that happens. Worst case would be we have a power outage and need the generator to get by.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of things could theoretically go wrong when plugged in. Fire due to mice chewing on something, breaker trips and your batteries die cause you thought it was plugged in. overcharging batteries and damaging them. Probably more things too.

But as long as you have a smart charger, it's relatively safe to do.

I leave the motorhome plugged in 24/7 when it's home, but not plugged when in storage (since there's no power there). I've flatlined my batteries with inattention while in storage, never hurt them when plugged in at home.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Leave it plugged in. The issue that I have heard/read is that non-smart Converters might overcharge the battery. Ours is smart.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Always plugged in at home when parked. Keeps house batteries charged and powers the separate charger used for my chassis batteries. Been doing it for decades without any issues. In Florida you never know when a storm will threaten and you have to leave or use the coach when/if the power fails.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I leave our 96 Southwind plugged in 24/7 when it's parked in the yard.
I don't know of a reason to not leave it on shore power.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep it plugged in but check batteries monthly
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi