cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Doorbell operates steps??

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
Recently I have had the experience of the doorbell operating the Kwikee steps. When parked in RV spot, engine off, steps extend on opening the door and stay extended. This is normal. The weird thing is that if you press the doorbell, the steps retract. The steps stay in even when the door is opened. You have to toggle the step button inside to extend the steps again, and then everything goes back to normal until the doorbell is depressed. Anybody had this issue, hints where to look??
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units
9 REPLIES 9

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a 1997 HR Imp., 38CDS? If it is, I'd be asking over at the Monaco Owner's Forum in the hopes that another HR or Monaco owner has had the same problem. Sounds like a crossed/shorted wire to me.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Not_a_Yurt_
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
Mighty unfriendly motorhome you have. Must not like visitors.

Funniest thing I've seen on this forum in a while!

I agree with disconnecting the doorbell. Folks can knock!
Chris and Diana
Two cats
1998 Pace Arrow
2008 Honda CRV

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Im not totally positive...but from years of experience I can state....SUMPTIN AINT RIGHT!!!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
deandec wrote:
Disconnect the door bell. Not needed.

It is a hardwired bell, no batteries, so if there is a cross connection somewhere to the steps disconnecting sounds good to me. This only recently started to happen. Corrosion, bad ground, maybe the 12V source is shared with the steps, who knows?????
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Disconnect the door bell. Not needed.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First: Doorbells on RV's are rare.. 2nd: That is NOT proper operation, should be no connection between them.

On my RV, yes there is an aftermarket doorbell, it is 100% independent of all RV systems, runs on "D" batteries (It's own) no connection at all to RV systems.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I would say that the doorbell is 12 volt and someone has wired the door bell button to the Magnetic Step switch somehow. Doug

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ding dong - BAM there goes somebody's shins!

I would call the manufacturer and ask them about that!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Mighty unfriendly motorhome you have. Must not like visitors.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes