cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you let any maintenance items go longer than recommended?

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
Another post got me thinking about the annual maintenance we do on our RV's. And I am wondering what, if anything, you may let go longer than the suggested maintenance intervals? How long have you done it this way? Any downside to your experience?

My tires are passed due, but waiting on Michelins to replace the Toyos and not driving it much or very far until then. I have changed my oil a little longer than a single season as well. I do everything myself so it usually gets done, but I may have that type personality and wanted to hear from others.
14 REPLIES 14

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I certainly plan on doing this on schedule. But to answer, I try to keep it all up. Oil change yearly, generator service, run generator when not used monthly. Check all fluids and oils regularly. Tires aired before every trip. Keep tires covered and 303 protectant. Keep rig clean. Paint rusted areas. Batteries topped off and tested frequently.

Other than that it isn't bad to keep recommended things up. Batteries in two more years,
Tires at around 6 years. Pay it now or pay it later. I have a peace of mind when traveling I'm ahead of the what's next curve.

I enjoy doing it

http://i.imgur.com/lKHHBir.jpg

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
In answer to the question. NO!!!!
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to do everything when I am supposed to. I went to Camp Freightliner and created a spreadsheet with the maintenance items.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm letting all the "Vehical" stuff go for now.. Engine did half an oil change then threw a rod so.......
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
Great answers so far!

I am going back to Michelin 16 ply tires on our RV, which is what it came with originally, I believe. We have had Michelins on wife's car, daughter's car, former camper truck, and former class c. They did replace one complete set due to cracking, which was nice. It is a very good product and they have not let us down. Don't get me wrong, the Toyos have been fine, but not what I would have put on, but the prior owner chose. I am not rich in money, but wealthy in family and for me, it will continue to be Michelins. I think tires can bring out passion in people, as they do in me. I begrudge nobody if they choose another brand, but I will choose to pay a little more because I think they are worth it.

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been taking care of machinery since I was eleven years old. Most of that time was for money. As a ship's engineer one gets to see the price of poor maintenance very first hand.

So, I still tend to over maintain things. Our current cars have 188 and over 200K on them (I am unsure of the later because the odometer broke and I had to track mileage with a GPS that failed at something over 200 - then I found a good speedo in a wreck).

I have two different garden tractors by the same manufacturer and one is 58 and the other is only 50 years old. (Hours on each? I have no clue.)

Our coach is a 73 with over 150K on it and we will soon be departing on a 3K miles excursion. I try very hard to over grease the suspension as even the 9$ a tube grease is cheaper than any parts.

Just try to balance the cost of maintenance with the cost of any repair. Even if you will do the work, it is still a sucker bet.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I really try to do my maintenance on schedule but sometimes go over when I'm on the road. I do change oil when I know my coach is going to sit for awhile. My Workhorse manual says I should change oil and filter once a year / or every 7,500 miles whatever comes first. I'm a retired truckdriver and our shop changed oil in the diesel engines (which ran hard everyday) once every 20 thousand miles and the oil filters every 10 thousand miles. The trucks that had CAT diesel engines our shop ran those engines over full by one gallon by recommendation from NC Machinery.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not really sure what my intervals are. I'm new to motor homes and have a 1997 winny. I think annual oil change on motor and genny will be sufficient. I've done belts, tranny fluid, and guessing it may be 10 years before I have to do that again. I did the brake fluid and that really helped stopping power. May do that every few years just to over do it. I won't let a tire get over 7 years again. Blew one on a trip and what a pain. The only thing left is coolant and hoses and I think I'm just gonna go by appearance rather than schedule. I know on diesels you can have coolant tested to see life... Idk may check on that. Otherwise I have no idea what else needs done.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I pretty much do everything on schedule. Perform all my own maintenance and enjoy doing it. Fluids like brake and coolant get changed every 5 years, engine oil annually, transmission and rear end on mileage. Belts and hoses as needed. I stay on schedule and have had good results doing so. Been doing this with all our vehicles, boats and motorcycles. Haven't had a engine, transmission or axle failure yet so it must work.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't wash/wax our Southwind as often as I should.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Usually I keep current on oil and transmission fluid/filters.

I'm curious why you are switching from Toyo tires to Michelian tires.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Robertbenita, I follow the maintenance pretty much to the letter. I just had our chassis lubed that is recommended every 6,000 miles.

On our previous coach, I had the oil changed every 10,000 miles because it was recommended that the chassis be lubed every 5,000 miles. That schedule made it easier to remember, I knew every 5,000 miles, something needed servicing.

Serpentine belt was done at 50,000 miles.

Front wheel bearings were done every 30,000 miles.... so, in the 69,700 miles that we drove that coach, it was done twice. Tires at 7 yrs. Batteries when needed (3 yrs. on chassis, 6 yrs. on house)... that's the way it worked for us.

I am a 'over maintainer'..... do it on my cars too.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
To answer the question in the subject box...yes, but not if they are warranty issues and keep the warranty alive.
2014 American Eagle

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oil every 15K not each year. Wheel bearings every decade. Generator when I need power. Tires 7-10 years on MH. Two year old used tires for my many trailers.
So YES there are a lot of things but only been doing it for five decades. Time will tell if I'm making a mistake.
PS: I crank my Diesel engines when I need them, not before.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...