cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending the Chassis Battery Cable Question

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to move my starter battery in the MH from under the entry steps to the front of the coach, closer to the starter. It probably will take about 4' of extra battery cable, What is the best way to join the existing battery terminal end to an extension battery cable. Is there some sort of junction box for doing this?

AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler
10 REPLIES 10

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Racorman wrote:
I'm going to move my starter battery in the MH from under the entry steps to the front of the coach, closer to the starter. It probably will take about 4' of extra battery cable, What is the best way to join the existing battery terminal end to an extension battery cable. Is there some sort of junction box for doing this?

If an extension is indeed required, I usually just crimp on lugs as you've shown and coat them with pentrox before bolting them together and insulating in some manner.
What is the reason for this and are you attempting to make room for another house battery perhaps?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Racorman wrote:
Born To Travel wrote:
I would find the starter relay and measure from there to where the battery will be re-located and go to the auto parts store and get a new cable that length... The longer the cable the more resistance and the less amps there will be for starting.. cables are a common item at the parts store..

I just figure that if this does not work....... I'll buy a bigger starter battery. Money is no object with this rig. We got it for 1/2 price.

Buying a larger battery doesn't solve the problem. You still have to get the amps to the starter. By extending the cable run, you are adding more resistance and could reduce the amperage being supplied.

You need to use a cable resistance chart to determine the correct size cables. A good one can be found on the West Marine website or on the Blue Sea site. Remember, you have to figure the total length of the cables meaning from the battery, to the starter and return to the battery

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
roam1 wrote:
If you move it closer, you should figure a way to shorten the cable, not add to it

I agree. One more point for connection corrosion to cause frustrating problems.

Don't you guys use CRC 05046 Technician Grade Battery Terminal Protector?
AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer
Born To Travel wrote:
I would find the starter relay and measure from there to where the battery will be re-located and go to the auto parts store and get a new cable that length... The longer the cable the more resistance and the less amps there will be for starting.. cables are a common item at the parts store..

I just figure that if this does not work....... I'll buy a bigger starter battery. Money is no object with this rig. We got it for 1/2 price.
AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
roam1 wrote:
If you move it closer, you should figure a way to shorten the cable, not add to it

I agree. One more point for connection corrosion to cause frustrating problems.

Racorman
Explorer
Explorer

Found a solution.....
AKA..... 56Nomad
2012 Itasca 30' Class A
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler

cj7365
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what gauge cable you are using now, but extending it 4' you might want to consider upsizing one gauge. I would also use one piece of wire and not consider splicing

roam1
Explorer
Explorer

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Battery Relocation Kit

They may have different sizes available or even custom, as needed.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74