cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving Hwy 395 ..... Oregon to Nevada

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip in our 40 foooter this month (March) down to Lost Wages. Have never driven it before so not sure of it's "driver friendly" condition, hills, fueling, snow and rest areas. Appreciate your input!!
17 REPLIES 17

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
2ndhom wrote:
Any thoughts to using Hwy 95 rather than 395 thru California??

That is the route that davebrown recommended and I agreed with. I live in Carson City, NV, and always use 95 to Vegas anytime of the year. Hwy 395 will add unnecessary extra mileage, and depending on the time of year you stand an increased risk of weather related issues due to its higher elevations.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
I usually use US95 south from Reno to Vegas. 395 is more scenic but high elevations. US95 is more desolate but an easy drive. I often overnight at Whiskey Flats RV Park in Hawthorne, NV.
From Reno I take 80 east to Fearnly and take US50 to Fallon then US95 south.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts to using Hwy 95 rather than 395 thru California??

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
2ndhom wrote:
I'll check the ODOT web site ... it tells you some of the temps at a higher elevation as well as a live camera. Haven't found one for California and Nevada yet.

California - CA Highway Conditions
NV - NV Highway Conditions

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
I'll check the ODOT web site ... it tells you some of the temps at a higher elevation as well as a live camera. Haven't found one for California and Nevada yet.

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
If the weather is good, this is a scenic trip. The forecasts should be good for 24 hours. Check also the winds -- I have seen 50 mph crosswinds at Lone Pine in the shadow of Mt. Whitney.
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

davebrown
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
It's a good route, but expect snow possibly into May. Also overnight plowing sometimes doesn't happen during bad storms. Also, practice installing the chains before you need them.

Anything is possible but have driven this route mid march several times and never saw snow other than the odd patch under a shaded tree
at summit of a pass

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good route, but expect snow possibly into May. Also overnight plowing sometimes doesn't happen during bad storms. Also, practice installing the chains before you need them.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Carry chains. 1 set for the MH and another set for the toad. In a number of states,if you are towing a trailer or toad with aux braking,you'll need them.
My kids were coming back from Ca on I-5 and hit snow and the CHP said chain up both the car and the U-haul they were pulling. They said that the trailer had only breakaway brakes. The CHP said that they were still brakes and they had to chain it.Another one came by while the first one was waiting to see that they put them on and they asked him and he told them that it wouldn't help and wasn't needed,only if they were aux brakes.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
davebrown wrote:
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Just north of Bishop there is a gem of a campground off the highway about a mile.

Have a look at Brown's Millpond Campground.

Mike

for what reason would he go to bishop? If hes going to LV?
and besides all that Mamath is 8400 feet.Could be snow there in march

For sure I don't want to incurr snow on the roads!!!

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
davebrown wrote:
your best route is 58 over to 97 to Klamath falls then east on 139/299 to alturas.Ca then 395 south to reno,Take 80 east to 95 and 95 south to LV
this is the shortest route

I have been on all of these highways, and would agree 100% with this route.

davebrown
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Just north of Bishop there is a gem of a campground off the highway about a mile.

Mike

for what reason would he go to bishop? If hes going to LV?
and besides all that Mamath is 8400 feet.Could be snow there in march

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer

Mike
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

davebrown
Explorer
Explorer
2ndhom wrote:
Planning a trip in our 40 foooter this month (March) down to Lost Wages. Have never driven it before so not sure of it's "driver friendly" condition, hills, fueling, snow and rest areas. Appreciate your input!!

your best route is 58 over to 97 to Klamath falls then east on 139/299 to alturas.Ca then 395 south to reno,Take 80 east to 95 and 95 south to LV
this is the shortest route