cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical Problem

Gremma
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a used 1999 Pace Arrow. It is 31 feet with a v10 engine. It is very clean and has low miles. The previous owner told me of a problem with the engine cutting out while driving. Putting the shift in neutral and restarting the engine got you going again. He said he thought it was fixed and on our test drive there was no problem, however, on the way home we had the cutout problem numerous times. Putting the shift in neutral and restarting the engine got us going for awhile. This motorhome had not been used all winter and has a half tank of gas. Any idea what might be the problem?
4 REPLIES 4

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
as Mountain air said put a code tester on it.

You can get a OBD-II to blue tooth adapter.. I've had about 50/50 luck with em. Hold on...
Ebay

Just plugged it into my Jeep.. Fired up TORQUE on my phone (They also have a diagnostic program but I already have Torque) and it worked.

HOWEVER.. i had one incident where Torque messed up the car's computer. it's not supposed to do that but it did. Only happened once and I was configuring the display so I may have picked an option that the jeep did not like.

Never had an issue with my older rides though
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
put a code tester on it. My 99 did the same thing and I move the intake around to fix part of it. Only did it when cold so don't think it was the same. As stated check the air cleaner for a nest. You might check the coil on plugs. If you have a timing light plug a spark plug cable into where the spark plug goes and the other end of the cable on the spark plug and test each plug. I had many that were on/off and 2 or 3 that just were bad. # 4 and 5 for sure since they are under the water hose for the heater and it the clamp is loose or a bad hose leaks onto the Coil on plug. Replace them I think between 40 and 50 thousand miles. My engine stop issue went away after that Except the engine stopping when it was cold and I tried to leave out and get up to speed. Just spent a little longer letting it warm up and a slow run to get back on the road. No issues after that at all. Go easy on the spark plugs when taking them in/out. The 99 was one of the engine that only had a few threads. Ensure you use a low torque on those plugs.

Might add change out the fuel filter. Located LH rain behind driver seat. You will need the little plastic tool to get it off. Always keep one on hand.

Bruce_Brown
Check the air cleaner. Back then there was an issue with water getting in the intake. Ford had a TSB out on it, it worked.

Normally that would just make it cough and sputter but if it's gone on long enough it could have compromised the air intake enough to do what you're saying.

Other places to look would be fuel filters and possibly even the fuel pump.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Did it occur when you went over a bump? If so maybe a loose connection.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer