cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of rust on the stator and coil on my gen set?

tpcollins
Explorer
Explorer
Working on my gen set today I had to make a "puller" to get the outside cap off from the bearing. I'm not sure of the terminology but I think it's the 4 stator pads on the armature that are rather rusty as it the angled "slats" on the inside of the coil.

Not sure if this is an issue, and if so, how would I going about cleaning it up without screwing it up? Thanks.
Tim Collins
1995 Newmar 35' Dutch Star diesel pusher, acquired 1/21/05
2 REPLIES 2

tpcollins
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
If it is just surface corrosion and not a heavy buildup of scale I wouldn't worry about it. If you really want to tear it apart be careful not to damage components, If you really want to tear it apart be careful not to damage components, mark the connections and take pictures of the wire routing. Mistakes here can be very costly.

Oh - you mean like removing the brush assy before pulling the end off?

I marked all the wires and had to make a puller out of a piece of 1/4" plate and it worked great including busting the brushes - just ordered new ones.

I still suspect some continuity issues between the wires from the inside coil to and thru the terminals on the circuit board side. Hopefully my son can find any issues with them.
Tim Collins
1995 Newmar 35' Dutch Star diesel pusher, acquired 1/21/05

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is just surface corrosion and not a heavy buildup of scale I wouldn't worry about it. If you really want to tear it apart be careful not to damage components, mark the connections and take pictures of the wire routing. Mistakes here can be very costly.