cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exhaust brake

Old_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 36 ft. motorhome with exhaust brake and have been driving many years both m/h and truck and I can't find where it is said that
using the exhaust brake in bad weather can not be used...any help on the matter would help, not looking for a argument.
Thanks
Bill
Bill
36 Holiday Rambler
Harley Rider
16 REPLIES 16

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm never going to stop and wait for the road to dry before descending a mountain. If there's snow and ice, I shouldn't be there in the first place.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, I've drove diesels with exhaust brakes all my life (44-1/4 years), and I didn't use a exhaust brake when it was icy or snowy! What a exhaust brake, retarder or Jake Brake does is it turns your diesel engine into a compressor by closing the valves therefore creating back pressure, which slows down the vehicle. Good Question

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
FIRE UP wrote:
Old Blue wrote:
I have a 36 ft. motorhome with exhaust brake and have been driving many years both m/h and truck and I can't find where it is said that
using the exhaust brake in bad weather can not be used...any help on the matter would help, not looking for a argument.
Thanks
Bill

Old Blue,
Well Sir, first off, being that your coach is a 36' unit, and, you don't say what specific type of "exhaust brake" you have, I'm going to assume, that you have an EXAUST BRAKE, and not a "Jake Brake" or, otherwise known as a Jacobs Engine brake. I'm also assuming that since you say you've driven trucks etc., that you know the difference between the two.

Now, with that being said, basically they both apply a type of what's called a "secondary braking". The true type Jake brake, especially if it's a two, or three stage, is considerably more effective than a basic exhaust brake. Don't get me wrong here, the actual exhaust brake is a good, secondary braking system and, many, including myself, rely upon it heavily for a large percentage of grades and, general driving and braking.

Now, just how and when one uses either one of these secondary braking systems is of course, up to them. Manuals, labels and warnings are a way to broadcast and suggest cautions. Since both of the secondary braking types can effect traction, especially in icy conditions, it would be advisable to follow the precautions of those manuals, labels and warnings. Experience using them, how effective they are, just how much they slow an individual vehicle down, at a given speed, on good, dry pavement/concrete, will show what kind of force is exerted.

So, realizing that kind of force, will help in making a decision to use them, in inclement/icy whether. I have used both Jake and exhaust brakes in ugly weather and driving conditions and, again, the Jake is much more effective and is more likely to cause traction issues, based on what the actual conditions are. The point here is, learn what you've got, how effective it is, and teach yourself some boundaries to drive by. Good luck.

In Nevada, The test for Class 1 and Non commercial class B, Has questions about the use of engine brakes,bad weather, etc.
The manual is very specific regarding their use.
Scott
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
mtrumpet wrote:
Ok, here's another question regarding something that I came across when looking for the info that I posted in my previous post in this thread. (I see that the page that Dennis had posted also refers to the same.)

Two excepts from my Jacobs Exhaust Brake Owners Manual:

Before starting your engine, make sure the Jacobs Exhaust Brake dash switch is in the OFF position.To activate your Jacobs Exhaust Brake, turn the dash switch ON. Whenever you need to slow your vehicle, the Jacobs Exhaust Brake will be active only when your feet are off the clutch and accelerator pedals.During vehicle operation, the Jacobs Exhaust Brake dash switch may stay ON. Your Jacobs Exhaust Brake will activate after removing your foot from the accelerator and clutch whenever the dash switch is ON.

Before shutting off your engine, always turn your Jacobs Exhaust Brake dash switch OFF. Your Jacobs Exhaust Brake should also be turned off when the engine is left idling for an extended period of time (longer than 3 minutes).

My question is, WHY? The exhaust brake is not active or activated when the engine is idling. So what difference does it make if the switch is on or not? All along, I've been leaving mine "on" all the time. The only time that I shut my exhaust brake "off" is when I'm on the highway (or going through towns that don't want you using your engine brake). Does anyone have any idea why they might want us to turn them off when starting, idling and shutting down the engine? (Clearly, I missed that when first reading my owners manual when I brought my rig home for the first time.)

mtrumpet,
I really don't know why they, Jacobs Mfg, would want the exhaust brake switch to be in the off position for starting or, shut down. I too have left mine on for about 99.99% of the time we've owned the coach which, is about 3 years now. And, not sure if you know this or not but, when a city or, municipality posts signs requiring "Engine Brakes" to be disabled in certain parts of their jurisdictions, it's the actual "ENGINE BRAKE" design, that they want restricted, not the "EXHAUST TYPE" brakes. The engine brakes, especially those of yesteryear, were horribly noisy as you may recall.

But, with todays better muffler systems, you could use those all day long in those jurisdictions and never get cited for it. But, that's beside the point here. As for the requirements in the manual for e-brake switch to be in the off position during start up, my guess is that if it malfunctioned, as in staying in or, putting itself into the closed position, you might have a starting issue. But, as you've read and, know by experience, the e-brake cannot activate until you foot is COMPLETELY off the accelerator pedal.

