cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F53 Rear sway bar bushings

22WANDER
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Ford f53 chassis and the rear sway bar bushings are gone. How hard are they to replace? Is it something I can I do myself?
The Ford guys want $250. to replace them. Seems high. Online I can buy them for $30 dollars. Any help would appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18

AdequateRV
Explorer
Explorer
mc.cc wrote:
Yes, it is probably the easiest job on a motor home to do other than changing the oil. I did mine. While you are doing that, do the cheap handling fix. Very simple to do.

Disagree.... The sway bar bushings are much easier than changing the oil ๐Ÿ™‚

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is probably the easiest job on a motor home to do other than changing the oil. I did mine. While you are doing that, do the cheap handling fix. Very simple to do.
Mark

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Your post suggests that the listing is for a different product than the previous link other than just the quantity. Saying "Slightly more money but of known quality." makes it appear that it's a product from a different vendor.

OK, I see the problem. I was suggesting that the OP not purchase the bushings that he found on Ebay, that is from a different vendor. Thus the note about the price difference. I intended no comparison to the previous link.

Richard

Ahh, ok, now it makes sense to me. It's all good, Richard... ๐Ÿ™‚
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
You asked how hard are they to replace? Very easy. I replaced my rear bushings in less than 30 minutes. The new ones are split so they just slip over the bar. Took longer to cut the old ones off than to in stall the new ones. Your job should be easy if the old ones are already gone. Wheels flat on the ground and I did use a bottle jack to gently raise the anti-sway bar to easily align the bolts.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
You may want to consider This Guy on Ebay. Slightly more money but of known quality. I have a set of his rear bushings that I purchased about 8 years ago. They still look like new and he offers good customer service with life time warranty. Lets hope he's not 109 years old. GRIN

Richard

The item you linked to is being sold by the same "skuterdude" that's selling the item in the previous link.

Yes I know. He has several Ebay bushing offerings. The "previous" link you mention was bushings for both ends. The OP only wanted the rears.
So......your point is?

Richard

Your post suggests that the listing is for a different product than the previous link other than just the quantity. Saying "Slightly more money but of known quality." makes it appear that it's a product from a different vendor.

OK, I see the problem. I was suggesting that the OP not purchase the bushings that he found on Ebay, that is from a different vendor. Thus the note about the price difference. I intended no comparison to the previous link.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
You may want to consider This Guy on Ebay. Slightly more money but of known quality. I have a set of his rear bushings that I purchased about 8 years ago. They still look like new and he offers good customer service with life time warranty. Lets hope he's not 109 years old. GRIN

Richard

The item you linked to is being sold by the same "skuterdude" that's selling the item in the previous link.

Yes I know. He has several Ebay bushing offerings. The "previous" link you mention was bushings for both ends. The OP only wanted the rears.
So......your point is?

Richard

Dutch

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:

Richard

So......your point is?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:

Richard

Dutch

22WANDER
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the help. I looked under Rv and yep like the Ford guys says their gone! It looks like they were never installed. I will order new bushings (blue) ones online and install then myself. Maybe its a good idea to crawl under the Rv and look for missing parts from to time! The salesman said it was a rolling earthquake. Thanks Chuck Life is Good!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
If one side is slightly lower you can put the bottle under that side of the anti sway and raise bar just enough for the bolt to slide out. Repeat to put the bolt back in. You may have to press fit the bushing in.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Why would you need to jack it up at all? As long as the coach/wheels are level, there will be no pressure on the sway bar end links.

Ditto! I replaced mine with all wheels on the ground. There was no pressure on the sway bar. Be sure to put the included lube inside the bushing or you'll hear squeaking constantly!

Here's what I used to replace both front and rear...

Poly Sway Bar Bushings
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you need to jack it up at all? As long as the coach/wheels are level, there will be no pressure on the sway bar end links.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
22WANDER wrote:
When you say jack up do you mean with the Rv leveler jacks or a bottle type jack?

You can use either type of jack to raise the rear end BUT you should never work underneath the coach without the coach frame being supported by wooden blocks or jack stands that are setting on a firm surface, like concrete. You do not want the coach to come down if a jack fails.
Saving a few bucks is not worth it if it kills or injures you.