cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Penguin ii HP upgraded

TonyCarri76
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1982 coachmen TT and the brisk air duo/therm finally went out on me last weekend. So I bought 2 used Dometic Penguin ii #651815c from my cousin for $100. I have hooked one up and i bypassed the fan and compressor to see if they work and the units work. Now here is the kicker these units have the 12 to 5 button board #3109229.009 . Now I have ran a 12dcv for the thermostat to power on and the unit is hooked up to the 115ac wiring, but the thermostat reads CODE EE and I held down the mode and zone buttons and powered the tstat on and I get FF but as soon as i let go of the 2 buttons it still reads EE. I connected the tstat directly to the board and still get the code. Can anyone help me out please
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
This is the ONLY way to reset the system.

16. SYSTEM RESET
a. Turn the ON/OFF switch to OFF position.
b. Simultaneously depress and hold the MODE and ZONE
push-buttons while turning the ON/OFF switch to ON.
FF should appear in the LCD display until the MODE
and ZONE push-buttons are released.
c. When a dip switch is turned on or off after initial configu
ration, a system reset will need to be done before the
Comfort Control Center will recognize the updated selection.

TonyCarri76
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so what i did is swap the ac unit ...I have 2, so when i hooked up the other unit it turned on and no EE code. It has been working just fine up until yesterday when i turned the unit on and 1 hr later the unit turned off and so i set the temp to 65 to see if it would turn on and nothing. So I came home from work and turned the Tstat off and I got the EE code. So i just turned the unit off and tripped the breaker to see if I can reset the system this way. The communication phone wire is fine and there is 12dcv because the Tstat turns on just the EE code . Hopefully this board didn't go bad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
TonyCarri76 wrote:
The wires that are hanging are acv wires and the blk, red wires those I have hooked them up to the converter it had an open circuit that i put a 7.5 bulb fuse and now the Tstat has power but still reads EE. The link that tou put doesn't work. I have an other unit that I'm going to bench test to see if it works with the Tstat maybe it is the cable

As I stated, The 4 wire Phone type cable is a COMMUNICATION cable. It takes all 4 wires to be correctly installed in the modular plug ends. DO NOT get hung up on the Red and Black wires of that 4 wire cable. You are connecting DC 12 volts to the RED wire coming out of the control board and the Black wire for ground(neg) out of the control board? You are not trying to to split the 4 wire phone type cable to get to the Red and Black in that cable are you? If so, NO. EE stands for NO/lack of communication. Doug

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ccc5.pdf

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MountainAir05 wrote:
What doug gave you was working but not now. This is the same one but a shorter version.

Thanks. But my link works for me??? what gives? Doug

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
What doug gave you was working but not now. This is the same one but a shorter version.

TonyCarri76
Explorer
Explorer
The wires that are hanging are acv wires and the blk, red wires those I have hooked them up to the converter it had an open circuit that i put a 7.5 bulb fuse and now the Tstat has power but still reads EE. The link that tou put doesn't work. I have an other unit that I'm going to bench test to see if it works with the Tstat maybe it is the cable

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Boards rarely fail. You are a novice. I would verify the install from the link I provided before you start buying parts. Doug

TonyCarri76
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to post a picture but i don't think I can do talhat on this site

TonyCarri76
Explorer
Explorer
The Rj11 wire I bought 4 wire plugs and put the wires like I've seen online and now i have power to the Tstat were that before I didn't. I think it might be the board but before I drop over $100 for a new board i just want to see if anyone might think that i did something wrong . The 4 wire is set up clip to the top yellow green red and black and the other plug is set up the same way

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
TonyCarri76 wrote:
I have a 1982 coachmen TT and the brisk air duo/therm finally went out on me last weekend. So I bought 2 used Dometic Penguin ii #651815c from my cousin for $100. I have hooked one up and i bypassed the fan and compressor to see if they work and the units work. Now here is the kicker these units have the 12 to 5 button board #3109229.009 . Now I have ran a 12dcv for the thermostat to power on and the unit is hooked up to the 115ac wiring, but the thermostat reads CODE EE and I held down the mode and zone buttons and powered the tstat on and I get FF but as soon as i let go of the 2 buttons it still reads EE. I connected the tstat directly to the board and still get the code. Can anyone help me out please

You DID use 4 wire phone type wire? The wire is called a Communication cable and you CANNOT use standard Phone cables. COM cables are wired in reverse to phone modular connections. Now, you CANNOT wire 12 volt to the tstat. You wire 12 volt to the 5 button board for the AC unit. THAT then supplies the needed power to the wall tstat. Doug

http://beamalarm.com/Documents/duo_therm_5_button_3109228.001_troubleshooting.html