cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving tips - newbie here

live4thedash
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here - Have a 35 foot MH. Towing a small car. Searching various posts but unable to find any advice about when and how to shift to lower or higher gears. Recengly went for small weekend jaunt. Towed the car. used the "tow haul" button. Noticed when going down some small hills when I pressed the brake it felt like the engine would go to a lower gear all on its own. Didn't know how to get out of it. Also watched rpms climb...so again how do I get out of it when rpms get to high. Tried to downshift to 3rd but that seemed to push the rpms higher. Anyways...any info greatly appreciated...thanks..
23 REPLIES 23

Les_Balty
Explorer
Explorer
That V-10 is a great engine. I have had several different motorhomes and traversed mountain passes in Colorado with ease. The Higher revving V-10 takes a little getting used to sound-wise but it is governed. I downshift and save my brakes. Always use the Tow/haul when loaded heavy or pulling motorcycle trailer. I used to use the OD off function before tow/haul too. The F53 chassis is awesome. If I were getting a NEW RV to replace my DP it would be one of these. Let that V-10 sing and enjoy the freedom of the open road.
Les Balty

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I am not a fan of tow haul mode. I think it runs up the rpm unnecessarily and when you have the rpm already up at 4500 there is not much you can do manually to regain control running downhill. Speed control I will use on flat ground but finds that it hunts to much in hilly areas. I have checked my extended gas milage both ways and find that manual is equal to or slightly better than tow/speed control.
pops

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
frankdamp wrote:
I had the impression that the transmission in the V-10/F-53 rigs was a Ford-made unit, not an Allison.

Correct. With an improvement to a stronger 5 speed coming in the 2005/6 model year when the V10 went to 362 HP.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
I had the impression that the transmission in the V-10/F-53 rigs was a Ford-made unit, not an Allison.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Allison transmission can do that downshift thing to assist with engine braking, I do not know of Tow/Haul will do it but Grade Brake does and it may be they mis-labeled the switch (it only has two modes. which two is determined by the programmer when its factory programmed).

This, saves wear and tear on the brakes, and is thus a good thing.

To shift back up.. Tap accelerator.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't worry about it until it gets over 6000 rpm. Don't know about the current versions, but the older 2V would go to 5800 at full throttle before any cutouts started applying.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever the transmission control computer does is fine. If you're used to the older low-revving engines, the V-10 is a bit of a surprise. I switched from a 1985 Class C with the old 460 to a 2002 Class A with the V-10. Fortunately. I have a motorcycle background (worked for Norton-Villiers before we emigrated), so high revs are not unusual to me.

I remember a 50-cc Isle of Man TT bike from Honda that developed its peak torque at 15,000 rpm and max power at around 23,000. It had a 16-speed transmission! I figured the rider had the clutch pulled to shift gears about 15% of the time.

The V-10 is a fairly high-tech, high rpm engine by US standards. If the various control computers are allowed to do their thing, they won't let the engine get damaged. Just let them run things and don't try to second guess them and use manual shifting. Ford engineers (a couple of whom I know) did an awful lot of work to get those computers to consider every possible scenario and respond appropriately.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Maladjusted wrote:
I am a newbie with a 40' DP!

nevermind Fire... I jumped right into the blast furnace!!

Mal

Way to go! You must have read that advice to buy your last rv first. Enjoy
Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
Tow/Haul mode came out in the late 2000 on many gas vehicles. It changes the tranny shift points and when the torque converter kicks in. Unlike the OD feature of the past this is computer controlled. Awesome feature to have.

Tow Haul mode does act like a engine brake when going down hill. I prefer to leave it on and just use the brakes occasionally to slow the RV down. If you don't like the high RPM's turn tow haul off and plan on using your brakes more (which can reduce there life and warp rotors).

If you are on a hilly road, tow a car, heavy winds or just fully loaded I would also run the tow haul mode as it will let the engine rev a little higher in gear which is good in those conditions. Light load and tail wind you may not want it on.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
cgmartine wrote:
It has been a few months since this thread started, but I would like to join in and ask a question. I also have a Ford V-10 Triton, Class C. Going up any slight grade, the motorhome slows down considerably. If I drop it into 3rd gear, the engine revs too high.revs too high. Can I use the tow/haul button to help it go up those hills, or is it mainly used for going down hills? Thanks.

What were the RPM when it rev'ed too high? It was probably just fine for the V10.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
It is frightening that we are sold large heavy road equipment that contains systems for safe driving on grades and we are not educated in how to use them. Of course that assumes that the salesman or delivery individual actually knew how to use the equipment. Lack of knowledge about descending steep grades will kill RVers and innocent victims in their path. It happens! Shifting up to "protect the engine" could result in loss of control of the vehicle unless brakes are firmly applied and then what happens to the brakes. They fade away.

Tow/Haul Ford and Grade Brake GM both provide a margin of safety initiating the downshift that a knowledgeable driver could take on his/her own. Understanding that the higher revs are helpful and that the tach is the source of information about engine speed and not hearing alone is vital. My old 8.1 L would howl all the way up a long grade at 4,500 RPM in 1st or second and just say thanks for the exercise at the crest. I must not have been to bad as it was still running smoothly when I sold it with over 105,000 miles on it. Likewise on long descents the Allison would never let the engine over rev it just upshifted and then I had to hit the brakes to get under my target speed and start the cycle over.

They don't teach you this when they hand you the keys and say have great day. They ought to.

Rant mode off
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Too high does not explain what the RPM actually are when climbing hills.

TOW HAUL can be used all time if needed to keep the transmission from shifting in and out so much such in foothills where it downshifts and upshifts with each grade. It will not hurt the transmission.

The transmission will help to brake speed downhill in the mountains and if the RPM get too high 4,000-5,000 for a length of time them brake hard to slow the vehicle and drop the RPMs. It may actually shift up a gear allowing speed to increase. If needed to shift down hit the brakes a couple times to check the speed and the transmission will downshift again.

4,000-5,000 RPM will not hurt the vehicle for short periods of time, like climbing steep grades or descending steep grades. The V-10 develops its max HP at 4,800 RPM.

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
Going uphill, I would let the transmission do its job and leave it alone
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a few months since this thread started, but I would like to join in and ask a question. I also have a Ford V-10 Triton, Class C. Going up any slight grade, the motorhome slows down considerably. If I drop it into 3rd gear, the engine revs too high. Can I use the tow/haul button to help it go up those hills, or is it mainly used for going down hills? Thanks.