The throttle or, pedal position switch sends info to the engine ECM to let everyone know that, it's either being stepped on or not. Hope this helps some.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, here's another question regarding something that I came across when looking for the info that I posted in my previous post in this thread. (I see that the page that Dennis had posted also refers to the same.)

Two excepts from my Jacobs Exhaust Brake Owners Manual:

Before starting your engine, make sure the Jacobs Exhaust Brake dash switch is in the OFF position.To activate your Jacobs Exhaust Brake, turn the dash switch ON. Whenever you need to slow your vehicle, the Jacobs Exhaust Brake will be active only when your feet are off the clutch and accelerator pedals.During vehicle operation, the Jacobs Exhaust Brake dash switch may stay ON. Your Jacobs Exhaust Brake will activate after removing your foot from the accelerator and clutch whenever the dash switch is ON.

Before shutting off your engine, always turn your Jacobs Exhaust Brake dash switch OFF. Your Jacobs Exhaust Brake should also be turned off when the engine is left idling for an extended period of time (longer than 3 minutes).

My question is, WHY? The exhaust brake is not active or activated when the engine is idling. So what difference does it make if the switch is on or not? All along, I've been leaving mine "on" all the time. The only time that I shut my exhaust brake "off" is when I'm on the highway (or going through towns that don't want you using your engine brake). Does anyone have any idea why they might want us to turn them off when starting, idling and shutting down the engine? (Clearly, I missed that when first reading my owners manual when I brought my rig home for the first time.)
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

DanTheRVMan
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Yep my book clearly states do not use in rain or icy roads.

I am sure an attorney would like every caution in the world included.

There is greater risk going down a wet mountain than a dry mountain with or without an exhaust brake.

I go down wet mountains slower with my exhaust brake as going down a wet mountain while over heating my brakes does not seem like fun. I do go even slower when the roads are wet.

Icy and snowy roads in a MH is something I have no experience with and I hope to keep it that way.
Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Old Blue wrote:
Thanks
Bill

Old Blue,
Well Sir, first off, being that your coach is a 36' unit, and, you don't say what specific type of "exhaust brake" you have, I'm going to assume, that you have an EXAUST BRAKE, and not a "Jake Brake" or, otherwise known as a Jacobs Engine brake. I'm also assuming that since you say you've driven trucks etc., that you know the difference between the two.

Now, with that being said, basically they both apply a type of what's called a "secondary braking". The true type Jake brake, especially if it's a two, or three stage, is considerably more effective than a basic exhaust brake. Don't get me wrong here, the actual exhaust brake is a good, secondary braking system and, many, including myself, rely upon it heavily for a large percentage of grades and, general driving and braking.

Now, just how and when one uses either one of these secondary braking systems is of course, up to them. Manuals, labels and warnings are a way to broadcast and suggest cautions. Since both of the secondary braking types can effect traction, especially in icy conditions, it would be advisable to follow the precautions of those manuals, labels and warnings. Experience using them, how effective they are, just how much they slow an individual vehicle down, at a given speed, on good, dry pavement/concrete, will show what kind of force is exerted.

So, realizing that kind of force, will help in making a decision to use them, in inclement/icy whether. I have used both Jake and exhaust brakes in ugly weather and driving conditions and, again, the Jake is much more effective and is more likely to cause traction issues, based on what the actual conditions are. The point here is, learn what you've got, how effective it is, and teach yourself some boundaries to drive by. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Duplicate....:S...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here ya go..EVERY manual I've seen contains this warning.....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Yep my book clearly states do not use in rain or icy roads.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
From the Jacobs Exhaust Brakes Owners Manual:

"The Jacobs Exhaust Brake is a retarding device intended to help control vehicle speed. It is not a vehicle stopping device. On an uphill climb with the Jacobs Exhaust Brake ON, taking your foot off the accelerator will result in rapid vehicle slow down due to uphill grade and retarding power. Operation on wet, slick or icy roads is not recommended. Use the Jacobs Exhaust Brake ONLY when you have good, dry traction with the road. Before shutting off your engine, always turn your Jacobs Exhaust Brake dash switch OFF. Your Jacobs Exhaust Brake should also be turned off when the engine is left idling for an extended period of time (longer than 3 minutes).

Never operate the Jacobs Exhaust Brake on wet or icy road surfaces. Always be sure of your traction".
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Use your judgement, when it's icy, don't use it but if it's -40, which is bad weather in 50 MPH winds you can.

Old_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, ScottG that's all I needed to hear....again thanks
Bill
Bill
36 Holiday Rambler
Harley Rider

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You don't want to use it in very slippery conditions, like snow. It can make the wheels break loose.