cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing dumb things..

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever done something really dumb, not just once but twice. I went to storage and picked up my Tradewinds this afternoon (haven't used it for about 3 months because we've been moving) Had a difficult time getting the Gen. to start then when I got it home and parked in front of the house I hit the dump switch, nothing happened. The jack switch wouldn't even light up. I tried everything. Called my mobile repairman, he didn't work on things like that. I just knew mice or rats had gotten into my wiring. I called Coach Net and a repairman said he'd be there in about half hour so I decided to take it to the parking lot at the park we live in, more room to work on it. I started to release the parking brake......guess what, I had forgot to set it. Called the repairman, told him I had solved the problem, then called Coach-Net and cancelled call. Of course I'm the only one who does dumb things like that. First time I did it was about 7 years ago. Aint gonna do it again, I hope !! :S
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
28 REPLIES 28

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I don't feel so bad after all. Just came back from a four day outing and everything went well. Maybe I've done my quota over the years.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
As long as nobody gets hurt and you can still laugh it's all good. 4 me to recite all my stupid pet tricks ..the Internet is not big enough!
Jw
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
The other day as we were getting ready to leave the camp where we originally parked in the wrong site, another MH, about a 25' NEW classC drove down the street in front of us toward the trash bins. His patio awning was completely extended! We ran after him and were glad he made the trash stop because if he can turned the loop, he would have ripped the awning at the spot where the road ran between 2 trees. When we told him his awning was out, he looked pretty hard at his coach before he realized something was amiss. Maybe he was a newbie. It finally settled in and he thanked us for keeping him from making a costly mistake.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not going to read this topic as there is nothing I can learn from it. I have already done every dumb thing invented by man.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Bucky several years ago I won a EGT set up for my race car after relating that on DRR. We had stopped for fuel on the way and I was getting excellent fuel mileage...wonder why? Trust me IT HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!

That must have been where I read it!:B
1999 Harney Renegade
Mostly used for overnights at the drag strip.

donhoward49
Explorer
Explorer
Just last week I started to leave the storage lot and still had the tire covers on.. No damage, but I looked foolish as a neighbor pointed for me to stop.. I guess if I get back into the habit of checking air each time that will not happen again.

PortWentworthSa
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer we were returning to Georgia from Virginia on I-95. We pulled into a T/A to get some rest (middle of night) before going any further. After a couple of hours we woke and I began to drive down I-95.

I have four outside camera's with night vision. Front, rear, left and right. As I was doing down the interstate I glanced at the monitor and saw the center stripes on the highway passing by on the screen. I yelled "OH SH*T" and hit the brakes as a reaction. Pulled to the emergency lane. The DW was screaming "What's wrong". I got the coach stopped and put my head down on the steering wheel. The wife was yelling at me to tell her what happend. I raised my head and told her to look at the camera monitor. I told her "WE LOST THE TOAD SOMEWHERE".

In a panic she jumped out of her seat and exited the coach. I'm disabled so it took time for me to get out of the rig. Before I got the door she yelled "YOU DUMB ASS, IT'S STILL BACK HERE". I told her it couldn't be that the camera is focused on the toad and it's not on the monitor screen.

Well, I obviously hit the button on the monitor when I climbed behind the wheel. I changed which camera was to show on the monitor. The front camera was on instead of the rear one. It's mounted in the center of the grill and with it being the middle of the night using the night vision function it looks exatly like the rear camera.

The DW drove the rest of the way home. What a quiet ride that was.

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of months ago,I had to take the MH in for some work.I Pulled the wheel covers off,pulled the slides in,disconnected the water and got a phone call. Finished the call,climbed in the MH,pulled out from the pad and felt a slight hesitation. OOppsss !!!! Got out and found that I had pulled the plug right off the 50 Amp cord and the only thing that saved the Surgegard was the fact that it was plugged in in the garage and the door was closed. I got the rig in for the repair and while they were working on it,I repaired the plug. Two days later,I was headed to Portland solo and did the same durn thing. Waited till I got to Portland and hit CW in Wilsonville for a new plug and installed it at the cg. There is now a sign that goes on the steering wheel every time I plug in and it says "unplug the power cord,dummy."
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bucky several years ago I won a EGT set up for my race car after relating that on DRR. We had stopped for fuel on the way and I was getting excellent fuel mileage...wonder why? Trust me IT HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't unhook shore power 2 times at home, repaired a rear axle seal, released the brake to turn the wheels, and couldn't get the leveling jacks to operate, Backed into a mountain side, pulled the rear cap off, changed the back-up camera to a color to prevent it happening again. Trusted the back-up camera backing into a FS spot and hit a tree, mike didn't work when it warmed up. Went dry camping and passing the last outpost, looked and saw the water spigot and realized I hadn't fill the fresh water tank. Know how hard it is to turn a 35 foot MH around on a 25 foot wide road?
Wildmanbaker

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky1320 wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
My best? Always,always,always chock your trailer wheels before unhooking.... no matter how level the site looks, especially when your wife is inside the trailer!

Also, you cannot stop a four ton trailer from rolling by grabbing the tongue jack.

OK. I can't be the only one that gets a visual of that! I want the video. 🙂

No film, but it was as ugly, and yet funny as you can imagine.

By the way SHE chocks the wheels now! Smart Lady.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
My best? Always,always,always chock your trailer wheels before unhooking.... no matter how level the site looks, especially when your wife is inside the trailer!

Also, you cannot stop a four ton trailer from rolling by grabbing the tongue jack.

OK. I can't be the only one that gets a visual of that! I want the video. 🙂
1999 Harney Renegade
Mostly used for overnights at the drag strip.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer

Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
once after leaving a campground, DW said "what is flapping outside my window?"

I'd forgotten to put the door awning in...
We pulled off in a handy parking lot. I hit the switch and nothing happens... I look and wiggle and prod. nothing. I don't have a ladder so I unhooked the jeep and pulled it next to the coach so I could climb up and reach the awning. All looks normal. I need the toolbox so I can start taking stuff apart, but that compartment is locked... hmm keys are in the ignition (motor is still running...)

So I move the jeep, get the keys (shutting down the diesel...) open the compartment, get the toolbox out...

And just for fun give the retract switch one last try... WHIIRRR in goes the awning.

They interlocked it to the ignition switch!
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog